MagicGuy

Did You Ever Second Guess Yourself?

I'm sure there are a lot of you out there, but let me share my story with you.

I have always wanted to skydive. Back when I was a kid, the first time I saw skydiving, which I believe was in the X-Games or something similar, I always said that I wanted to do it. It all goes back to wanting to fly, and to me, skydiving is the closest you can get (in this day and time, anyways) to actual human flight.

My best friend Matt and I, who also wants to be a skydiver, had been talking about making a tandem jump for at least a year, and finally last August, we both got together the cash and the balls to make the jump. While the first jump was a bit overwhelming, I had an absolute blast. Since that day I have been on these forums, reading all that I can, absorbing everything, and looking forward to starting AFF once weather permits. I think about skydiving each and every day, multiple times a day!! And I have had dozens of skydiving related dreams to go along with it.

When I look up at the blue sky, all I can think about is being up there, completely free from the stresses and worries that make up every day life. As much as I know I want to do this, sometimes a little bit of reality (or paranoia, I suppose) starts to set in.

I'll get these feelings like I won't be able to do it, and think to myself "Am I crazy?". I mean, sure anyone can make a tandem. Your instructor is in control of all the hard stuff, while the student gets to do all the fun stuff and just enjoy the experience. But being in control of my own gear? Controlling my own canopy all the way back into the DZ? What if I panic?

My biggest concern is getting back to the DZ. Freefall doesn't scare me at all, that's the fun part. But once that canopy is above your head, it just seems like it'd be pretty tough to be in control and steer myself back onto the DZ.

I've never had any kind of training, so for all I know, controlling the canopy is the easy part. In my mind, I WANT to do this, and I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't skydive. But that little voice also starts talking, albeit softly, telling me that I am crazy for wanting to go through with this.

So, the question is, do I make another tandem first? Do I just jump right to AFF? Or do I just say fuck it all together? Any advice, stories, etc are greatly appreciated!

Thanks all..

I made three tandems before I with through with it. The second tandem was tough, but I still wanted to do it again so I went up the same day and when I landed from the third tandem I knew I had to keep jumping and I knew I wanted to be able to experiance for myself by myself.
if fun were easy it wouldn't be worth having, right?

Stop thinking about it and jump. call today and sign up for the class. so what if it's cold. if you want it that bad then do it.

What is holding you back? don't say weather. not everyday is bad!

I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just saying that if you really want to do it then do it.;) I think that too many people are afraid to try the things that they reall want to do.

I did my first tandem 3 FREAKIN YEARS before I finally got off my lazy (scared) ass and went through the AFF. Not to mention 4 other tandems. And for the same reason. Your instructors will make sure you are ok. JUST MAKE SURE YOU DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU!!!

Not get off your ass and join us in the air!!!!! ;)

Or else before you know it you are like me, dreaming and talking about it all the time and doing nothing but wasting valuable time you could be jumping, making excuses. If you want it, GO FOR IT!!

Blue skies and good luck B|

"I love 'lamp'."
-SKYMAMA

Everyone has to go thru a certain thought process and each one is different. Some folks say they want to skydive and sign up for the course, make one AFF or S/L and walk away forever. Others have done two or three jumps [whichever method], walkaway for a little while and come back, some sign up for the whole program - go thru it and walk away, while others jump in and stay.

You're looking at the sky, having dreams, are expressing the desire, but no one can really tell you what's right for you. There are risks from walking to the airplane, riding to altitude, exiting, freefall, being under canopy and landing... you've signed a waiver so you know what they are. We really can't tell you what to do, but we can support whatever decision you make. Skydiving is and has to be a personal decision. Go with your gut.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

My first jump ever I was so scared of chickening out, I really wasn't afraid of anything else going on.

My second jump a month later I distinctly remember sitting in the plane thinking, "Why am I doing this? I don't have to do this." on the ride up to altitude. I thought that a few more times during student training too, actually a lot of times.

This is my way how I got to know how nice skydiving is:

My mother used to be a glider pilot from her age of 14 and I was very early infected by the fascination of flight.

I tried glider flying, paraglider and hot air balloons but there was still something I was missing. I did not know what is was - there was just something that was missing.

I never did a tandem due to the reason that I never liked that someone else but me is in charge for the flight. So My first jump was a Level1 without booking the whole course.
A funny thing: The reason I started skydiving had nothing to do with my desire to fly. I just searched for an other "kick" like I got to know when Bungee jumping.

After my Level 1 I noticed that this was not the "kick"-game I expected. I knew I liked it but still did not know if this was my sport. So I signed up for the course just to get to know the sport.

In Level 2 when I did turns for the first time there was a huge switch that was turned. I noticed I was able to steer my body in the air and still in freefall I felt that this was the "flying thing" I always searched for.
Back on the ground I noticed there was nothing missing when flying a glider, a paraglider or a balloon - there was something to much: the aircraft around me!

So for my experience: Just try it and find out what it is - you'll have no control of how you feel about it. Try it and I am very positive about you liking it!

And to answer your questin: I never second guessed myself! :)
Enjoy!
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

I second guess myself every time I get in that door... then my mind steps in and reminds me why I'm up there in the first place... Don't put it off any longer than it takes to get the money together and take your FJC and make your first jump. Controlling your own canopy is the easy part... your instructor will be on the radio with you the whole way down, just follow his/her instructions and enjoy the freedom of soaring like an eagle.....
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

Trust your instructors, trust your training, and TRUST YOURSELF! Your instructors won't put you up if they don't think you can do it, and you won't go to the plane if you don't think you can do it.
Be safe and have fun:)
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

My dad was a private pilot and I grew up around the airport. I've always loved being in the air. I did a tandem in Mexico in '01 while on vacation. Thought I could mark it off my list of things to do. A couple of years later, I found out a co worker just got his A license and thought it might be fun to do the same. But I didn't act on it and it wasn't until we hired someone new at work that happened to be a skydiver that I finally started making calls. Once I decided I was going to do it, I paid for the whole program upfront and off I went.

