tomvailco

Reserve Rides

I in 600. Started as a baglock that cleared when I yanked on risers, then turned into spinner due to linetwists created by the baglock. Hard chop. In reserve saddle at 900.

I don't care to see the ground at that resolution without anything out any time soon.

2 jumps later I had a premature in HD. If I had anything but a Crossfire2, I'm sure I would have had a second reserve ride.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

2 in 700+ jumps.
Jump #57 a hard pull total on a 4-pin ripcord in a military surplus rig. (Gravely dirt in the RC housing)
Jump #108 a big ball-o-shit under a PC. (Probably just my pack job.)
Both were round reserves. Landings were no problem.
No mals under squares yet, although on reflection there was one (hung up brake line) that maybe I should have chopped.

18 in 4785 jumps.

7 from wraps/entanglements

7 from Tandem (1 x Baglock, 2 x broken steering line, 4 pressure knot)

4 on normal gear (1 x bridle/main entanglement, 1 x spinner, 1 x PC in tow (uncocked) 1 x broken lines)

1 Tandem reserve malfunction - Pressure knot.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

It would be kind of fun to see who has the most reserve rides in the first 25 jumps (minimum necessary these days for an A.)

No, I would never ever pick on anyone with Mafia standing, pink or otherwise!

Blue Skies,

JohnsIsland
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

Hey I'm winning - guess its all that CRW! - 15 in 4000 jumps
W

Yep, you are...but I am wondering if someone else will win the subthread (maybe third page) I started re the most reserve rides in first 25 jumps.

Wendy, you are my idol...the part were you talk about having trouble in freefall...I am on jump 11 and want to skip freefall and just go with CReW, sigh... Canopy control sure isn't a problem for me.

Thanks for providing some light at the end of the tunnel, and a bit of laughter. Maybe I will make it past the tumblefall soon. If I can't solve my tumblefall by summer, I will spend some time in Eloy...before I have the TUB talk with myself. Or how about a static line drouge? Wouldn't/shouldn't that stablize me? New form of training, static line drouge.

Bet the great instructor from my DZ doesn't that that one is funny. Suprise, she didn't think BASE jumping is a good idea either--I figured quick deployment would minimize the chance of me wrapping myself in my canopy lines, hahaha!

JohnsIsland

It would be kind of fun to see who has the most reserve rides in the first 25 jumps (minimum necessary these days for an A.)

No, I would never ever pick on anyone with Mafia standing, pink or otherwise!

27, thanks. :P

Y'know, I don't think I've brought that up (directly, anyway) on dropzone.com before, but what the hell, maybe it'll make some struggling student feel better.

Yes, I had 4 reserve rides in my first 27 jumps. Knock wood, I've not had one since.

Jump #6, first clear and pull. Went unstable, couldn't find ripcord, went more unstable. Remembered my instructor's mantra "Try twice, pull silver." So I did.

Jump #8, second attempt (Jump #7 was back on static line just to get me back into the air). Too keyed up, lost my grip, started bad, got worse. See Jump #6... same result.

Still (for whatever reason) determined to get this skydiving thing and since I had at least saved my own life (rather than letting the Cypres do it for me), my instructors weren't quite ready to give me the bowling speech. Switched to AFF for a few jumps just to get the whole "exit stable" thing down, eventually did my clear & pulls successfully, and today I even enjoy hop & pops.

Jump #23, my first solo jump after going through this modified AFF/SL progression (still not licensed). Stuck slider that had the canopy in a slow turn and didn't respond to my attempts to clear it. Given my experience level at the time, I wasn't sure I could land it safely, so I chopped. Would I now? Maybe, maybe not.

Jump #27, also a solo student jump. Spring-loaded pilot chute under the nose, wrapped itself around some A lines, looked like a lineover at first (and from another jumper's perspective). Tried to clear, but once it had wrapped itself it wasn't going to clear. Again, had the canopy in a slow turn. Would I try to land it today? Maybe, if I could control the canopy by pulling the opposite toggle down. At the time, I wasn't sure I could land it, so I chopped it.

