PRSKY71

Level 1 AFF done . . .

Wow, I did a tandem first a month ago and could not contain my excitement beyond one month to start AFF. Well, last Saturday I went through the ground instruction and all -- by the end all the emergency procedure talk/instruction I was pretty much in a sheer panic.

Went up about 4 -4:30 p.m., tired and REALLY scared. My jump instructors were GREAT, but I just could not calm down. Well, the first thing I remember was hesitating on the way out. We had to do the "check in" bit twice but did go out -- OMG -- simply sheer panic for the first few seconds. I got video and I was kicking up a storm (although never actually went off arch completely)!!! Finally got stable and everything else went good, I actually remember enjoying the incredible view in between tasks (circle of awareness and practice pulls). I pulled at 5k and thank God I had a great opening -- not too hard and no line twists or any of the other horrible failures/things that can go wrong!

I had a radio which is good 'cause I totally forgot to plan a landing/holding pattern at first. Well I kept looking at my altimeter and maneuvering the chute very well but when it came down to a full flare before landing I simply could not pull the toggles all the way down. I keep thinking it has to be lack of upper body strength so I've started push ups and such before my levels 2&3.

Overall, my instructor said I did very well and I did pass the level, but I worry about the flaring thing and kicking thing for my next jump. Any thoughts or advise? Thanks!! :)
Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process. -- Phillips Brooks

Congratulations on your first AFF jump!!

I'll be the first of many to say it so here goes... RELAX!
That's all it takes, just relax and enjoy the ride, oh don't forget to do your tasks too... :D
If your instructors are anything like the one I work with at Clewiston they'll be more concerned that you relax and pull on time more than anything else.
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...