WooHoo

FIRST JUMP WIT

When I was learning doing my AFF course the instructors told my friend and I that before the exit we will be asked "Are you ready to skydiVe"? He added that most folk manage to squeak out "Yes" and they would appreciate something more original in reply.

So we spent too much time thinking of smart wise cracks to say at the door than on the jump itself.

My friend when asked are you ready to skydiVe replied "I'm ready to plummet" I squeaked "Born ready" before giVing the most forced smile of my life.

Neither instructor made a comment afterwards, so I guess they were not that memorable?

Any other offers?

Before you comment my keyboard only giVes me the letter V in capital form.

"Don't worry I haVe a plan"

After AFF 4 I told my instructors that I was not an “Are you ready to skydive?” “Hell Ya!!!” kind of person. That’s just me though. I preferred a calm, “Are you ready?” After answering yes they would say, “Let’s go” and we would give the ‘good luck/have a good skydive’ shake. Now, I am usually first out. At the two minute warning I do my final “check of threes” gear check and have my gear checked from behind. I will check the spot with the coach and give a count for the coach. If I am jumping on my own I do my pre-skydive gear checks and have my gear checked by the guy behind me. After the spot has been confirmed by an experienced jumper I look below, set up, and go.

That is my experience.

I put a student out one time on a static, feet out, climb out went well, she looked back at me I yelled go! she looked forward and............the pilot got to work staying over the dz and trying to shake her off. He got her to moving up and down in momentum then broke the momentum quickly and got her shook off. this was her 3rd jump and she did a few more before giving up.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

First jump wit, I like this thread...

I have two pieces for you.

First jump course (S/L) taught me the instructor would tell me to sit in the door (C182), and I should look for the landing zone. So, instructor said sit in the door, and apparently I sat in the door for a few seconds before the instructor said "It's there, just step out.", or something similar. I didn't understand the time constraints of a plane flying off the spot. I did feel a bit rushed the next few jumps, a bit of pressure, I guess. But I didn't sit in the door looking for the landing zone.

But my favorite memory of that first jump was after I was out on the step thinking this isn't scary (I have been scared of heights in the past.) However, after I was given the GO, and was falling for those couple of seconds (S/L), I thought "OH SHIT, I am FALLING!"

Duh, what did I think I was going to do. Yea,I was a bit scared until my canopy opened. Fine after that. But it's still good for a laugh when I think of that.

JJ

Scared of heights in the past...I think that was related to how safe I felt. Standing on the C182 step I felt safe, two parachutes, etc.. I suspect I could feel comfortable standing at the edge of a roof these days, IF I had a fall protection harness on. Or maybe I am just getting old, or who knows!?!
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

Any other offers?

On the ground, my FJC instructor and video guy is doing the interview for the video.

FJCIAVG: "So, what are you about to do?"
Me: "Jump out of a reasonably good airplane."

Maybe he was humoring me, but he seemed to think that was a funny alternative to "perfectly good".
Of course, then it got screwed up and that bit of the interview didn't make it onto the tape.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.