skydiverek

MEDICAL TESTS required in your country?

Please provide the info on medical tests required in your country, in order to be allowed to jump. In the U.S. all you have to do is to sign the statement that you are healthy, but it is not the case in other countries.

Non-US jumers - please provide the info from your countries!

We are trying to change the law here in Poland and need some encouraging examples from other countries (like ones where there is NO TESTS).

Thanks!

In the UK if you are a 1st time jumper under 40 you can self certify, otherwise you need to get a certificate signed off by a Doctor.

There is also an upper age limit (55???) on 1st time solo jumpers which can only be waived by the BPA STC if you can prove you are fit enough.

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

Yes, of course medical test here in Germany. I have been tested if generally, I am in good condition: my ears, my eyes (I wear glasses or use lenses, it's stated in my license). As I'm healthy like a horse, there were no problems: I was released to run free on the meadows... resp. into the blue skies B|

These tests were made according to requirements of our German skydiving association (DFV).

Christel

dudeist skydiver # 3105

My FAA doc had a good feel of my balls and stuck his index finger up my ass as part of my FAA Medical for the TM rating.

Before he fingered my A hole I told him, whilst eyeing a rather nice shiny pen in his top pocket " thats a nice pen, give it too me if you want touch in my Holy Place ... "

i still cherish that pen to this day, and it still works !

As a TI I have to have a Class III FAA medical certificate. Then again, if you can enter the office under your own power then you pretty much pass the Class III.[:/]

you forgot that as long as you hear him when he asks for the fee, you pass the hearing test.....
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

In the UK if you are a 1st time jumper under 40 you can self certify, otherwise you need to get a certificate signed off by a Doctor.

There is also an upper age limit (55???) on 1st time solo jumpers which can only be waived by the BPA STC if you can prove you are fit enough.

You now have to have previous parachuting experience for that to happen.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

In Australia you are required to have a Private Pilots License medical for Tandem Master actvities.

I have always thought that a CPL would be more appropriate or something involving checking heart/cardio etc. Just my thoughts though.

If you are under 40 yrs old the medical is to be done every four years, if over every two years.

As far as jumping for fun you really don't need anything apart from answering a few simple questions during the AFF or Static Line course or prior to doing a Tandem skydive.

BSBD!! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

In Italy you have to have a medical, with no exemptions (well except tandem passengers, but those are just that, passengers).
To be renewed every 2 years till you're forty, then every year.
The tests should include heart, vision, hearing and general motory functions, for first time jumpers an EEG is required as well, I suppose to test for epilepsy or seizure disorders (that was actually the first and only EEG I ever took).
I'm afraid Italy is a very bad example for what you have in mind, I suggest you look somewhere else :(

Ciao.

Vale

Edited to add that all the above is required by law, and not by the local version of the USPA, since there is no such thing in Italy anyway.

what's the point of doing medical tests every yr or two yrs or i guess even at all (for regular jumpers) Are they trying to protect yourself or others? I mean a driver's license in the US doesn't expire that often, nor they require medical tests. Do other countries require tests for their driver's licence? Maybe they should start that too.:S I'm sure it would make some of the roads safer.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

what's the point of doing medical tests every yr or two yrs or i guess even at all (for regular jumpers) Are they trying to protect yourself or others? I mean a driver's license in the US doesn't expire that often, nor they require medical tests. Do other countries require tests for their driver's licence? Maybe they should start that too.:S I'm sure it would make some of the roads safer.

In Italy, they do (require tests for a driver's license, that is). Just not that often (every 10 years till you're 60).

Vale

though bear in mind if you visit a doctor because you had a seizure, or fainted, they may be required to report this to the DMV.

They are required in Texas to report it to the DMV but I do not know how specific the requirements are, I had 2 within 5 hrs of each other, the doctor didn't have to report it, but told me if I had anymore he would have to report ME!!!:| Thank God I've never had another one.

Romania: 1 test at every 2 years
analyse
-Blood analyse
-urine analyse
tests
-eyes
-ears
-heart (EKG)
-motion (mobility)
-psychological test
verifying
-height
-weight

After it to get or to extend the license validity we have to pass 3 exams - 1 exam at 2 year
1.physic
-1000 or 3000m runing (in time)
-100m sprint running
- 50-60 push-ups ;)
- 10 pull-ups
- 2m standing long jump

2 write exam
10 questions - about canopy/container/reserve characterstics
20 questions - about emergency procedures
10 - meteorology
10 - laws
minm 75% at each section to pass the exam

3. in air exam
-2 jumps to get curent... the instructor look at a good exit in relative wind, landing, etc

I think Romania is not the best exemple for the NO TESTS ideea;)

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

After it to get or to extend the license validity we have to pass 3 exams - 1 exam at 2 year
1.physic
-1000 or 3000m runing (in time)
-100m sprint running
- 50-60 push-ups ;)
- 10 pull-ups
- 2m standing long jump

what a worthless set of benchmarks. Replace the 100m with a 30m and maybe it's valid. Pullups vaguely have value. The rest are irrelevent.

What interest is being suported by this testing suite anyway? How much do you pay for this?

In Poland you are not allowed to jump (even fun jump) without medical tests here (as a Polish citizen). They used to be very strict (10 different doctors to visit in often remote clinic in a different city: dentist, family doctor, orthopedist, neurologist, cardiologist, ear-nose-throat doctor, psychologist, and some others. Even gynekologist for women!). In addition, you had to have EKG, EEG, urine and blood tests on you. If passed, the medical permission to jump lasted only 6 months, so you had to do it all over again after half a year... If you didn't pass, you were not allowed to jump...

Now it is slightly better (after joining EU) - only one doctor to visit (who comes to the DZ), and you are cleared to jump for 2 - 5 years (depends on your age). But we still envy Americans (and some other nations) who have no medical tests at all!

It still sucks, since you are responsible only for yourself (fun jumping). On the other hand, there was no medical tests to drive a car here when I checked few years ago, where you are moving a 1 ton bullet thru the crowded streets, inches from other people :S...