pBASEtobe

Relative Workshop - Wheelchair Deployment

No wiser than anyone else, but a wild stab in the dark is maybe some sort of prototype rig system that would allow a disabled person to be stable/comfy in a solo freefall and deployment as opposed to a tandem jump ?

Or maybe a tandem rig specificaly for taking disabled people with atrophied(spelling?) limbs?

Though maybe you would be able to have more of an idea on whats feasable or realistic as a suggestion that I would.
Got me interested now :)
Let us know if you find out what it is :)

Yea I was talking to Bill Booth at PIA and he was talking about this, he said he was tinkering around with how to keep jumping in old age when he gets to the age when he has to have a walker or chair to get around, he can just roll out said he got the idea from the pops patch.
;):P

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Re - tandem skydiving with 'wheelchair dependent persons'

Yeah I tried contacting RWS a couple times about it last year. (Starting before the whole falling-out-of-the-harness accident thing.)

They said they had misplaced the paper copies during a move of one of their departments, were planning to get it updated or something, but I never heard back.

One document that is floating around somewhere is the 1995 "Tandem Skydiving with Wheelchair Dependent Persons" by Paul Murphy from Australia. It's a 128k Word file that has some recommendations plus results from a survey of DZ's for their policies and procedures. I have a copy which I might have found on dropzone.com during the long discussions on that accident last year.

It has some useful info for those of us who aren't familiar with all of the complications of spinal cord injury etc.. As for procedures to use, the document discusses a few different techniques, but still leaves it open to judgement what is best or sufficient in any particular situation.

I'm curious as to what the document is about. Are you saying it just talks about how to take wheelchair dependent people on tandems or is it about how to actually deploy a parachute from a wheelchair or what? I think I know of the document you're referring to but I'm not sure the "Manual: Wheelchair Deployment" is the same thing.

The document is "Tandem Skydiving with Wheelchair Dependent Persons" by Paul Murphy and is located at the following link.
http://www.relativeworkshop.com/docs/THESIS%20Tandem%20Skydiving%20with%20Wheelchair%20Dependant%20Persons.doc
I will have our website updated to contain this information.

Mark Klingelhoefer
Spare Parts Sales
Relative Workshop

The Aussie document is about taking wheelchair dependent people up as tandem passengers, leaving the chair on the ground.

I understood that the RWS document is the same type of thing.

RWS are just redistributing Paul's thesis. Credit where credit is due, please :)
In case the RWS link goes dead in future, the document is also available here on dropzone.com.