godfrog

Remote cameras

I was watching fear factor and was looking at the cameras that they wear on their helmets. I ask people at the camera store what they were and they told me the lense is worn on the helmet and the actual camera is worn on the belt and transmits the video real time to a reciever and people can watch real time action but nobody seemed to know where I could get one. Anybody know about these or where to find them to buy?
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

If you're talking about wired-to-deck cameras, I have this to say:

MonkeyKam used to sell lipstick camera parts and kits for connecting to and using regular digital video cameras as tape decks, but I don't see that stuff on their site anymore.

I found this in a previous post.

Basically you can get a camera lens and CCD that takes power and provides some sort of signal in a small package with one or two long wires, stick this on your helmet or wherever you really feel it needs to go, then plug the wires into a digital video camera that can take an external input.

One problem is that my old Sony PC-1 doesn't take external video input. :(

Another problem is that video shake reduction can be done digitally in the deck and mechanically in the lens/CCD assembly. I'm not a paid pimp for Sony when I say I understand their digital camcorders do both. Having a camera just do it digitally reduces image clarity/quality/resolution (when there are shakes that get digitally removed). I presume using a remote head on a Sony camera would eliminate the advantage of the mechanical vibration damping because the remote head wouldn't have those components. But on any other camera that doesn't have mechanical damping anyway, it shouldn't make a difference.

If you're talking about wireless cameras, then basically they take one of those "spy cameras" you see in all the X10 camera ads (that aren't as prevalent on the Internet as they once were, thank goodness) and they slap a battery pack on it. The X10 denomination has next to nothing to do with the camera (but it sound sexy); these cameras broadcast the video by radio to a receiver, as you say you heard.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.