Scottyp

Rig as hand luggage, UK Problems?

Hey all

Sorry I don't want to repost, and I’ve used the search function but not come up with what I want.

I'm looking to hear about any problems people have had when carrying rigs as hand luggage from UK airports. I've done it before and have had to call for supervisors and get explosive swab tests etc. This was at Gatwick, UK but the USA side didn't even question my rig at all:)
Now I have my own new rig (I’m still paying for it 12 months after purchase!) I can't be blamed for being over cautious can I?

Has anyone been stopped at airport security and have to send their rig to the hold?>:( If so what provisions, if any, did they have to protect it in the hold?

I'm flying with BA and my rig is a little over their hand luggage weight limit. However I’ve not had hand luggage weighed in the past.

Many thanks in advance
To beer! the cause of, and solution to, many of lifes problems

Has anyone been stopped at airport security and have to send their rig to the hold? If so what provisions, if any, did they have to protect it in the hold?

You should assume that it is possible you will have to put it in the hold. This means an appropriate bag or suitcase to protect it.

Others may tell you that they never will, that they know what is allowed and will be able to show security personnel the correct info to get them to change their mind. Don't count on it. Security doesn't have to do what they are supposed to do.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Thanks mate, thats what i thought. It's up to them in the end.

I'm looking examples of whats happened to people in the past? Kind of trying to weigh up the odds.

I remember reading a post in the past about the TSA cutting a reserve pin with pliers! This might have been checked baggage though?

Thanks mate, thats what i thought. It's up to them in the end.

I'm looking examples of whats happened to people in the past? Kind of trying to weigh up the odds.

I remember reading a post in the past about the TSA cutting a reserve pin with pliers! This might have been checked baggage though?

The pin getting cut was checked baggage.

As you might read in other threads, it is a good idea to leave a note attached to the rig requesting that you be present for any further inspection of the rig, because it is a life-saving device.

When you 'check' bags (put them in the hold) in the US, at many airports, the inspection by security is done with you in attendance, then it is sent on without the need to be opened again.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have fly from the UK with a rig approx 5 times per year - last year I travelled from Luton, Heathrow and Gatwick and I always take my rig as hand luggage.

I was only once (at Luton, a couple of weeks after the 7/7 bombings) even asked about my hand luggage - most of the screeners seem pretty well trained. I produced the Cypres card and CAA letter and was informed that it was the airline's policy not to allow rigs as carry-on. I stood my ground, asked to speak to a supervisor and made them call the airline who confirmed that I was indeed allowed to take my rig as carry on.

That is the only problem I have ever had in several years of always taking my rig as carry-on..

My advice:

Make sure the rig is in an appropriate sized/protected bag.

Ensure that you have the CAA letter (because you can then counter any argument - politely of course - with "well, the CAA don't have a problem with it, look here...") and Cypres card.

DON'T mention that you are carrying a parachute unless asked! The chances are that you won't be asked and your bag will simply be screened and you will be sent on your way. If you are asked, answer all questions in a helpful manner. If you raise the issue, you are likely to encounter problems!

I have flown out of the UK with BA 3 times in the last year and never known them to weigh my hand luggage (in fact my hold luggage was something over 35kgs going to Spain last time and they didn't seem to care...).

Good luck!

Vicki

Even though there is nothing that prevents you from wearing your rig on your back, visible while in the airport, I think it is a bad idea that might get you attention you don't want. It only takes one nevous passenger and they might demand you check it as baggage. They can make you do it if they want to, at any time.

We don't want skydivers to get the reputation of enjoying themselves by making fun remarks that might scare average joe and jane doe. The airlines and security personnel will not be amused, and this will work against our interests.

Of cause I won't be making jokes like that. I have however heard rumors of the joke mentioned carried out on board the aircraft. This was way before 9/11 and all other bad events afterwards. I don't think us Brits would be dull enough to pull that kind of crap now days! (I hope not)

Thanks for the input guys, anyone else had any problems with carry on rigs?

Cheers Vicki, very helpful

Before Easyjet cancelled their sports allowance I'd have happliy checked it - it's insured). But when they demanded more money last summer (between booking the flight and flying sports allowance was cancelled - WANKERS), i just carried it on.

It was in it's rig bag and even the hook knives went through without incident! :S. I had a cypres card just too, but not needed at all.

Since then I make sure i carry my logbook/a BPA mag and all the other bumph that makes it look like a hobby as opposed to a 'parachute'.

In Prague, the male security bod squinted at the scanner + a 'what the f*ck is that' look at his female asssitant. Her response was 'durhhh, its a skydving rig...see...there, thats the reserve spring!'. She was quiet fit too...:P

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

I would only add that it helps to ensure that your AAD is turned off. Otherwise, the security personnel can see this funny box with a lead coming out of it connected to a live display with numbers looking as if they've counted down to something. :S A friend of mine was questioned in Madrid (albeit briefly, fortunately) because of this.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

I would only add that it helps to ensure that your AAD is turned off. Otherwise, the security personnel can see this funny box with a lead coming out of it connected to a live display with numbers looking as if they've counted down to something. :S A friend of mine was questioned in Madrid (albeit briefly, fortunately) because of this.

People sometimes get asked to turn on electronics stuff (laptop, handhelds, cameras, etc) to demonstrate that they function. Has anyone ever been asked to turn ON the Cypres in front of security personnel? The bootup countdown would probably give them a heart attack. :S

I have had problems with BA at Heathrow. I tried carrying my rig on as hand luggage, and was told it was not allowed since the airline had experienced problems in the past with 'parachutes inflating' in the cabin.
No....seriously.....'parachutes inflating' is the exact expression used. After I stopped laughing at the moron, I explained to him why it was not possible for anything to inflate in the cabin, but the damage was already done (by me laughing at him). Several other so-called 'experts' were called, and all came to the same conclusion. The 'parachute might inflate' and endanger the lives of the passengers and crew.

