papax17

Finally...

Well I finnally get to start AFF in March at Cross Keys. I havent signed up for it or anything yet but I finnally got the o.k. from my parents which was very important to me. I know it sounds lame and all but I dont think I could done if I felt guilty about jumping.

Anyway...I know ever since the Shaina Richards incident there has been huge concerns about health insurance...and rightfully so. I am covered for health insurance under my mothers policy she gets through her employer but I am afraid skydiving injuries might not be covered. What is the best way to go about checking up on this? Should I call them and just plain ask? I was reading over the policy the other night and I didnt see anything about extreme sports or high risk activities but I know when it comes to this kind of stuff there is a lot of fine print and catches. The closest thing I saw to skydiving was that you were not covered if you were riding a motorcycle without a helmet and got injured.

If I am not covered are there simple policies I can buy for myself that have good coverage but doesnt have a rediculous price tag?

I know there have been many posts about this and I did a search but I am not getting very good results.

Thanks in advance
papa

I called mine & straight out asked if they covered accidents from such things as surfing, motorcross, hang-gliding, bungie jumping, boating, water skiing, skydiving, mountain climbing. Blue Cross Blue Shield didn't have any issue, but that may be policy specific, insurance is a mystery to me.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Yea I wasnt sure if I should do taht because I wasnt sure if that was reason enough for them to raise my insurance.

I called them and slowly got into the "hazardous hobby" questions. They couldnt give me a straight up yes or no on the coverage so they took my # and said they would call me back.

From the looks of it so far it looks like I will most likely be covered but I want to be sure god forbid anything was to happen.

Your Mom should have a handbook on her health insurance coverage.

It's not typically excluded from policies. Looking at the big picture, a very small percentageof the population jumps. So the risk to the company is small. Lots more get injured in auto accidents, for instance, and the insurance companies have no issue covering them.

Life insurance policies however, are a different story. even though you can get coverage, an individual may get "rated up" (charged a higher premium) if they participate in "hazardous activities". When I was working for a large life insurance company in a rural area, I had quite a few clients paying higher premiums because they raced stock cars as a hobby.

The company I work for is self-insured. When I broke my ankle to the tune of about 20 grand, then paid all but a few hundred dollars of the bill, no questions asked.

Easy Does It

Yea I looked through the book and they had a list of things that werent covered. At the bottom of the list of things that werent covered there was fine italic print that said "this is not a complete list..." So I went and called the insurance company and they did a lot of research and found nothing on dangerous activities and said they would call me back and never did.