WooHoo

First Jump a BASE

This thread is the result of a conversation with "a bloke in a pub'. I only mention this because such sources are the stuff of "Urban Myth".

Anyhoo this fellow told me of a girl who had never dome a standard parachute static line or freefall jump in her life, and all her jumps were of the BASE variety. Now such stories are told by people who know the second cousine of the barman who served her uncles dentist variety.
Nevertheless it got me thinkng. Are there any BASE jumpers who never took the conventional route?

Could the stoy be true? So withthat in mind are there any other "Urban MYths" which a) may be true or b) obviouslys are not true but worth telliing due to there "Oh Wow " factor.

"The difference between genius and stupidity?..............there is a limit to genius" Albert Einstien

B|

There is no way in hell they would get me to jump off that cliff. Was she a cliff diver?

I don't know about the so called "Urban Myth" from the originator of this thread since he has ties to the UK. But the death camping which has occurred in the past has been at a span in Idaho (a bridge) which is legal to jump from 24 hours a day 365 days a year and at least initially the student was instructed to make water landings. Remember BASE is an acronym and it stands for Buildings, Antennas, Spans (bridges) and Earth (cliffs). It's a controversial topic to say the least, but it has been done.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I don't know about the so called "Urban Myth" from the originator of this thread since he has ties to the UK. But the death camping which has occurred in the past has been at a span in Idaho (a bridge) which is legal to jump from 24 hours a day 365 days a year and at least initially the student was instructed to make water landings. Remember BASE is an acronym and it stands for Buildings, Antennas, Spans (bridges) and Earth (cliffs). It's a controversial topic to say the least, but it has been done.

Gee, you guys are so young. 'The death camping that has occurred in the past...'

I'll wait for Nick to hop in here, but Carl Boenish's teenaged neighbor did over 100 BASE jumps before jumping out of a plane, and they weren't all bridges. That would be in -- what -- '81?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Same advice as PhreeZone has given...
Ask this in BASE Zone. I'm sure this will lead to a very interesting discussion.
If you want to make it even more interesting, please ad that you are interested in doing a Death Camp and ask for contact information...:)
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

>>I'll wait for Nick to hop in here, but Carl Boenish's teenaged neighbor did over 100 BASE jumps before jumping out of a plane, and they weren't all bridges. That would be in -- what -- '81?<<

Yes, that was Ritchie, but then he spent the rest of his BASE career telling people not to go about it the way he did . . .

BTW, I recall his first airplane jump at Lake Elsinore. It was sort of but not really an AFF kind of thing and he did fine. It was his first stowed jump, and probably his first terminal velocity jump and he figured his canopy time on that one skydive was about equal to his canopy time from all his 100 previous BASE jumps.

NickD :)BASE 194

I jumped with a guy from OK ( Mark Herndon) in the late 80s early 90s, he started base jumping before he ever made a skydive froma plane.....

He started as a climber. When he was climbing a cliff (maybe in CA??).... canopies from base jumpers were opening around him ....which sparked his desire to start base jumping.

A while back...someone mentioned that he quit base after 99 jumps......

Mark...u still alive??

Maybe a long time ago. But the guys at the Perrine don`t do deth camping any more. A good friend of mine Johnny Utah does first jump courses out there at the Perrine and he will not do first jump courses unless you have at least 200 skydives.Johnny is very smart and conservetive when it comes to B.A.S.E
Deth Camping is not smart call Johnny Utah or got to bridge day and do your first BASE jump.

Have you seen the Travis Pastrana video, it was posted on skydivingmovies.com some time ago. It has some incredible jumps involiving Travis jumping his motorcross bike off the Grand Canyon. Apparantly he never had any skydiving training and just did a intensive base course. That's what I was told anyway.

Pastrana dirtbike cliff BASE

There's some comments about his experience on sdm.com and there's also a few posts in the BASE Zone about it.

The Keen N' Able DVD by Jimmy Halliday has an extra about a 16 year old girl named Claire that was death camped at the Perrine Bridge.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative