iwasinkheson68

dumping out the back of a skyvan

something i've been wondering about for a while now, what do you guys reckon would happen if you were to stand in the back of the skyvan, facing the pilot, and throw out your pc? run in speed can't be much faster than terminal? would you come to grief?

NB: i am not thinking of trying this in any hurry.

It might get interesting as your PC bounces around in the odd and mostly dead air in the door of a Skyvan as it finds the door latch or bench post to wrap around before you accidently fall off through your lines of your D-bag since that just fell out of your container too...

Not saying that it would happen, just that it came to mind thinking about that scenerio.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

This actually happened at HALO school as an accident and has also been repeated on purpose by someone I know. As it has been said, its a very bad idea and I don't recommend trying it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

While the above posters are right it is not great idea due to snag issues, I also have see it done before but sitting on the tail gate, it was a clean deployment and the pc only danced
a short time in the burble, but stayed tight and away from the side walls, the jumper stayed sitting on the tail gate as the main deployed and wasn't pulled off till the whole canopy was out of the bag and taking air in the first 3 cells, then he smoothly was extracted out the back, the canopy opened in a horizontal deployment.
While I wouldn't make it an everyday thing to do, after seeing it done,it was cool to see done BTW ,I would do it without a second thought if I had to do it. The government dose extractions out the back of C-130's a fair amount with skids of cargo and even tanks, but they have also lost crews doing it too, and they do it with the wheels on the gound or just about touching.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

A few jumpers at Quincy tried this one year to launch Mr. Bill's. It worked, but the openings were nasty (opening in the prop blast.) They did it twice that I saw with no serious problems. Not a good idea overall, as others have mentioned.

I remember seeing an old Ghost Riders video of the 4 of them exiting the Skyvan at Perris (I think it was) where it looked like they all did exactly that, or pretty close to it.

I wouldn't want to try it unless I had to, but would be willing to ride up in the Skyvan and video you doing it, if you want... ;)... course, I'll have my rig on and will "go for help" if your main winds up wrapped around the tail... :P
:)

I'll have my rig on and will "go for help" if your main winds up wrapped around the tail...

:D:ph34r::D
That's really funny. I got to remember that one for a new student or tandem

Yeah, well, I guess I have to give credit where credit is due... back in the day, a buddy of mine, Philly, was spotting a load over Cal City for a Dar Robinson (sp?) stunt for that ol' show That's Incredible. The gig was... they had this old VW Micro-Bus with the roof cut out in the back of this C119. They were going to dump this thing out of the back of the 119, it would be "stabilized" in freefall under a drouge... Dar would bail out after it, fly down to it, get in, deploy a huge assed cargo cute, get the thing started up and when it hit the ground, cut-away the cargo chute and drive away... *cue Cathy Lee saying* THAT's INCREDIBLE! Anyway, they were having trouble with the drouge deployment system and had bounced a couple of Micro-Buses... but thought they had it all fixed and were going up for another try... so... the last attempt goes something like this... according to the lore... my buddy Philly is spotting this 119 over the outskirts of Cal City, gives the signal to "go"... the crew starts to push the Micro-Bus out of this 119 when the drouge fires still inside the plane... as the Micro-bus and drouge go out, barely missing the horizontal between the twin booms at the back of this 119, the drouge cleans out out a bunch of fuel lines inside the cargo bay of the bird... with fuel spraying all around... one of the crew... who had a bail out rig on for "safety", but wasn't a jumper asks my bud Philly what they should do! To which he replies, "You wait here, I'm going for help" and he promptly un-assed himself from the airplane.

Anyway, all ended well, the pilot & co-pilot managed to land the plane without things going boom... and I don't think they ever got that stunt working right... ergo, you never saw it on T.V.

Here's some old shots of British rotations team Skytribe doing the same thing - this is from a Skyvan:
http://crwdog.servebeer.com/CRWdog/Brits.html

I think we have a slightly different idea of what is being described by the original poster. The guys in the shots you linked to are already outside of the aircraft. What I think is being asked and what I am describing is that the person is INSIDE the aircraft , on the tailgate and throws his PC OUTSIDE the aircraft and waits for his chute to pull him outside of the aircraft.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Have someone jump out with your pc in their hand like they did to deploy the drogue on Hartmans plane on the show Stunt Devils I Think.

now that would be relatively safe right? I'm being totally serious.
It would elimanate the PC bounching around in the burble, and possibly catching on stuff.

MB 3528, RB 1182