skydivingdutch

Has someone made a good skydiving documentary?

I am not talking about the freefly dvds that include people getting a blowjob or experiments with the list of transitions in iMovie.

I want to know if someone has done a good well thought out documentary of the skydiving scene, the people, dropzones, adventures, risks, interviews etc. Something positive (but realistic) for the sport, that a wuffo could watch and get interested in. Something you could see aired on Discovery or so.
Plenty of docs like this have been made over sea exploration for example.

http://dropman.com

Patrick Passe's Crosswind comes to mind - but it's more eye candy than documentary.

Joe Jenning's Goodstuff includes his commentary and a couple of interviews. Along with alot of cars being trashed.

Wasn't there a docco on Airspeed?

Let see what others come up...
Blue Dreams Benno

"Free Fall" (also known as "Out of the Blue") is a GREAT 50-minute documentary. It was shown on Discovery. Includes:

- history of the sport back in 50s
- Kittinger jump
- Tandem jumping with Bill Booth
- North Pole jumps
- skysurfing
- freeflying with Flyboyz
- AADs, audible altimeters explained
- factory tours, making the parachutes
- Golden Knights training
- LOTS of interviews with fampous skydivers, manufacturers, etc.
- risks and reserve parachutes explained
- and much more!

All that is great to watch for skydivers and wuffos!

You can fidn it brand new on E-bay by typing "Free Fall" (with a space). I got oit there for $5.

Here is one auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Free-Fall-Skydiving-New-OOP-VHS_W0QQitemZ9110460898QQcategoryZ309QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Geat movie, Discovery style and quality!!!

As an overview of the sport, I highly recommend Norman Kent's "Flight of the Dream Team." It's at least 10 years old, but it gives a great visual and narrative history of skydiving from Leonardo da Vinci to the modern era. You can buy it as part of a packaged DVD called "Dive In" that includes some of Norman's other earlier stuff like "From Wings Came Flight."

Doug