riddler

Instructor numbers for coaches

Just out of curiosity - why are USPA Coaches not offered instructor numbers from USPA. I believe that AFFI's TI's and others get numbers. Why not coaches?

Here's the story off the top of my head. The source was some article in the mag from many years ago.

PCA/USPA decided to start granting D licenses and Instructor ratings - sometime in the 60s. The JM and I ratings were at first built into the licenses, A-C.

Lew Sanborn and Jacques Istel were first in line to be the 'first'.
They tossed a coin to see who would get the first D license and first I number.
Lew won the D license #1 and Jacques won the I #1 (or whatever it was called)

Later PCA/USPA stopped numbering the JM/I ratings. I forget why.

Today, none of the USPA ratings are numbered.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

the lack of numbers puzzled me - if I ask some of the instructor types to sign my logbook entries, I get a sig with a generic AFF-I type tag. Depending on the nature of the person's signature, not easy to verify later.

Illegible like mine? :D

AFFI's do not get numbers. The should sign their name and then "AFFI XX" XX being the year they got their rating.

That would be nice for vanity maybe, but you are actually supposed to sign your work AFF jumps as AFFI-06, or the year you are current to. Not the year you got your rating.

Just out of curiosity - why are USPA Coaches not offered instructor numbers from USPA. I believe that AFFI's TI's and others get numbers. Why not coaches?

What's the point? So they can establish some kind of petty pecking order?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

What's the point? So they can establish some kind of petty pecking order?

No - I was mistaken in thinking that TIs and AFFIs had numbers, but coaches do not. I was corrected. But at the time, I was wondering why there would be different USPA policies for coaches. Turns out, there's not.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

My instructors just sign and quote licence number.

US is slightly different to ours. When you get onto fomation skydiving for instance the coaches will sign your logbook either with their licence number if they're also a CSI(or other instructor) or their formation skydiving coach number if they aren't.