apollard24

Shoulder Problems

I was thinking about having my BOC throw out changed to the left side on my container. Does anyone have any experiences with this and what problems it may cause? I did a search and could not really find what I was looking for. I took a week long trip to Puerto Rico and my first jump my should went out, could not move my arm to deploy my main, had to pull my reserve.
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

Just a thought...how about going and having your shoulder fixed??

There are a few threads on shoulder surgery on here. I had mine fixed last year.....
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

First of all, congrats on a good decision and action to go for your reserve. But, like eeneR said, I think your first step should be to get a doctor to check your shoulder out. Shoulders are very delicate mechanisms, and it may be that you need treatment.

Yes, left-side BOCs do exist and I'm sure there are folks more experienced than me who can talk about the pros/cons with them, but I'd say first step is to get that shoulder looked at. I've also had shoulder surgery and it's not something to mess around with.[:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I would think that this would take away from what appears to me as a safety design in our rigs.... I take comfort in knowing that if I mess up a hand /arm to the point that it would be useless for deployment, that my other hand should be able to deploy one of the two canopies without any trouble or reaching, although you should be able to deploy the reserve with either arm, but whatever ;)

I dont know what I'm talking about :)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks for all your replies and pm's. I should have stated before that I will talk to my DZO and rigger about switching over but most importantly have my shoulder looked over by a doctor. That is not something I want to play around with. Thanks again! ;)
Breathe out so I can breathe you in...

As far as I'm aware, its a simple case of unstitching your BOC pouch, turning it round, and restitching it (done by a rigger, obviously). Some containers may require that you close flaps 3 and 4 in the 'other' order.

Obviously you should evaluate whether you could still pull silver with your right hand if you were to dislocate your left arm or somesuch.

i was told this same thing by an AFFI this week... i just had my first jump post-my shoulder repair - and it was awesome!! i am really glad that i got it done, and now with all the rehab my right shoulder is well stronger than my left. i haven't switched to left-hand because i wanted to get it fixed and didn't want to retrain - although i am comforted by the fact that it could be an option for me if necessary.

just wanted to throw in that being unable to use an arm in freefall (as you have seen) is a REALLY bad feeling. whether or not it requires repair, you want an orthopedist to look at your joints and see if there are reasons why you are predisposed to dislocate.
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

Doc told me today that I have a torn rotator cuff, looks like I will be out for a while...:(:( Thanks for all your replies and PM's ;)

Bummer, but at least now you know and know there's a treatment path. You'll be back... the sky will wait for you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Doc told me today that I have a torn rotator cuff, looks like I will be out for a while...:(:( Thanks for all your replies and PM's ;)

Bummer. I take it your doc wants to cut ya? Heal up quick. I'd say welcome to skydiving, but I see you only have 28 jumps... anyway, a lot of jumpers I know, especially those of us that do a lot of 4-Way have rotator cuff "issues". :S