BrianSGermain

Fear in Skydiving

I have been reasearching the phenominon of fear as it relates to performance and outcomes of dangerous circumstances. This area is one of the most neglected areas of skydiving instruction, as so it turns out, one of the most important.

If you are interested in this area of study, please check out the research I am presenting here:

www.TranscendingFear.com

You life depends on it!

+
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Check out the free chapters.

You know who Brian is, right? He has done and continues to do a great deal for the sport. Given that the question of fear regularly pops up in this forum I don't think his post is an annoying ad.

Good stuff Brian.The interviews on Skydive Radio were great - I hope the guys re-invite you, with this topic (fear) as part of the agenda.

I notice you are a student to.... whats funny is some students like say ....me.... appreciate people like ..... say Brian who try to pass on what they have learned through either thier or others mistakes without say..... being rude.... funny huh, the difference between students.

Thanks Brian, its much appreciated by many of us.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I know its so oldschool to write books.

Let alone reading them...

I guess I'm oldschool then since I am reading Brian's "The parachute and its pilot" that I aquired from the author personally at this years Dutch skydiving safety seminar, 'as we speak'.

I have been teaching 'this stuff' (surviving parachute jumps and their inevitable landings at the end) since 1985...

I will be teaching it slightly different next season, since I learned a few new tricks from Brian, both in his presentation there and now, while reading...

Now if I only had thought of asking Brian to autograph my copy I might get my 17 year old /"60 jumps wonder" kid to read it as well... :)
(Should I force him by saying the plane is off limits until he finishes the book? Or is that being a prick? B|)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

I notice you are a student to.... whats funny is some students like say ....me.... appreciate people like ..... say Brian who try to pass on what they have learned through either thier or others mistakes without say..... being rude.... funny huh, the difference between students.

Thanks Brian, its much appreciated by many of us.

But he's not trying to pass it on, he's trying to sell it. And in this case, at least a small portion of his research was actually done here on DZ.com
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1326776;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Brian is truly one of the key figures in our sport and should be respected for his work, but these forums do have a rule against advertising. Brian provided a link to a page that can be interpreted as nothing but advertising for his products. I think that this is the point that freeryde13 was pointing out.

Brian's research is certainly worth reading and I certainly wouldn't begrudge him charging for this information or even profiting from it. It simply isn't appropriate in these forums.

Of course, if Sangiro allows it then so be it. It is ultimately his decision.

But he's not trying to pass it on, he's trying to sell it. And in this case, at least a small portion of his research was actually done here on DZ.com

Ya know, I’ve been besieged on this forum by over zealous do-gooders a few times myself for the same “infraction.” It’s a bunch of B.S.

Writing books is a time consuming pain in the ass. It doesn’t pay nearly enough money to make it worthwhile, and marking sucks. Authors of trade books like Brian’s (or mine) do it because there is a demand for information. The process of writing is an added bonus because it requires research that brings the topic into sharp focus and increases the information to be shared. I’m super proud of my book, and especially pleased by all the folks who have shared their positive comments about JUMP!. Brian should be equally proud, and we should all be extra happy that we have a new resource to share within our sport.

Brian has put a great deal of time and energy into his latest project on fear, and I know there is tremendous interest among dropzone.com regulars, and future visitors to this site. Many of us have known about Brian’s efforts and have been waiting for the formal release of his book. An announcement on this site certainly seems reasonable. Instead of bitching and complaining, let’s offer Brian a thank you for his research and effort, and his willingness to share that information with us. Sure, he charges for the book, but he gives away plenty of material and has long been an important fixture in our sport, recognized and respected for his knowledge, passion, and commitment to the safety of others.

The release of his latest book is news, and we should be pleased that he took a moment to share that with us. I hope the detail in the book becomes the topic of a few threads over the coming months, and I hope everybody has the ‘courage’ to offer attribution when they cite specific information. It would be a shame if we became fearful of mentioning the name of an important product because the advertising police might complain.

Skydiving is a tiny sport that offers authors very little profit potential. We should appreciate it when our peers step up and produce quality books or videos. Without folks like Brian our sport would be poorer. Without just a bit of marketing, his words and knowledge would be trapped in isolation. That would be a shame.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I recently purchased Brian's book on canopy control. I heard of it through the Forums and had trouble finding it. I finally ordered it from Brian directly. He has since taken the time to answer questions and make suggestions to me. I have now ordered this book also. I am thankful for experienced skydivers, like him, and he is to be applauded or making it known that this book is available.

Brian gives away more info than you can imagine. He was at our safety day last year and he hung around and talked to everyone about canopies, skydiving and whatever else you wanted to ask about. Anything you wanted to know about, he took the time to explain until you understood it.

I think the key is to look at the intent of the post. It is to share knowledge. We need more people like him.

B

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

If you look near the bottem of the page that Brian links you to you might see the FREE DOWN LOAD for transending fear.
I guess you just have to pay attention before jumping to conclusions.

Death is so permanant, and I'm just not ready for that kind of committment.

Instead of bitching and complaining

I wasn't bitching or complaining. If you read my post I too exalted Brian's knowledge and I'll reiterate, I certainly don't begrudge him making a dollar on his book. My point was simply that freeryde13 was correct when he pointed out that Brian's post is advertising.

If you look near the bottem of the page that Brian links you to you might see the FREE DOWN LOAD for transending fear.
I guess you just have to pay attention before jumping to conclusions.

I didn't jump to any conclusion. In fact I even read the free sample before I made my post.

The link that Brian posted is an advertising page. Of course he could have provided a link directly to the free sample.

Brian has certainly contributed significantly to the sport, my only point is that as freeryde13 pointed out, Brian advertised in the forums.

Thanks Brian,

That is a blessing. Fear almost kept me from continuing in this sport....turns out my fear of not living life was greater than my fear of skydiving.

I'm going to check out your research.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28