You think you're dealing with intelligent people, and then they come up with such nonsense.

I had to check my rig. Fortunately it was tucked away in my rig bag for protection.
I don't fly BA anymore. I have never had a problem with any other airline, other than if I exceed my carry-on weight/size.

'parachutes inflating' is the exact expression used.

Is it possible there was an AAD or AOD misfire incident sometime in the past on a BA airplane? This could be misinterpreted as a parachute inflating.

In early Feb 2006, in Thailand at the 400-way event, there were several Vigil AAD misfires when a Hercules C130 decided to pressurize during descent. Passenger airplanes with pressure system problems could have had weird pressurization changes that confused an earlier AAD.

They may not have been honest about "problems in the past", and was referring to something else such as an inflatable life raft that was brought on as carryon.

My experiences.

Used to not really mind either checking rig in hold or taking as hand luggage... until recently.

I tried to take rig thorugh as hand luggage at Standsted and got pulled up by security. They called airline who not only said it couldn't be taken on as hand lugagge, but also couldn't be checked in the hold.

It's not that the rig or the cypres was illegal by FAI rules, it was that this company has a corporate rule against it. Even though myself and hundreds of others have used the airline to fly to spain. It was only after trying to re-check it in on the sly (got busted) and then pleading with manager to call IReland that I could take it on.

Never again. If you are flying budget, hard case and check it. Take clothes and other stuff in hand lugagge to maximum weight limit. I flew with rig as hand lugagge pre & post Sept. 11th, but after this experience 10 months ago I don't see the point anymore.

You are flying with BA, so just check the rig with as much stuff in the bag as possible to the weight limit and carry on the rest. Why stress the rest?

Just my 2 cents.

Yep, Similar thing. One guy told me about gas canisters in rigs and understood my problem..... Airports and security issues of present coupled with a little ignorance and major dose of not wanting to be the one that makes a mistake (quite understandably) has led to these kind of exeperiences.

Best course of action, make sure bags are not too much over weight, smile, be polite and keep low profile!!!! Its a pain I know, but that is the environment we seem to have right now.

And that lie most of us say everytime we are asked '...and did you pack this bag yourself sir?'

As for the 'why stress with trying to take it as carry on': If you're off to a boogie and they lose it/reroute it to bolivia, insurance or no insurance, your holiday just got off to a really bad start as you're rigless. I'd rather have it in the overhead compartment...and hey, you never know, ya might need it! :P

Mike

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

My experiences.

Used to not really mind either checking rig in hold or taking as hand luggage... until recently.

Oh bugger. I've flown Ryanair from Stansted 6 or 7 times with no problem at all (rig carried on in a discreet bag). I'm due to go out to Empuriabrava in March with Ryanair - has this 'corporate rule' become a common problem? Anyone else been turned away at the door?

Regards
John

Yep, I hear you. But then, I would like to get on the flight first and then just hope my bags are going to make it!!!

When I was stopped I though it was cavity search time!! :D

Then I started to really worry that
1. I wouldn't be able to take my rig at all (wasn't allowed to check it!)
2. I wouldn't be on the flight

If you can get through x-ray and have a discreet bag like you mention, then all is good. But if one of the x-ray dudes decideds to say open that bag, I reckon you will be screwed. The first guy was cool, but once they start chatting and calling people it is pretty much game over.

I wasn't suppose to check it in either, but tried to blagg it by saying it was just too big and could I check it in with my other stuff. Then got busted again, and had to plead.

If you fly with Ryanair, small hard case for checking rig. Make sure you are under the weight limit and then use up the 15kg of hand lugagge.

I think some other BRits got turned away, as they weren't as lucky as me. I got an employee to call Dublin to ok it. Until that point it was 30 mins of "no way is that coming onboard".

Check it, smile, move on to security. Job done. I know the bags may not turn up, but compared to someone actually having a good chance of looking at it during X-Ray, I think it is the best option. It would seem that getting your bags checked in would proceed then worry where they end up. You got to check them to have the chance of having them get lost. Just my opinon though :)

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply. In the meantime, I've been to look at Ryanair's website, which has two detailed lists of items not permitted in the cabin and not permitted on the aircraft.

Unless I'm being stoopid, I can't see parachutes/skydiving equipment mentioned at all. Maybe a print of these two lists will have to join my letter from the CAA about Cypres in the bag...

Or is there another mystery 'Corporate Policy' I haven't found, I wonder?

John

Ryanair are going to start charging for all hold luggage soon. This has been in the news but I can't find any mention of it on their website. In return they promise to reduce the cost of air tickets.

Hell, I'll be happy to keep paying the full 64p for a ticket!

John

If you check your stuff in be careful with connecting flights. I fly BA a lot and sometimes your checked luggage will not make a connecting flight. That could force you to rent equipment if you plan to skydive the day you arrive. BA is pretty good about delivering your stuff directly to you by the end of the day. It used you be a joke when every time I would arrive in Paris in the morning my luggage would be delivered to my friend’s apartment in the evening because it missed the Heathrow connection.

Air France is worse. A few months ago I flew from JFK to Nice through Charles de Gaulle. My checked in luggage missed the connecting flight in Paris in the morning. There are loads of flights between Paris and Nice every day. For some reason I did not get my luggage until late in the afternoon on the next day. Fortunately, I checked in my clothes and carried on my SCUBA gear.