2k2f4i

New rig for beginner

I am currently taking my AFF course now, but I want to buy a chute.. What is the right size for a beginner.. I am 5'11 and weigh 165-170 lbs.. Would a 170 be a good size.. I see allot of them on ebay and in the "classifieds" here..

Thanks!
John

Before you get jumped on, both for calling it a 'chute' and wanting to buy a rig off of eBay, I'll give you my beginner advice..

Talk to your instructors! They'll be able to tell you where to start off, what kind of rig to get, what size etc. Noone will be able to tell you but them, as they will see what you can handle during instruction.

Canopy, canopy, canopy.. never a 'chute'! B|

Advice which will no doubt be repeated to you...

Wait until after you have your license to think about gear. You'll have a better idea what you want, and your instructors can better advise you as to canopy types and sizes.

Also, you may want to read this page, written by our very own skybytch.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Your local instructors and coaches can best answer what is the correct size for you, because they understand your level of fitness, how gracefully you land, etc.
Also be sure to consult your local rigger. For example, there is not much point in buying model "A" if he dislikes it.
Definitely have the equipment inspected by a rigger that you trust before money changes hands. Some of the larger dealers - like Square One - do this on a regular basis and provide detailed inspection sheets on second-hand parachutes.
Other wise, ask your local rigger to act as a neutral broker. Typically, the rigger holds your check for 10 days or so while he inspects, repairs and repacks your "new" equipment. Once everyone agrees that it is a reasonable deal, then he mails the check to the old seller. Many drop zone owners offer a similar service.

Ask your instructors... no one on here will be able to give you advice that would be beneficial. No one has seen you skydive. Height and Weight are only a part of the equation when deciding gear. There are other variables that must be taken into consideration that only your instructors will be able to answer for you.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

>What is the right size for a beginner..

The right size is the size that works for you. It varies from person to person. A good rule of thumb is to never buy anything that you haven't jumped a few times and can land well. So if, by the time you are buying gear, you have put 10 jumps on a Pilot 188 (and landed it OK) and 1 jump on a Sabre-2 150 (and been scared by it) a 190 might be a good choice.

But there's no way to know that right now; you are still using student gear.

I started jumping in 2002 and fell in love with it. I was at the wind tunnel all the time and jumping as much as I could. Quickly downsized to a 170 within a short period of time and found myself attempting a hook turn which consequently had me bouncing off the ground with 3 broken vertebrae.

.....that was almost 1 1/2 years ago. And, I have not returned. I really want to, but still afraid.

My point is that you should consider getting something alot less aggresive than everyone seems to fly these days. And, don't be a bonehead like I was and try things you shouldn't be trying.

PcCoder.net