Freeflysmiley

Outrageous Mal

http://storage.headdown.net/reserve1.mov

Check this t**t of an instructor, the jumper clearly isn't expecting to be pushed, and has a consequent mal, with a nice round reserve, only just misses the trees. what a dick
--------------------------------------------------
Practise the 6 P's!

I know this instructor and DZ as I jump there myself..The jumper isn't pushed but helped trying to exit stable and have the static line deploy the chute as fast as possible as this wasn't the best s/l student as you could see. I believe this student had some previous jump in which he also exited unstable.

This instructor isn't a dick. Be a little bit more carefull with your statements ;)

Jumpers are never pushed at this dz

whatever B|....the point is that this happens if you exit unstable and that is why the instuctor helped him out and hold the staticline in his hands to speed deployment up and reduce the risc of a mal. In the better quality video on this site you can see him answer yes to the question "ready to jump"?
If he students has shown on previous jump that he can't exit stable I can understand why a JM would help him out. Normally students exit on there own.

You don't know how students are trained at this dz and what strange things students can do during training.

This video looks to me like the student f****d up and the JM did his job.

Well, it helped him get out and to prove himself where EP's are concerned...

I am not at all experienced with static line stuents and only have around 500 student jumps as a solo freefall instructor so I am not terribly experienced - but if I am in the door with a student, we are already past the point of no return, we are going and I am going to do my best to not hose the rest of the load. I get eye contact, sometimes encourage the count and exit as needed, hard to tell exactly what was happening other than his exit may have been encouraged a bit much. Hard to tell if the malfunction was caused from the assistance in exit or if it would have happened anyway.

I am curious, this guy ever jump again? I have actually had students thank me in the past for "encouraged" exits.

At any rate, alls well that ends well - and a round reserve! These days that is bragging rights in and of itself!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

You don't know how students are trained at this dz and what strange things students can do during training.

This video looks to me like the student f****d up and the JM did his job.

'Whatever' I'm glad I didn't learn at your DZ;) nice modern reserve, lucky the dude missed the trees:P
Practise the 6 P's!

It's been a long time since I was a S/L Instructor.

It is now common practice to not pull in the prior students Static Line & D bag?

the students static lines & d bags are pulled in after the last sl has jumped

It's been a long time since I was a S/L Instructor.

It is now common practice to not pull in the prior students Static Line & D bag?

I think so.
We do 2 s/l students on a pass and the bags both get brought in together after the second student has gone.

Also, I believe that the instructor in the video was just trying to keep the student facing forwards as he exited. The tendancy is for some students to rotate as they exit.
Different aircraft different procedures I guess I dont know

I stand corrected. I assume your an instructor? Just that when I learn't (static) no one pushed us out the door, we did it ourselves.

Im not an instructor, but I am a DZ Pilot.
I also enjoy watching s/l exit videos so have seen a lot.
Which DZ did you train at?

I agree that being pushed out doesnt seem to be the best solution to someone who is having difficulty with their progression. Id say if someone needs to be pushed out of an aircraft then they shouldnt be doing it.

Well done to the instructors and to the jumper for obviously covering the emergancy procedures nicely :)

I agree that being pushed out doesnt seem to be the best solution to someone who is having difficulty with their progression. Id say if someone needs to be pushed out of an aircraft then they shouldnt be doing it.

I take it you haven't actually done any poised exit SL jumps yourself then. It is SOP for any instructor to make sure the rig clears the door, and yes it does look like you're being pushed but you don't notice it as a student.

For airtwardo:

If you do one pass per student (as done at my home DZ) I have never seen the instructors not "clean up" between jump runs, so they do pull in the SL + D-bag.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Look at it in Slo-Mo. The instructor is trying to keep the student's shoulders square to the relative wind. The student then de-arches during the deployment which is beyond the instructor's control (I have ground prepped AFF and SL and they do perfect on the ground but every now and then one will take you for a ride).
Take a buddy into the exit mockup and try and lift him by his shoulders and see how much effort is required for the "assist".
Kudos to the student for conducting his EPs and landing safely.

Foggy

For airtwardo:

If you do one pass per student (as done at my home DZ) I have never seen the instructors not "clean up" between jump runs, so they do pull in the SL + D-bag.

That's the way I always did it...but I can see the reasoning for leaving it out if more than one is going out on the same pass...

Just looked like it might ding up the bird a bit blowing around like that.

But DZO's are a bazillionaires anyway...;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Having done static line training and exits from C206, Porters and C208, and watched countless static line exits from caravans which have a pretty big door, it is very rare that an instructor needs to assist the student's rig on exit. When it happens, it is normally for smaller students (generally small women), for whom the student rig is massive.

That bloke was sufficiently large enough not to require help with his exit. BTW, when the instructor's arms move the rig out of the plane before the student has made any attempt to exit they are not "assisting" any more.

Not sure what the rules are on assisting students in other countries, but in the UK, if they say "no" then you are not even allowed to try and convince them unless they are a hazard to the aircraft. Sitting in the door about to do a pivot exit isn't a hazard to a caravan.

As for not bringing the bag back in from the previous student in my opinion it is not best practice, if for no other reason that it is something else for a student to grab hold of/snag on exit.

Not that I am an instructor or anything like that

Blue skies

Paul

I know this instructor and DZ as I jump there myself..The jumper isn't pushed but helped trying to exit stable

It looks to me like the jumper is clearly pushed out of the A/C by the instructor, cardinal sin No1 for SL RAPS canopies. There are better ways to assist the student to exit square to the A/C than this method.

and have the static line deploy the chute as fast as possible as this wasn't the best s/l student as you could see.

The instructor has also "short lined" the student by holding on to a loop of the static line, this has the effect of allowing the canopy to deploy quicker than it should. As you can see in the video the student gets his arm between the risers as the canopy deploys this may have been avoided had the instructor not "short lined" him. However the main reason for not short lining is to avoid the deploying canopy striking the tail of the A/C, something that could have happened in this case had the A/C lost height as the student exited.

I believe this student had some previous jump in which he also exited unstable.

As a student this is to be expected, especially on early S/L descents. The instructor may not have known this especially if he had not met the student previously, he should have expected it though.

This instructor isn't a dick. Be a little bit more carefull with your statements ;)

He may not be a dick, but if he had done this whilst I was running the DZ I would have called him much worse.

Jumpers are never pushed at this dz

Im sure they are not, just as they are not pushed at any DZ

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.