mattyblast

Hot glue smell after 1st jump

Hey folks. After my first ever jump (this past August--AFF Level 1--what a life-changing experience!!), my sense of smell seemed a little goofed up for about the next 48 hours. Everything smelled like it had a weird hot glue or burnt plastic smell mixed in with it.

Does anyone else remember their sense of smell being affected like that from skydiving?

I have two theories. One is that the fear I was experiencing was releasing some sort of gland or something--the "smell of fear," so to speak. The other is that the wind rushing into my nose took its toll on the part of the nostrils that differentiate types of smells. But it only happened on the first jump.

Or maybe it was a dirty jumpsuit. :)

Thoughts on this, anyone?
"DOOR!!!"

Have experienced heightened senses due to major adrenaline rush. Rarely happens but has happened on a few occasions. Upon landing after an unbelievable senseless act the air smells and tastes sweeter, colors dense, body buzz'n. Pure adrenaline from within has had the most affect on the senses, no doubt. Has happened when the holy freak'n sh*** can't believe it happened and i made it type of experience. Hot glue? Had a buddy smelled burning nylon upon landing. He had struck a wall 6 times landed sitting up concious and broken. His container had melted a bit during his wall strikes and talus slide. He made it!

yeah, its a mixture of the poop in your pants, and the aviation fuel

Ahhh, the smell of fear!

i tell you what !!!!

i've felt my bowel's loosen when i've been in the door, and had to go for a crap when i got on the floor, it was as loose as anything !!! like turning a tap on and brown water coming out.... thats the power of real fear

***i tell you what !!!!

i've felt my bowel's loosen when i've been in the door, and had to go for a crap when i got on the floor, it was as loose as anything !!! like turning a tap on and brown water coming out.... thats the power of real fear

I think you went to the "too much information booth"
:ph34r::ph34r:

I don't get it from skydiving, but yeah, I've noticed that there is definitely a smell that goes with extreme fear/excitement. And hot glue isn't too far off how I'd describe it either.

I don't think it's heightened senses in general... just that weird, high-pitched adrenal smell.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Ya well, welcome! Ever met a jumper who brews up the next days 'smell of fear' with such things as beer, devil'd eggs,beer,boiled eggs, beer,steak and potatoes,beer,pickled eggs, beer. Believe me there are some very fearful jumpers out there!

Sorry for the serious answer, but . . .

Apocrine scent - whan a portion of the cell is released with secretion - occurs during flight or fight response (fear scent).

I've seen my dogs behavior change when they are tracking a person that is experiencing fear - they really turn it up a notch.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

Your probably smelling aviation fuel, I actually got to really loving the smell and it was welcomed on arrival to a D.Z. Plus my rig smelled like it I guess from hanging on the outside of airplanes...

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

Your probably smelling aviation fuel, I actually got to really loving the smell and it was welcomed on arrival to a D.Z. Plus my rig smelled like it I guess from hanging on the outside of airplanes...

i love the smell of the Grand Caravan when they start the engine... it's just a pity i'm one of the first on the plane with pulling so high

I've seen my dogs behavior change when they are tracking a person that is experiencing fear - they really turn it up a notch.

Um.. What else do you do for fun that requires dogs to track a human experiencing fear and can I come next time?

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

Um.. What else do you do for fun that requires dogs to track a human experiencing fear and can I come next time?

An Alzheimer's patient doesn't experierience fear when they wander, a fleeing felon does. Mickey the dog refuses to track skydivers, he says they taste funny (as opposed to crack dealers that taste like chicken). :P

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

AV gas (aviation fuel) smells like glue to me. Maybe that is it.

AV/race gas has a sweet smell.. I love it.. We use it in the boats..

When I used to smell diesel it reminded me of traffic.. now when I’m in traffic smelling diesel.. it reminds me of skydiving..
Then I set the autopilot in my truck and daydream the rest of the way home

I didn't smell anything funny after my first jump but after my first 2 or 3 Solo Jumps I found that I had a fountain of snot running out of my nose. (pretty picture I am sure)
:ph34r:
It was almost like my sinuses had opened right up and upon landing the allergens (I think they ganged up on me) decided to attack my newly opened sinuses.

I can honestly say that that much snot has not come out of my nose before.
hahahahaha
Derec Davies
Big_Red