dzjmg

Golden Knights

No Officers on the actual team. That is the policy. You have to be enlisted.

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

why? Is it that way for all Army "Sport/Exhibition" teams?

a friend from my college days is a 2nd Lt., Army Rangers, and he is on the Army Crew Team (as a rower, of course.)
Jay

Not exactly, but close. All the public team members you see are enlisted. Because they are military, they do have to follow the normal chain of command. They have officers in the HQ side of the office. Go here for their official website that has all the teams and support personel.

Since some people need actual clarification:

The competition teams do not have officers jumping on them.

Of course there is a chain of command.

Officers do not compete!

AS far as the reasoning behind it I am not sure. Never actually wanted to know. I do know of a guy who gave up his commission to go back on the team though.

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!! B|

"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

:S Maybe it's some right wing plot to exploit the enlisted

no, wait

Maybe it's some left wing plot to keep the officers down :S

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Maybe it's some left wing plot to keep the officers down

It could be. You never know.

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B|

I think as a general rule the military believes it is paying it's officers far to much money to have them "playing" for a job. That's just the way it is. As an enlisted guy I had fun. As an officer I'm expected to lead people and manage accounts. Pick your poison. Bennies to both sides:|

Obviously you have no idea what the KNights are about.

It is not all fun & games. It is hard work. Try-Outs are very tough.

Train, Train, Train.

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!B|

Perhaps "playing" was an improper choice of words. I get his drift. You could end up in a less glamorous job, like painting the ship's hull after you chipped off the old paint. Are military pilots playing over the MOAs? Possibly, but like you said, it's a tough road to get there. Also, night landings on a carrier are a lot of work and rarely fun. (Sorry about the Navy analogies.:ph34r:)

Why are the GK's only enlisted and no officers. is this just the competition teams or is it the whole group.

The only thing i can thing of would be its like a reward to the enlisted, something that the officers can't have.
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.???

Th commissioned officer positions on the USAPT are: Commander, Executive Officer (XO), Operations Officer (Opso), and Aviation Section Officer-In-Charge (OIC). By rank they are (normally) respectively LTC, MAJ, CPT, and CPT/MAJ.

There are Warrant Officers as well: the Property Book Officer (in charge of logistics), and the rest of the military pilots.

All Officers, both commissioned and warrant, are Team Mates. They have a job to do and are an integral part of the Team. They are not assigned to the Demonstration or Competition Teams, and where this started I don't know.

I will say that enlisted Airborne soldiers in the Army are more likely to have more military jumps, both static line and MFF, as their career paths are more likely to yield the most years in airborne assignments. Take my job skill for example. I am a 92R Parachute Rigger. I have been in an Airborne assignment for 19 years. A typical officer contemporary, Quartermaster Branch, likely an LTC, having also been trained as a Rigger, may only have a few years in various Airborne assignments. This may have some bearing on the facts.

The GK CO, XO, and OPSO usually are trained to do demonstrations and will on occasion travel with the Demo Teams. They are treated as guest demonstrators, but the Demo Team Leader is still in charge. The only change in "protocol" is that the TL will defer to the "O" by giving him/her the front spot in the lineup after the show.
Arrive Safely

John

They are not assigned to the Demonstration or Competition Teams, and where this started I don't know.

Hey John,
When I first read this, I did some homework on it out of intrigue, but did not respond because my answer would have been based on an assumption. In reading thru the GK history of origin, I came to the "conclusion" that it was about the time of the beginning of SF and during a time when the ratio of officers to NCO's was about 25:1.

My hypothesis is that GK is still one of the units that has maintained the tradition of NCOs "run" it, Officers are Ops & Admin Support.

Again... an assumption.

While "playing" might have been a poor choice in wording, the spirit of the post is correct... For officers, time away from branch specific assignments are not good for the career (for those of you that are still in, if you have not learned this yet, don't believe your assignments officer!)... Officer jobs in Recruiting Command (where the GKs fall) are considered to be Branch Immaterial, and time "away from your branch" except for maybe AG types... Not a good use of the money invested in LT's and CPT's that are needed elsewhere in the Army. It is also in line with the rest of Recruiting Command, where NCO's play (or should be playing) a more prominent role in the chain of command (no officers below Company Commander)

Additionally, Officers are in shorter supply than enlisted (both in raw numbers and in % of slots filled). The Army can afford to detail a battalion's (-) worth of enlisted to the work or the GK's, but not a battalion's worth of officers.

The are other Army organizations that you won't find many officers, such as their sports teams, and very few (if any) on the marksmanship team.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Was just wondering, when was the last time the GK did not win either the 4-way or 8-way at nationals? Think there will be any "fallout" over that?

No - they won 10-way speed!;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Alright folks,
Let me introduce myself. My name is Spc. Justin Smith. I am a Ah-64d Apache Crew Chief assigned to the Charlie Company Ghostriders, 2-101 avn. I just recently returned home from OIF 2 part duex and am getting back into skydiving. Just spent the last week down at Deland getting current again and got my A license while I was down there!!! wahoo!! beer!!! Anyways...my next goal is to reach 150 jumps and possibly attend 06 tryouts for the Gknights. If anyone has any advice, tip....let me know. I have about 43 jumps right now. I know I am a rookie compared to other guys. I just can't think of anything better than to serve my country and skydive!! Thanks!!

PS first post on dropzone.....Beer!!!