Mostly_Harmless

Sky's The limit/X-keys/The Ranch

Alright so this whole winter thing is getting to me. I just got my brand new gear (it's just about complete, they sent me the wrong d-bag and now they are sending me the right one) and I would really like to jump. I am willing to drive the 2+ hours to get to any one of these DZ's. With this weekends weather approaching the 60's it seems like jumping would be a good idea. The only problem is that looking at the weather I see partly cloudy everywhere. I would like to know from the locals of these DZ's what party cloudy means to them. When you see partly cloudy on the news do you plan to go to the DZ, maybe call them? I know at SDLI normally partly cloudy means there are a lot of holes in the sky and the chances of jumping is good.

I was thinking the Ranch too but I do have on concern about it. Now first off, I am confident in my landings as that I have been practicing every jump to land where I want to (as in picking a spot and landing close to that). But that is at SDLI which has a 10,000FT runway and you could pretty much land anywhere you want on that if something happens. I heard that the landing area at the Ranch is much smaller and I know that I could do it, but I am just a concern over new gear-new dropzone. Should I be worried?

The Ranch does have a smaller landing area than STL, but I really don't think it is any worse in terms of problems for you. And I wouldn't really consider it "small."

Attached is a pic of the dz I took. Granted it is winter, but it will give you an idea. You are seeing about 2/3 of the runway and landing area in that pic.

FYI Cross Keys is holding Safety Day on Saturday. Definitely worth the 2 hour drive. Plus we're planning on a ton of jumping! Here's our weekend weather forecast:

Saturday
Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 60s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday
Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the lower 60s.

Doesn't mean too much this far out, but it sure looks like we'll be jumping! Our biggest weather problem has been the wind lately [:/]

btw right now it's 'mostly cloudy' or even 'overcast' but the clouds are at 13,000' so I'm off to the DZ!B|

Oh, and don't worry about The Ranch having a small landing area, you'd have to jump at the original SDLI to know what small really was.

The old timers have no problem telling me how small it use to be! I know SDLI is having safety day but I just really want to get back into jumping, winter really sucks. I will check Cross keys out. Does Cross Keys have freeflying coaches all year long?

go to the ranch and talk to anyone there and they will give you a quickie briefing...looks like the ranch is going to be hopping and lots of cool stuff goign on this weekend now that I am goingt o eloy :-P

Have fun be safe

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Weather anywhere in New England is pretty consistently "partly cloudy," but any of those three DZs will put planes up if there are people willing to jump 'em. I've jumped at all three; they're all great DZs with awesome people. Don't try to pick one - try them all out. Hit a different one each weekend!