azureriders

Students that quit, or just push harder.

My experience.

Jump 2, tandem progression. Uneventful free fall, wave off and reach at 5500. Find handle, pull but no movement. Second pull, I feel TM's hand hit mine. Third pull, we both pull hard still nothing. Forth pull, the cable extracts easily. It was not until we were on the ground that the TM told me that he pulled the left handle before the right one was extracted by me. Thanks a lot KJ(TophyHusband) for a great job saving our lives.

Jump 3, tandem progression. Long spot, TM pulls high, slider hangs and does not want to come down. TM starts screaming 'oh shit not now' in my ear. He did not want to cut away and loose the altitude we needed to get back. No he was not panicked, just a loud type person voicing his feelings, but still a trip for me to hear 'oh shit' from my TM. Slider came down and we made it back fine. Thanks again to a great TM.

Jump 6, first release jump. AFFI was the same person as TM on Jump 3. Release and I go into a flat spin. JM blocks spin but I can't keep it from starting again. I decided to end a non productive dive and pull at 10,000 while semi stable. Slammed on open, broke one A line away from its attachment point. Passed control check and landed it only a little hard [:/]

Jump 20, low pull from reasons that I have been beat up enough, learned many lessons from, and posted in another thread.

On each of these occasions I only wanted to get back up and do it better. Yes, each one scared me but not nearly to the point of making me even consider quitting. I have heard several stories about students that did not come back. Tonto gives an excellent example of a Tandem pax here.

I would like to hear your stories of students who never came back, or your experiences that only made you push harder. Doesn’t have to be during the student stage.

...Jump 20, low pull from PC handle being pushed back into BOC pouch. In the saddle by 2000, low for me but not that big a deal.

No handle check before exit?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

well lets see, after that oh so horrible jump #6 we all know that whether or not 2 go back up and do it again was the hardest question i had to answer! Honestly, every skydive i have made from then up 2 now i have told myself i will decide after this jump if i want 2 continue or not. Granted i have not been able 2 make as many jumps as you since then, but find myself ready 2. I have chosen 4 the time being 2 take it 1 jump at a time and as long as i want 2 keep doing it, I will, I have the desire, much so like yourself, 2 learn 2 do it right and 2 make skydiving a part of my life, but the question is still there, should I quit??!!

well lets see, after that oh so horrible jump #6 we all know that whether or not 2 go back up and do it again was the hardest question i had to answer! Honestly, every skydive i have made from then up 2 now i have told myself i will decide after this jump if i want 2 continue or not. Granted i have not been able 2 make as many jumps as you since then, but find myself ready 2. I have chosen 4 the time being 2 take it 1 jump at a time and as long as i want 2 keep doing it, I will, I have the desire, much so like yourself, 2 learn 2 do it right and 2 make skydiving a part of my life, but the question is still there, should I quit??!!

I hope you make the decision to quit using the irritating 2's and 4's:S

See my blog (linked from my profile) for a detailed description of what a crappy student I was. When I had one jump to finish to complete my A requirements, I walked up to two of my instructors and said "Did either of you ever think I'd be standing here, one jump away from my A license?" Immediately, and in unison, "NO!!" They figured I was a goner after jump 6. And if not then, after jump 8. Not sure exactly why, but I was determined to get it.

She's probably already on the way to Thailand, but flyangel2 has commented on these forums how she was the student from hell. Now she's on the world team.B|

My theory is this ... if you can keep your head in the game and have the right attitude, you can most likely get through the challenges in this sport. If your struggles continually put you in danger, maybe it's time for the bowling speech, but if you learn from mistakes and fix them and always have a saftety-conscious attitude... keep at it as long as your instructors will work with you. ;)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

switched from AFF to SL. First AFF jump: never arched, instructor pulled @ 7 grand, lost a shoe during freefall (if you can call it freefall), sprained ankle on landing, left the dz in an ambulance due to sheer panic!

SL jump #2...made a hook turn[:/] Was lucky to be alive for instructor to chew on my butt!

On my first 4 SL jumps, my hands were shaking so bad as I climbed out on the strut it's amazing I could hang on at all. Somewhere between jump #s 5 and 6 I just got it! No more shaking! I was never unstable during my short delays and on my very first long delay I hit my nose on the step and still did everything right on the skydive part. This was also my first jump without radio and I still landed on target, bleeding all over the place! But I was so ecstatic I did not care. It's only gotten better since! (Praise God).

Now I dive head first off that step:)
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

I am not going to scream, nor am I going to get into a pissing competition back and forth with you, but you need to lighten up and find somewhere else to be an ass. This thread was meant to bring up some interesting and fun stories, but yet you take it upon yourself to see to it that everyone has to read through your bull shit to get to the good stuff. NO, I am not threatening you, as it is stupid to do such across the net with someone you will probably never meet, but where I come from those kinds of statements to such sweet young ladies as Sectaerius will get you some time drinking through a straw.

In my opinion there are only four types of people in this world: Idiots, Morons, Assholes, and Hermits. Idiots and Morons just because they are. Assholes and Hermits as that is the only two ways to live in a world filled with Idiots and Morons. In the analogy, I am proud to be an Asshole, and I am sure you have narrowed what I think of you down to one or two.

I will not respond back to your SCREAMING anymore, it was not the point of this thread in the first place. If you feel the need to SCREAM in this thread anymore, I would ask that John or Bill please lock this thing, or delete it from existence. It unnerves me that that right thinking people have to put with such bull shit.

Thanks to all of you that have posted sensible posts to this thread.