vonSanta

Some low, some high, best option?

Scenario: You and your three others. First jump with some of them, but you know something about how fast they fall, and they're all somewhat experienced skydivers. 4 way freefly. Breakoff altitude is agreed upon and there's a loose dive plan to "keep proximity and have fun".

Bit of a screwed up exit perhaps, and big differences in fall rate. One guy is level vertically with you, but a good bit off horisontally. Another is below you, with a bit less horisontal distance. Last one is above you, say 300 feet, and quite close horisontally. Pre-determined breakoff altitude is approaching, but no one has reached it yet. What's the best course of action?

Do you, upon seeing the low guy wave off and track away, break off early and track yerself? Losing sight of one of the jumpers might mean a freefall collision in this situation, it seems to me.

Or do you keep your eyes open, awareness of the others at maximum, and wait for the predetermined breakoff altitude so you don't end up confusing the others with unpredictable behaviour?

I guess what I am thinking is that while in an ideal situation, everyone should be aware of everyone elses position, but with both vertical and horisontal separation like that, sooner or later someone is gonna lose sight of someone else.

Of course, proper planning and the right decisions should have been made to avoid this situation. More detailed dive plan, or breaking up the group (make it two 2 ways instead, with people jumping with a partner that most closely match in fall rate for instance), but from what I've seen, we're not always making good judgement calls. Overestimating our own abilities or just feeling good about playing with your friends in the air can lead to questionable decisions that most of the time are safe - most of the time.

I'd be thankful if some more experienced people (or less for that matter) gave me some input on the best way of handling the situation. It should't have happened, but it did: now what?

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

ok - i'm not the most experienced freeflyer - but that would be (is) my plan if i'm jumping with others
first: have a plan & dive the plan (same as in rw) plus have something like a plan B that everybody is obliged to follow to the letter (but that's what you are asking for anyway)
make a linked exit & once stable release grips- that way the exit is less likely to funnel & you don't have that much horizontal & vertical separation once you release grips
from my understanding the diver going low is the new base - make a carefull approach (if possible). the lowest one should slow down - makes it easier for the rest o catch up
if there's one jumper to high up, who doesn't make it down to the base: keep your eyes open and watch the others as if your life depended on it (i think it does)- if you are the center & they track away ? stay in place
if you see just two track away & the third is directly under you - gtf away without getting in the airspace of the others...
there's been many discussions about inexperienced freefliers going on a dive together - it makes makes planning really difficult if you are not so shure about your own & the the abilities of the others
? for my part the biggest "group" i join is two other people and i feel much more comfortable if it's just a two-way
hope this helps
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

What he said plus

can lead to questionable decisions that most of the time are safe - most of the time.

They are not safe. Just because nothing happens, it is not a safe dive.

If you're high up and know you can't get down, get away. Same thing when you are waaay low and can't get up (and the others can't get down, obviously).
If you see that you won't get there until breakoff, pepare to get away, considering where the others will most likely go (if they don't see you).

MAKE a PLAN!
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...