scrublink

Bored after 20 years

I have been sitting here at the computer for about 20 min. reading the posts in this thread. I have seen a lot of great suggestions. I can't see anything that hasn't already been brought up. The thing I do see is that you are the one shooting them all down, each and every one. You have an excuse for each, you have tried it, don't, can't, or wont do it again. It sounds to me as if you have made up your mind and you are just trying to say to everyone, "look, I tried everything". So hit the bricks. If your bored with this try something else. quit trying to make someone else convince you. Just leave and stop wasting our time. Sorry I am being so harsh, it's just who I am. I don't subscribe to the new age love, peace, joy BS. You do it or not, make up your mind. I have seen some great suggestions. The balls in your court. Let us know when you bowl your first perfect game.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Well, I am taking a break from rock climbing to give sky diving a try, so there is an opening for you there. In rock climbing I spent all of my time doing everything in my power NOT to fall. Trying a sport where falling is the point seems like the (il)logical thing to do.

See what it feels like to earn your altitude.

Scott

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

This is a feeling that has been growing and nibbling at me for quite a while. I am bored. This year I will pass my twentieth year in the sport and while I find it to be mildly amusing I also find that I look toward a weekend at the dropzone as a necessary evil or chore. I have been going to the DZ every weekend in season for most of my adult life. I just do it because I alway have.

Has anyone else gone through this. How can I make this interesting again?
Ed

Hey dude, life is to short to just do one thing -- even if it is skydiving. I took 25yrs off to do OTHER FUN STUFF. Go Hang gliding, get into car racing at your local track, learn to fly AEROBATICS, get a 500hp Boss Hoss motorcycle----do anything, just don't be bored.

There IS more to life, go find what turns you on again.

A fun day for me is riding the Boss Hoss to the airport, getting in the plane for some acro, then landing at the dropzone for a few jumps. Then you got to do it all over again to get home;) On the way home from the airport stop by the local indoor gun range for some target shooting to blow off a little steam...............THEN IF YOU'RE STILL BOARD, I CAN'T HELP YA! ;)

The only things I really keep shooting down are the ones I just can't afford. One of the things I would like to try is the wingsuit thing but I can't afford the suit and new gear to jump it. However one of the posters suggested a canopy that might fit into my container that would be mor suitable so that is an avenue I am looking at.
I don't think you are harsh you're just speaking your mind. Thats cool.

The only peopl so far that I can't seem to understand are the ones that have PM'd me ( with blank profiles and/or screen names that I have not seen previously) and told me that I was looking for ego gratification or that I was the biggest loser they had ever heard of. I am toning down the language quite a bit, but you get the picture. Seems that some people grow larg balls when they are anonymous. Human nature I guess.

I was and am looking for a way to put the spark back in the sport for myself. This might mean taking lots of time off during the season to pursue other things even bowling. Just so I don't feel obligated to jump just because its a weekend. Maybe leess tandems and more fun jumps.

Thanks for the input.

Ed

Give it a rest and do something else this year. Everything gets boring if you do it long enough (maybe even sex ? - don't know, I'm not there yet...). There's more to life than skydiving.

What do you WANT to do ? Life is short, so whatever it is, get going !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Sex is not boring !!! if yourre bored skydiving get the fuck out,,,go away !!!

listen to what you are saying! you are just looking for attention nothing else,,,,,where else would you do such a thing? Pussy...........

Skydiving can in fact get boring.

Why be so evil to a guy that does not agree with you?

There are weekends I want nothing to do with the DZ.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Didn't mean anything personal,,yes,everything can get boring,its up to you not to let it. If i was bored i wouldn't hop on the internet and whine about it,,i would move on.................................................
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

you should try some skydiving dude, coz in 20 years your jump numbers are low !

Most of the 'ASSES' i know log a jump everytime the plane takes off so at least your honest !

Seriously ... everyone here gives great advice, just maybe try something new, watch all the episodes of '24' in every series over a weekend instead of going to the DZ, break the routine abit then slip into something new. The world is full of amazing things to do. :)

I have never really thought about the risk/benefit ratio. Skydiving has just sort of become something that I do. Just a habit I guess. I usually take four to six months off a year. I ski during the winter so its not like I don't do anything else. This is more of a naggging feeling, like I should be doing something more interesting or stimulating with my time, but at the same time I feel like I just "have to do it".

buy yourself a slackline.

Some of the ideas I have had involve tracking or forward movement along with other manuvers, like burble hopping and such. (Not just "tracking" dives.)

what is burble hopping?

You know, the burble behind your body in freefall, which would be right over your back?

Flying up and over your buddy without funnelling you both is a challenge.

Once you get good at that, then try to adjust your level precisely after the hop.

Imagine 3 or 4 people doing a series of moves like that.

Two things can spice up your parachuting life. Wingsuit, very cool, lots'o fun.
Number two, try a totally different angle....get a BASE rig. It will take a very long time to get bored with that!B|

I am in year 16 of skydiving and a couple of years ago I got down on it. Was tired of the same shit etc.... Got A BASE rig and was excited once again. Yes, Iknow this is not skydiving but it is an inbred cousin if you will of skydiving. Then, for unknown reasons, after a year of BASE and hardly any skydiving all of a sudden I found myself really enjoying skydiving again. Now I have both to keep me happy and occupied.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it;)
SabreDave

Nice analogy, almost prophetic

I have two. I make 400 pr yr. Work 50. Rigger. Pilot. Still have a wife. On the verge of collapse 100% of the time. This is not boring.

EVER

FROM TIME TO TIME I WISH IT WAS.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

hi scrublink

I'm also bored after 20 years....of not jumping

I am getting back into it in the next couple of months and I see so many challenges and opportunities compared to when I left .....hi performance RW, freefly, very big ways, CRW, wing suits, hi performance canopies, swooping, ground launching, BASE with gear thats designed for it.

Not many other sports offer this kind of diversity, so for me its just a matter of getting competent/current again and then picking something(s) to learn.

At another time in my life I had had enough also, and left to do other things. Maybe thats what you need to do. Good luck whichever way you go

regards, Steve
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was