kschilk

Skybadivin'

B| If we could combine skydiving and scuba diving.......shouldn't we, logically....be able to jump, in the rain? "Hey, man....ready to mud dive this formation?" I don't know, though....rain is sharp! I never thought about it, 'till the first time I hit some. We hit the TOP of the drop....you know, where the POINT is! They hurt, man! Especially, in the face! B|
"T'was ever thus."

There are really only two problems with jumping in the rain:
1. rain clouds are generally very low clouds, at least where I live. Only occasionally through the Summer is this rule excepted.
2. skydivers are wussies in a lot of ways that, summed up, make most of them not want to jump in the rain. Gear gets wet, canopies have to be dried after the last jump of the day, clothes get wet, it's dark and gloomy, and the air stings. For some reason this puts jumpers off. (It doesn't seem to bother the pilots, though; they're pretty buff. ;) )

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

There are really only two problems with jumping in the rain:
1. rain clouds are generally very low clouds, at least where I live. Only occasionally through the Summer is this rule excepted.
2. skydivers are wussies in a lot of ways that, summed up, make most of them not want to jump in the rain. Gear gets wet, canopies have to be dried after the last jump of the day, clothes get wet, it's dark and gloomy, and the air stings. For some reason this puts jumpers off. (It doesn't seem to bother the pilots, though; they're pretty buff. ;) )

And you forgot the main issue that rain falls "Point Side" up and hurts like a SOB!!!

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

And you forgot the main issue that rain falls "Point Side" up and hurts like a SOB!!!

From the first post ;)

....rain is sharp! I never thought about it, 'till the first time I hit some. We hit the TOP of the drop....you know, where the POINT is! They hurt, man! Especially, in the face!

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

We hit the TOP of the drop....you know, where the POINT is! They hurt, man! Especially, in the face!

Two words: Full Face

;)
and it even beads right off with rainex applied.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Rain isn't the best conditions to jump in, but I guess really small an hard hail is the worst. But, you get used to jumping in all kind if weather if u live in Norway....if u don't accept doing 1500 feet jumps in rainy weather you'll never be a skydiver;)

....okey....we have a lot of great weather too, but sometimes I wish I lived elsewere.

its interesting how much that pointy top of the raindrop makes a difference. I thought it was a joke when somebody first told me about it. But consider this:

Rain falls at about 60mph (i saw this on mythbusters)

We fall at 120mph (belly-to-earth, when our faces are exposed)

120-60 = 60....

So we hit the rain at the same speed that it hits us when we stand on the ground and look up.... but it hurts like a bitch! It's gotta be the shape...

Oh yea... one more reason why skydivers dont really like jumping in the rain? 1 water jump = 25 normal jumps in terms of wear & tear. The water dissolves some of the ZP coating and deposits minerals of its own that tear at the fabric.

I think i read that in a PD article or something. I still dont mind jumping in rain though. Oh well, im getting back to work.

its interesting how much that pointy top of the raindrop makes a difference. I thought it was a joke when somebody first told me about it...

I don't know if I am taking some bait here, but I hope you realize that raindrops are not "drop" shaped at all. They are somewhere between spherical and burger-shaped.

For more info:
Clicky

So, people complaining about the pointy ends are either making a joke or... :P

Now, falling through a snow cloud, that hurts. You do get a fancy ice coating on your jump suit, though. :)
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

I don't know if I am taking some bait here, but I hope you realize that raindrops are not "drop" shaped at all. They are somewhere between spherical and burger-shaped.

Now I was in the tunnel at Perris almost a year ago, and it was raining outside enough that it was raining up in the tunnel. I learned why they have a washer and drier... But, I digress... I wonder how rain drops are shaped when they are being sucked up onto you??? he he he he Do you think they just invert?

I am glad you mythbustered the pointy thing, because I was about ready to... One of the many useless things I have learned on this website.B|

I don't care how raindrops are shaped. They HURT, simply put. B|

Been there with just shorts and t-shirt on. When I got back in the hangar and stripped the shirt off, everybody stopped what they were doing and gaped at me. Dime-sized red welts all over me. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Big rain drops hurt more than little ones. The faster a raindrop hits, the harder it hurts.

In my jumping career so far, all the ice I've encountered has been very small, and I think this is why it hasn't hurt, just like very small rain droplets wouldn't hurt. (At some point that's fog, and it's not painful on its own.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

[Raindrops] are somewhere between spherical and burger-shaped. For more info:
Clicky

And somehow that page leads right back to skydiving. The general premise is that the author wants
teachers to avoid teaching incorrect things. Then, he says

When they get larger than a radius of about 4.5 mm they rapidly become distorted into a shape
rather like a parachute with a tube of water around the base --- and then they break up into smaller drops.

and includes an illustration of the shape of the drops changing as they get bigger. Unfortunately, this
seems to assume that all parachutes are the same hemispherical shape.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

B| WOW! I didn't expect such a response but it's cool! I appreciate the info, on the shape thing....I'd seen the high-speed film of pear-shaped water drops but they weren't raindrops.
I was jumping with an Aussie friend....he was spotting. He looked at me, smiled and said "Rain's shawwp, mate!" He closed his visor & split. As I was in freefall, with an open-face helmet....I realized what he meant. I bought a full-face, used...at the dz, when I landed.
I'm gonna' post a new question(s) soon. I hope you all respond, I want honest opinions....bunches of 'em. Hope to hear from y'all!
:o By the way....Hey, "Norway"! Ever jump in Russia?
[:/] "Phoenix"....knock it off, with the weather reports! Some of us are sufferin' here, you're not helpin'...man.
:|
If there's a word "spherical".....shouldn't there also be a "sphimical"...or "sptherical"?
T'was ever thus.
"T'was ever thus."

The largest raindrops are approx 5.5mm across. Bigger ones are broken up by air resistance. The big drops fall faster, with the fastest being 8m/sec (16mph) approximately.

The guy who did the measurements is described here:

www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/history/lenard.htm

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

:)Rain with pollution in hurts even more and apparently EVERY rain drop has a very leetle bit of dust in it .
Some has lots of particles and acid rain .......well that sheet will burn for real not just from dimpact.

Falling through little insects hurts even more than rain and can be a bit messy. Wonder where that smear on ya goggles/visor came from? Squashy bugs!

If you can... avoid falling through thunder clouds as these can actually cut you up not just sting a bit.

Tandems through cloud and rain and ice and insects and dust and pollution and stuff.....the passenger gets it so who cares right?;)