peek

Why haven't you gotten your B license?

The SIM states that all you need is an A-license to perform water jumps. Why isn't water training mandatory before performing water jumps? The BSR only says water jumps must have the "advice" of an S&TA, IE or RD. Should the 'privilege' of doing water jumps be moved to B-license holders?

The water training required for the B is for unintentional water landings. If you're going to do planned water jumps, the procedures are more specific, and I would expect the organizer to do the briefing. And you would have catchers/rescuers at the landing spot.

Because I am going to wait till I get 500 and go straight to D.

I'm pretty sure you can't do that, since you need to do night jumps to get your D and you can't do night jumps with just an A liscense. (I forget if it's B or C that lets you do night jumps)

I'm pretty sure you can't do that, since you need to do night jumps to get your D and you can't do night jumps with just an A liscense. (I forget if it's B or C that lets you do night jumps)

It's B that allows you to do night jumps, however some DZs will allow you to do night jumps if you are B qualified.

Might as well ask why everyone doesn't have a commercial driver license, and why all pilots don't have multiengine, commercial, ATP and instrument ratings. Sometimes you simply don't need that stuff.

I waited until I needed one in order to be allowed to do something or other (actually, it was a "C" I needed, so I skipped the B altogether). I finally got my "D" when I needed an FAI stamp to be on a record attempt.

What's the point of getting a license unless you need the privileges it confers?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The real question is Why haven't I gotten my C-license... The answer is that I haven't made it out to the dz this winter much.

All I need to do to complete it is to take the test... I'd like to get it done before I start jumping again in the spring.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

bit of a combination of being lazy, as well as relying on others to have it. should have had it 75 jumps ago but at the time didn't see the point. have 2 items to get signed off already done the spotting the load bit succesfully but didn't get it signed by and instructor. only about 75 to go till my C license, o well hohum:)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Because I am going to wait till I get 500 and go straight to D.

That is exactly what I AM doing. You can do night jumps if you have met the requirements for a B license. In other words have the license or are qualified for it (qualified means you have done everything for the license except send the paper in and pay the money).

When I go to get my D license, I will take the C test and have all the requirements for B, C, and D done.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

That is exactly what I AM doing. You can do night jumps if you have met the requirements for a B license. In other words have the license or are qualified for it (qualified means you have done everything for the license except send the paper in and pay the money).

I think this is key. USPA ratings themselves are the only thing I've ever seen that actually requires a rating.

I've never been to a boogie that wouldn't let you in with 50 jumps, 'b' license or not.

I've never seen a DZO refuse to let someone on a night-jump or high-altitude jump, as long as that person had enough jumps to 'qualify' for the rating.

I've never seen anyone allowed onto a big-way jump because they got a certain license.

Unless somebody is intent on getting an instructional or PRO rating, there really isn't any benefit to having a higher license.

The only reason to get a rating is so that you can get a higher rating. Now that I think about it, it seems a bit like a scam! ;)

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

if you're jumping in familar grounds, the license matters little. You're a known commodity. When you go visiting other places, though, it simplifies the process a lot.

Before I got the B number, I had just the stamped A skills card. There was definitely more scrutiny that I really was minimally qualified as the A proclaims.

Sadly, most of today's skydivers are not goal oriented. :|

Others are concerned with jumping the coolest, smallest canopy,
and believing they have the skills to do so.

Isn't that a bit of a gereralisation? That doesn't seem to be the ethos with the club I jump with.
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

talking about different licences, I have my BPA (UK) A, B and C licences so are they valid if I wanted to jump in the US?

As you don't need to have any water jumps over here as a requirement for a B, would I be expected to do a water jump if I wanted to jump in the US with my BPA C licence?

Maybe this should be in a different thread, sorry!

~~~ London Skydivers ~~~

USPA doesn't require any actual water jumps from a plane, only water training, usually conducted in a swimming pool or lake using really old gear. The live water training is required before getting a USPA B license. I'm not sure, but I think your BPA license should be valid to jump in the US, but it'd be a good idea to check with the DZs you plan on jumping at.

As far as the original thread, I've gotten my A,B, and C soon after I qualified for them, I guess I like the numbers and privileges that come with them, and don't mind spending the $20 to see my name in Parachutist.

edit: Night jumps are fun, and one good reason to get that B license.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

talking about different licences, I have my BPA (UK) A, B and C licences so are they valid if I wanted to jump in the US?

Depending on the DZ, they might require you to join USPA before jumping.

As you don't need to have any water jumps over here as a requirement for a B, would I be expected to do a water jump if I wanted to jump in the US with my BPA C licence?

I really doubt it.

OK-

I used to not care about my licenses...figured I could get them whenever. Even took the test for my B, and filled out the paperwork...but I never sent it in.

Recently my logbook and Pro Track were stolen...so I have lost all my records. Getting those licenses (B and C) is going to be a bigger hassle now...wish I'd just taken care of it.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

As a matter of interest whats involved in the grade system in the US?

Until you have your B (50 jumps + CH2 + JM1), you cannot jump a full face helmet or jump without an AAD.

And to this its mainly due to the dangours of cold weather when they can easily frost over and your not able to see therefore only more experienced people should wear them (as well as B licence you need CCI discretion)

...I don't feel that the new privledges you get with your B are worth it - I'd go straight for my C instead. If staying consistantly current was a major issue for me I would probably have my B, but since I have no interest in night jumps I won't stress over it....That may change at some point, I dunno - but it's not a priority for me right now.

Jen

my thoughts exactly...

Sadly, most of today's skydivers are not goal oriented. :|

Others are concerned with jumping the coolest, smallest canopy,
and believing they have the skills to do so.

Isn't that a bit of a gereralisation? That doesn't seem to be the ethos with the club I jump with.

Yes, mine. I'm a professional and jump 6 to 7 days a week. The trend is now changing, but that is because we are mentoring better.

Your views may differ after a year or two on the DZ. I doubt you have much exposure in 16 jumps.

Why haven't you gotten your B license?

We were sitting there talking about how when we were at that point in our skydiving career, that we could hardly wait to get that next license. It was a goal. IT was something we were proud of.

But we see quite a few people now lingering there with quite a few jumps, but have not gotten their next license.

In particular a lot of USPA "A" licensed people that have delayed getting their "B" license, although they are qualified (as far as we can tell).

If you are one of those, why the wait?

(To make this thread more manageable, can we skip the "D" license night jump requirement issue?)

Oh, I dunno. I sometimes consider putting in for the B and C for grins, but have yet to get around to it.

Early on, it did not seem to make an awful lot of difference between one license or another as far as privileges went. Once I had the A I could manifest for pretty much any load I wanted to be on. Who was willing to jump with you was more a function of demonstrated ability than of credentials.

I am trying to think of what came with the D license, but nothing major comes to mind. I think it was mostly a matter of "been there, done that."

I guess I have enough Merit Badges amassed from various other activities that I can't get all too worked up about another set of credentials.

To some extent I think it's more fun to sandbag than to bluster and strut, so being able to say "I do not have my B license yet" has entertainment value.

Gaining the skillset is important from a lifesaving standpoint.

Getting the credentials is useful only to the extent that it buys something.

Blue skies,

Winsor