If you decide to go for it (I vote yes, but I'm biased;)), just pay attention to your instructors on the ground, in the air and under canopy.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

The masses of men shall lead lives of quiet desperation.

The second guessing you describe is exactly why most of us started jumping in the first place.
Any of us who doesn't admit they were scared is either a liar or stupid. Being afraid of the unknown is natural. However, allowing that fear to dictate how we lead our lives is habit forming. Most people will never overcome their fears and fall lock step into the masses without even knowing it only to realize it when it's too late. They will lead their lives carefully and cautiously only to arrive safely at death.

A handful of us will face those fears head on and will forever have a deep seeded sense of satisfaction because of it. We concentrate less on filling our life with years and more on fillng our years with life.
Some of the best times of my life have been at the drop zone.

Whenever faced with your kind of dilemma I've always tried to remember this:
I'd rather be sorry for something I did..... than to be sorry for something I didn't do........

I wish you good luck with your struggle and regardless of your decision I hope your life is full of BLUE SKIES.
Sandy
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

You're talking to skydivers. You're going to get biased responses ;)

As with others, there were a good few times I'd go up and sit in the plane thinking "why am I doing this?... ok I'm here, I'll jump, but this will be the last one"... of course it never was.

My biggest concern is getting back to the DZ. But once that canopy is above your head, it just seems like it'd be pretty tough to be in control and steer myself back onto the DZ.

You will learn about steering in FJC but it may be an idea to take another tandem but explain to the TI your concerns and ask him if you can steer a bit... you'll see it's really not that difficult to get back to the DZ, while having the reassurance he will take over if necessary. btw it's not the end of the world if you don't make it back to the DZ either, you'll be briefed on outlandings in FJC too.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I really appreciate all of the replies. I knew I wasn't the only one that was scared, but it's still reassuring to hear the stories.

I just found out that Jumptown is open on weekends now, and they have an AFF course starting on March 24th. I'm going to see if it's possible, if not, I'm signing up for the next one.

Thanks again everyone.

I was talking to a hangliding instructor a couple days ago. They used to advertise tandem hanglider rides but have since stopped doing so. They offer the rides but advertise a first lesson instead.

The student return from tandems was practically none. The students swore up and down it was the coolest thing ever and they would be back but it didn't happen. When the student would take a first flight course, the rate of return was very high.

The reason behind it is the fact the student finds out from the very beginning he/she can do it themselves. Confidence sets in and that next level seems more in reach than ever before.

You've already done a tandem. You're second guessing yourself because you SORTOF know what to expect. The difference is you didn't have a bit of responsibility except try not to throw up. If you remember to arch... cool.. if you didn't... oh well.

If you are sure you want to be a skydiver, I'd recommend just going for the AFF. Hands on does wonders.

There are tandem progressions where you do something like 3 working tandems and then move on to freefall with your own rig, but that's more hands on than just a ride. You actually go through a course to learn the steps required to move on to the next step... and so on.

Tandems are great but you've already done the ride... get on with it.

Good luck!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Since that day I have been on these forums, reading all that I can, absorbing everything, and looking forward to starting AFF once weather permits. I think about skydiving each and every day, multiple times a day!! And I have had dozens of skydiving related dreams to go along with it.

When I look up at the blue sky, all I can think about is being up there, completely free from the stresses and worries that make up every day life.

Yup, you’re hooked!

Listen to your instructors, they will, ummmm, SHOULD teach you everything you need to know to handle situations...

One important thing, listen to your instructors... And while you are doing that, pay attention.

Did I mention listening to your instructors?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Hey Corey,

I am actually doing my AFF right now and I have had one of the most amazing experiences of my life so far. I only have a few more days left and I am working on my consols now.

All I can say is do it. If it is making you hungry for it go for it. I was just like you obsessing day in, day out after my tandem about skydiving. I also knew that I had to do something about it now before I was some old granny sat in a chair at 70 wishing I did the one thing that made me feel so alive.... SKYDIVING.

I have had some real tough times on this course my sticker being just my turns (but that is another story altogether). Anyhows I have stuck at it and not let my thirst for being a skydiver be dampened by my own HEAD thinking too much about all the other shite that comes with this game. I have cracked it now because I had made my mind up that I am going to do this no matter what.

Belive me I have just wanted to bawl my eyes out at times but then when I am back in freefall and the cobwebs are flying away it is soooo much better and I am so much stronger.

On my level one I lost my radio (or had blocked ears) and had to land myself. My ground school was brilliant enough to make me just do what I had to do and that was land on my own under canopy (which I did with the perfect PLF and landing pattern) and I got up and got straight on the next load. COME ON!!!! I had crapped myself about the canopy flight more than the freefall like you and hell I puilled it off! That was not so bad after all.

I am glad that I was alone for that first landing in some ways as it proved to me that I could cope and that I had taken everything in as you should. These guys will not let you in the air until they KNOW you can do it.

It sounds like to me that you have the spirit in you. Go with it brother and enjoy!

And no don't do another tandem and have another taxi ride. Crack on with the AFF. You know what freefall is about and now you can start working and put that money towards beng a real skydiver. This is expensive business and if you know you want to do it get on with it.

Good luck Corey and trust yourself. x

Edit to add:- And the unstable exit is THE BEST THING EVER - so far! I did a roll out the door and I was shitting myself before (like, oh my god can I do it?) and when I was doing it seeing plane, cloud, plane, cloud, plane cloud....ARCH!!! I was on top of the world. This is what it is all about! This is a head F*@K and that is why I am here!:):S:)