bastichu

Problems with airport security personnel?

Do a search on Traveling with Gear or Rig.

I do it all the time. SFO - AMS - CPH. I have never had a problem. Also within the US, no problems.

My husband was told once that he could not take his rig as a carry on. But that airport has changed their policies.

Some people have had some issues, so I suggest that search.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1147.xml

Customs may be a little bit of a hold up, but have your organization's license will help. You may even want to get a USPA membership card. Soon the should be a new world record team returning - all with rigs, all about the same time.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I just took a rig to the US from the UK and back with no problems. No one even asked what it was. I've also taken my rig to the NL from the UK multiple times with no issues.

Billy
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

See here for a recent experience I had.

Lesson learned: be patient, be courteous, and have your paperwork with you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

See here for a recent experience I had.

Lesson learned: be patient, be courteous, and have your paperwork with you.

In your link...Logan was the only of several airports mention that you had problems at.

I wonder if the problems are site specific...
In other words...airports with a lot of DZ traffic seem to be well versed on rig inspection, at least that's my experience.

In fact last year at LAX, the screen-er said..." No automatic opener on this one"
I asked and he wasn't a jumper...he was not, just knew his stuff.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I think it's a great theory that it's somewhat location-dependent. Part of it was the folks working that night had *never* seen a rig before. The other thing is that my understanding is that Logan tends to be one of the most strict airports as the TSA staff there is under strong pressure from their higher-ups (since one of the 9/11 planes originated at Logan).

Hopefully, I did my part to educate at least that crew of four or five agents. :)

Logan tends to be one of the most strict airports as the TSA staff there is under strong pressure from their higher-ups (since one of the 9/11 planes originated at Logan).

Good point...Once burned~Twice shy!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Pack your rig separately with nothing else in the bag except maybe clothes or jumpsuit. If you have weights, wear them and put them through the x-ray in their own bin.

Helmet with altimeter and protrack/dytter should be in your carry-on.

Everything else in another bag. Make sure to bring license/jump organization docs, logbook, Cypres card.

If they ask about the Cypres, it is an "automatic reserve deployment computer" and does not contain a CO2 cartridge.

You should sail right on through. Sometimes they swab the container to make sure there is no explosive residue.

Blue skies,

Jim