I heard it all then, jokes, teasing, etc., "Maybe you should just quit, blah blah blah." That primarily came from up-jumpers, my instructors, by this point, were pretty invested in me...:D (at least out of morbid curiosity) and encouraged me to continue.

Every reserve ride was a learning experience. Every reserve ride I am fully confident that I made the best decision given my skill level at the time, my training, and the available information. I may sound a little defensive because I still get judged, so I tend not to bring it up unless someone else does.

I've been jumping my own gear since jump 30, got my A license at jump 37, and have not had a malfunction on my own gear (again, knock wood!). Doing everything I can to make that trend continue. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

thre was a guy in training a few yrs ago who had like 5 or 6 in his first 25. :S at least he always found everything, but maybe a handle or two

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Y'know, I don't think I've brought that up (directly, anyway) on dropzone.com before, but what the hell, maybe it'll make some struggling student feel better.

Sorry, didn't know you hadn't broached the subject on this site. I am very sorry I brought it up.

I am truly impressed how you stuck to it through your student status. Would I have kept on going if I had more than one reserve ride? Who knows, but I would have though about it more than I sense you did, and might have bailed out.

Each time you had a problem, you did exactly what you were taught to do. You always pulled yourself, and the Cypress never fired. That is impressive.

This struggling student wishes he had progressed as fast as you have, and had even a tiny fraction of the skills you had as a student.

You are one amazing skydiver and an amazing person as well. You have good advice, and a kind word for people on this forum.

Once again, I am very sorry I started this thread,

JohnsIsland

Nah, no worries, I'm not angry. You weren't specific about who you were talking about; only a couple people probably would have figured it out. It was my choice to give more detail. I really appreciate your compliments.

Rest assured, I *did* think about it a lot, I wondered a lot whether I really ought to be skydiving. I was very fortunate to have a great group of instructors who were willing to get creative to help me figure out how to "get it." I'm not ever going to be a natural at this sport, but so what? Too many people who *are* naturals develop a level of arrogance, and too many people who struggled as students forget what that is like. They say the worst students make the best instructors; someday, when I've got the skills and experience, I hope to prove that old adage. Till then, I figure I can at least help people through some of the "mental" struggles, and work with new up-jumpers as they break in to the sport.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Nah, no worries, I'm not angry. You weren't specific about who you were talking about; only a couple people probably would have figured it out. It was my choice to give more detail. I really appreciate your compliments.

Glad you were not mad, I thought you were. I didn't mention names because that wouldn't be right.

Have a laugh at my expense...surf over to skydivingmovies.com and search for splashdown. You might recognize the DZ. If you wonder down before the move, I will even tell you where the "pond" is, so you can avoid it!

My next landing was so different, first good standup (couple of steps) and it just felt right...

When will you put away your traveling gear for a while, in other words when will you be back in the great state?

Take care,

Jeff

Went from the "back of a YAK" (52) and had a "1 unstowed" mal. It evolved into a lineover and severe flatspin. Not being in the mood, for such tomfoolery....I took the rest of my gear and left. Interestingly enough, it was jump #52....and from a YAK-52....I really should have known.

"T'was ever thus."

Do BASE jumps count?

Otherwise 2 in 800 jumps - 1 due to lousy packing and 1 from a totally shredded mini-riser (all three rings and even the gromet were torn off). Thank the good Lord I didn't have an RSL!

DEFINITLY. I thought base jumpers didn't use reserve rigs. Though I did see a clip of one on skydivingmovies.com called the wizard or something...

4 in 850 jumps :o

First one for unintentional CRW (canopy collision)
Second one (4 yrs to the date later) inentional CRW (broken lines)
Third one was line twists (on a 70-something way, so people found my stuff!!!! cpoxon is my hero)
My last one was a stuck toggle (riser flaps came open while I was headdown and lines got tangled)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I thought base jumpers didn't use reserve rigs.

Many BASE jumpers consider their canopy a reserve, considering its opening performance and care of packing.

"Why not jump a Sorcerer?"
"I don't need two reserves!"

[BASE canopies are different than reserves, it's just the concept]
I really don't know what I'm talking about.