packing_jarrett

Mr. Bill Jump today

Allright we're in NW weather so the cieling is pretty low. nothing much to do but hop-n-pops. Flippin' sweet how about a Mr. Bill jump. Me and my buddy Dan-o had never done one before but seen other people. we practiced the exit a few times and were satisfied and all. Got in the plane for 6K. The climb out was as really long, probably a minute or two. its a 182 so I was going to be the hanger and I was in the crotch and he was inside step-ish. I didn't get much of a grip but what the hell if it was easy it wouldn't be fun. Good exit went a little head down and pitched. his lines flipped through are feet (no biggy:P) as soon as we reached line stretch that crappy hold came off. Luckily I had my legs around his around his and he had a good stong hold on my altimeter. So I'm like dangling there head down and there's massive line twists, the whole time I'm yelling hold it hold it!!! Narroting like only 4 more twists left. so he kind of pics me up and I'm sitting on his lap facing each other holding somewhat of a debrief and then 4K came around and Dan-o is like while you better be jumping. "yeah when ever" a few more seconds of small talk and I fall off. There is nothing that I can say to describe the feeling- kind of like your first jump- watch him and keep him in view. I tried to pick up some speed so I wouldn't have a snivler and pitched and was in the saddle by 2.5K. it was the coolest jump out of my 122 and my camera wasn't even on.
Na' Cho' Cheese

Shouldn't you be taking your Mr. Bill a little more seriously... the line twist's etc.? Doesn't sound like you have the most safety conscious attitude, from this and some of your other posts on DZ.com.

I only have a handful more jumps than you, and have done a very successful Mr. Bill, but we also had a lot of prep by the DZO and S&TA before doing it, and agreed that if the exit and open wasn't perfect, I was letting go.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I did about a dozen Mr. bill jumps in my first 1000. None since. They are a little dangerous and should be taken kinda seriously. They are cool and the fall away is a lot like a base jump, that is cool.

Good job surviving.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

There was another thread about safety and DZ culture, and I think it correlates here well.

If packing_jarret was jumping at my DZ, he would not be allowed to jump an elliptical canopy loaded at 1.3 at 122 jumps, and every other DZ in the area would uphold the same restriction. Put simply in our area, this guy would be stuck on the ground with that canopy, no matter how good he may perceive himself to be.

Who are the people that are on his DZ that are letting him get away with his progression?

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

It didn't go perfect and he didn't die either. Back seat him all you want cuz that's what this forum is for. The situation was dynamic and it was pulled off with flaws, but pulled off nonetheless. In fact that sounds like the harriest one that wasn't a bust. (shakes head)

Jarrett, I'd do a Mr Bill dive with you anyday. (with permission of course). Not all mine have been successful but I've NEVER gone head down. The exit is key... as you well know... now;). The exit is not hard to do but trying to jump off belly to earth rather than belly to relative wind will do that to you.

Be careful, lines through the legs is a big deal, you pulled off a sketchy one so prepare a lot more next time. 122 jumps, yeah I'd expect this sort of thing from you:P. Take your time cuz by the time you're 30, you'll have been involved in this sport longer than just about anyone here.

Congratulations ... have fun, stay safe and don't die!

cheers
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I like the response Tim. If I would have had more then 30 sec this morn I would have written the same. No negative back seatn here. I don't see anything to bad about what he did, or what he jumps. I wish I could have done it that young.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

dude I had to work hard and show some effort to let people trust me with what I'm doing. The whole camera thing I had been working on since I started jumping. they just didn't hand me a camera, I did some training and went into it gradually. The BW 116 came even slower in time. I was very conservative the canopy progresion not skipping one step at all. I understand why you would put something like that but if you saw the things I went through to have so much fun you'd think differently. I know the dangers in this sport I've seen people get hurt and I know the outcome as well as or more than any other skydiver.
Tim, I think it would be awsome to do another. You have to start somewhere and I'm pretty sure the second one would be even better. Maybe someone could hang onto me and do the Mr. Bill.

Oh and to everyone who concerns about my safety: I have to clear just about every jump with my dad, my dad is my personal S&TA. He tells me when and when not to jump and also who and who not to jump with. I don't think its fair to say what can and cannot be done by just blindly looking at jump numbers.
Na' Cho' Cheese

As you read through the different forums on here you will begin to relieze that alot of people on here like to make generalizations and comment on your jump numbers, your wing loading, etc, etc even though none of them have seen you jump.

