Calvin19

How close is too close for a wingsuit to fly by when u r under canopy?

i think our problem is still haveing no number attached to the so called buzz

Thats because it will vary by person (both buzzer and buzzie). And the situation.

A planned buzz job by Rob Jones or Chuck Blue under my personal canopy at 3 grand could get a bunch closer to me than some random guy with me under a Tandem canopy at 2 grand.

See the difference from the cones perspective? To you its just a canopy to play with, but to me its the difference of looking for a cool buzz job, or while trying to be a safe TI getting some yahoo maybe freaking out my student.

Totally different situations and the distance will be different.

and possibly the scrunched panties of a few old timers (not just you ron)

Dude, Im not old...That has to be some kind of personal attack, I'm only 33:P

Funny thing though...I wonder what you will be like with 10 more skydiving years behind you. Back when I had a few hundred jumps I used to do some really dumb shit (low pulls were the cool thing) and I have been in freefall below 1,000 enough times to get a license in it. Thing is, I would not do it today. Maybe I am old?

But the difference was that the only person I would have killed was me. I was not risking anyones life to get my fun.

as for docking on my canopy at 1200'...
now YOUR just being dramatic.

Not dramtic, I have done it. Doug Wolf and myself. We ended up getting the pin so low that we had to hook turn the two stack. Not smart, but then again I had a few hundred jumps and thought I was bullet proof.

but if you did i wouldnt break your nose, i would say "Dude! that was cool, but warn me next time"

And others will have different reactions.

ALL of this can be avoided by not getting close to people who you didn't ask and get permission.

If someone tells you its OK, ask how close you can get and then its a done deal....No need to guess.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

We've done some buzzjobs on each other, for instance I tend to pull higher than most of our other wingsuiters, so I got buzzed a time or two. The closest I come to "buzzing" myself is opening in view (and not going straight at em) of a tandem master or high-puller, but that's no closer than 500 ft or so. I also got top-docked a time or two, by experienced crw people. I don't mind, even if it's low and/or not pre-planned, because I know and trust these people. If you buzz or topdock me and I don't know you, I'm going to be very pissed.

So, for me it totally depends on the person. I'm cool with proximity flying (freefall or canopy), opening close together, endcell bumping or docking, but only with regulars ;) Ok so I'm crazy sometimes. Our 3ways with vengeances sorta cinched that I guess :o:D

Just don't let go of me at 800 ft on the wrong side of the airfield again :S:D

ciel bleu,
Saskia

[reply

Dude, Im not old...That has to be some kind of personal attack, I'm only 33:P

yeah... i know. like steve said im just stirring stuff up. Unplanned buzzjobs are not cool... but i dont think flying a wingsuit within 500' of an open canopy is a bad thing, i dont think it is unsafe. if somebody asked me not to do it again, i wouldnt. but my normal flight pattern (if i have one) usually puts me within a quarter mile of open canopies... nobody complains yet, (even if i do an unplanned buzz of a tandem)

As for docking low... I have done it as well, i have kinda docked a 2 stack from a jump off a 500' bridge (landed in the water, but low. and took 3 tries, and it was a offcenter dock) we are also working on docking a 2 stack cleanly off a 900' exit point, down a talus, so never more than 200' off the deck.

As for pulling low... 1000' is dirty low with skydiving gear. but dirty high with the "other gear"

I have pulled below 400' enough to know it is scary as hell, and done and seen it enough to know that there is a half second, literaly, (at about 2-300') in between
"that was sick", +1.5sec
"that was irresponsible", and +1.1sec
"he's dead" +.8sec

i just want to go jump.
If somebody pissed you off, tell them about it, ask them to not do it again, and they most likely wont.
Now that i am not sick anymore, i am going outside to go jumping. I have been crazy sick for 3 days, and have had nothing to do but try and piss people off around the world through the internet.

The last thing i need is a guy with a calvin and hobbes Thumbnail on my badside...

cheers,,,

Unplanned buzzjobs are not cool... but i dont think flying a wingsuit within 500' of an open canopy is a bad thing, i dont think it is unsafe. if somebody asked me not to do it again, i wouldnt.

Ask first. Then you won't need to deal with someone getting in your face all pissed off on the ground. This is one of the instances where asking first is the intelligent thing to do. Not asking first is opening a big can of worms and can cause more harm than you're thinking about.

Ask me first and if I know you and your skillset, I might let you. I'd let Chuck Blue or Scott (aka LouDiamond) buzz me with no worries at all. I trust them and their skills. Don't ask me...and it won't be pleasant nor pretty when we're on the ground together.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Uumm more posts than jumps ....... thanks for your thoughts on the matter, you should maybe go make a few jumps this weekend, find your local wingsuit guy and ask him to do a fly by for you -- you'll really enjoy it (might want to make sure he has some experience at it)

By the way I started my fly bys a ways out and slowly moved them closer over time --- it really helps when the canopy pilot points at you so you know he sees you..... then you can pull it in tight!

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

As with anything, it's more about respect, not about age. What I hear you saying is that your buzz jobs are 50' whether planned or not, then there's discussion about the same distance as other skydivers opening nearby (but, hopefully not 50')

So, how's this for a suggestion; 1) if not planned, keep it at around 300', 2) if planned, dive your plan.

Simple enough?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I just like arguing --- I always plan the buzz jobs.
If there is no planned buzz than it is usually just flying to an open area to deploy -- never any closer than 100 yards give or take a few.

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I like to"fly by" canopys.

As a wingsuit instructor I like to watch my students deployments as it is the "critical path" as to how well they have done under my fellowship. I sometimes do an overflight of their deployment if I'm in the position to do so. I have coasted a 10 to 20 feet above and to the side of their snivelling mains to a transition of my position, inverted and just slightly ahead of them and a few feet lower, of their completely deployed main.

The proof is in the video! How well they have taken the training and utilized it in a completely different skydiving environment. The proximity of the visual really ties with their perception of what happened on what is to them a new chapter in their skydiving portfolio. There is no other way. Just like video of AFF or coaching for the purpose of learning and advancing. Deploying with a wingsuit on is the challenge.

I tend to keep a good distance away from most other air traffic. Mostly because they don't understand the wingsuit dynamic and the control available. They would view most of this as a hostile incursion on their personal airspace.

When it comes to other flockers that I ( we ) happen to know the habits of we can get very close and still get a thumbs up on the video.

Any jumper should be able to expect a fair amount of "personal space" around which they can expect to not have other skydivers from other exit groups next to them. There's no reason for a wingsuit to be in that space without prior consent of the jumper. It's just rude, no matter how much control the wingsuit has in the situation.

But at the same time, deployed jumpers don't own the entire sky and it's not unreasonable to see a wingsuit flying past you from a safe distance.