I have had people (who again have not seen me jump AND who are in no way familiar with my Instructor) tell me that my instructor is wrong in giving me the advice he has given me becuase of my jump numbers.

Go Figure...
*shrug*

I like to think they are doing it cause they care but never the less it does appear to happen alot.
Derec Davies
Big_Red

As you read through the different forums on here I have had people (who again have not seen me jump AND who are in no way familiar with my Instructor) tell me that my instructor is wrong in giving me the advice he has given me becuase of my jump numbers.
/reply]

At twelve jumps you should take advice from NO ONE but your Instructor. He knows you hands on.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

As you read through the different forums on here you will begin to relieze that alot of people on here like to make generalizations and comment on your jump numbers, your wing loading, etc, etc even though none of them have seen you jump.

I have had people (who again have not seen me jump AND who are in no way familiar with my Instructor) tell me that my instructor is wrong in giving me the advice he has given me becuase of my jump numbers.

Go Figure...
*shrug*

I like to think they are doing it cause they care but never the less it does appear to happen alot.

You should probably take the advice given by the higher jump number guys to heart... They arent just talking out of their ass... the "You dont knnooooowww me" attitude should be banned from this sport.

You should probably take the advice given by the higher jump number guys to heart... They arent just talking out of their ass... the "You dont knnooooowww me" attitude should be banned from this sport.

dude did you READ? (apparently) he's been blessed BY THOSE WHO HAVE SEEN HIM LAND.. to fly what he is flying...

but hey, why not continue to backseat QB without any real info on his ability or flying style? blanket statements based on jump numbers alone are oh so reliable when compared to someone who ACTUALLY KNOWS HOW he flies..:S

perhaps the "My high number of jumps means i can evaluate anyone solely from an internet post" attitude should be banned instead?

Then agian.. look at the "What makes an instructor..." thread in the gear fourm that talks about what makes an instructor the right person to give gear advice.

I know an instructor (no at my DZ thankfully) that was trying to get rid of a rig so they were trying to talk a fresh off student status kid that was jumping 220 sized canopies into a Stiletto 135 at about 1.5ish and said "you'll be fine, just don't do any thing stupid". Lucklly the student was talked to by others about why its a bad idea and did'nt get it. But just since someone is an instructor does not suddenly make all their recommendations perfect, and just since someone has a few thousand jumps does'nt mean they can give perfect advice also.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Then agian.. look at the "What makes an instructor..." thread in the gear fourm that talks about what makes an instructor the right person to give gear advice.

I know an instructor (no at my DZ thankfully) that was trying to get rid of a rig so they were trying to talk a fresh off student status kid that was jumping 220 sized canopies into a Stiletto 135 at about 1.5ish and said "you'll be fine, just don't do any thing stupid". Lucklly the student was talked to by others about why its a bad idea and did'nt get it. But just since someone is an instructor does not suddenly make all their recommendations perfect, and just since someone has a few thousand jumps does'nt mean they can give perfect advice also.

Mmmmyes. I know a wingsuit instructor who tried to sell a skyflyer to a newbie wingsuiter (who had a grand total of 3 wingsuit jumps and ~220 jumps total), because he had one for sale >:(>:(>:(

ciel bleu,
Saskia

dude did you READ? (apparently) he's been blessed BY THOSE WHO HAVE SEEN HIM LAND.. to fly what he is flying...

Isn't the 14 year oldness just as much a factor as flying skills? How many of us had the wisdom and experience in anything that we do now (not just jumping)? I did a lot of stupid things at 14 that in my 'older and wiser' judgment probably weren't the wisest moves in the world.

Almost every 14 year old on earth thinks they know better than those around them. Many have that 'invincability' attitude that does things like make them think it is cool or funny to have issues like above on a Mr. Bill. Fourteen year olds brag about things like that. The more mature attitude would be acknowledging the potential problems there, admit that certain aspects of the jump were neither safe nor wise choices in retrospect, and let others learn from the situation instead of bragging about how cool the jump was.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I agree.

Let's put it this way: I think it's probably fair to say that the "default position" is that the "average" person with 120 jumps is probably light on the experience sufficient to safely do a Mr. Bill, or jump a camera, or jump a canopy with higher than a moderate wing loading. The jumper being 15 years old probably skews the default position in favor of it being even less safe. The fact that he's in a skydiving family might skew in favor of more safe. The latter 2 factors might cancel each other out.