Skycaroline

New Ryanair Baggage Allowance

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/inpage.php?partner=BAGGAGE

You can take 5kg extra in the hold now (total 20kg)... but they charge for ALL checked in luggage. Only £2.50 / 3.50euro though... same for every 4kg after that. At least that's the way I read it.

10kg hand luggage goes free.

C.

They are real sticklers about it too! When my bf and I went to Europe last year, the bags that were under the weight limit with American where over the limit at Ryan and it cost us $300 extra dollars! :S It's definitely our fault for not reading the small print. Lesson learned!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/inpage.php?partner=BAGGAGE

You can take 5kg extra in the hold now (total 20kg)... but they charge for ALL checked in luggage. Only £2.50 / 3.50euro though... same for every 4kg after that. At least that's the way I read it.

Its £2.50 per bag thats checked in and £5.50 (8euro) per kilo over 20kg - ouch!!! [:/]

Gavin

Gavin

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If you don't take it out and use it, its going to rust.

I was surprised to see last week that on a flight from Toronto to Seattle, Air Canada actually weighed my carry-on bag at check-in and made me check it because it was over 10 kg (22 lbs). The bag size was perfectly legal (and it's the one that I use to carry my rig on, though I only had clothes in it this time). They called this a "security" measure, even though I was able to carry the exact same bag in from the US to Canada.

If this is a consistent practice (and not just something they were enforcing because flights were bursting at the seams last week), it means I won't be able to carry my rig on with them.

Anyone know if this is an Air Canada thing or a Canadian regulation?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It seems that they really only want people to take carry-on lugage.... could make turn arounds fasterf and they probably pay less for baggage handling facikities too...... but people will be fighting for overhead locker space.

Also,....when will they start weighing the peeps? About time the bloaters got charged extra:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Soon you'll have to pay extra if you want padding on your seat. :S

The day that happens i'll put the rig on and get comfotable in he aise. That, and god knows what other corners they're cutting...fuel? :P

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Soon you'll have to pay extra if you want padding on your seat. :S

The day that happens i'll put the rig on and get comfotable in he aise. That, and god knows what other corners they're cutting...fuel? :P

This summer, a pilot for one of the US-based airlines was going through AFF at the DZ I go to. One day
we got to talking about the financial conditions of the various airlines. I said that even though the one she
worked for had done some layoffs and things, I thought they'd probably make it through OK; she agreed.
Then I said, "I've got to tell you, though, I am a little worried about their maintenance practices." She got
this horrified look and asked "Why? Have you seen or heard something, or...?" "Well, the pilots are coming
to parachute school - you tell me!" She laughed and assured me that if she ever felt she needed to take a
rig to work, that would be a sign to look for work elsewhere.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

This comes on the heels on a news story yesterday of some airline (Northwest) thinking about charging extra for aisle and emergency exit row seats... Soon you'll have to pay extra if you want padding on your seat. :S

Seats? I've been in planes where I had to sit on the floor:o

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This comes on the heels on a news story yesterday of some airline (Northwest) thinking about charging extra for aisle and emergency exit row seats... Soon you'll have to pay extra if you want padding on your seat. :S

Seats? I've been in planes where I had to sit on the floor:o

It's those low-budget flights... only on the weekend, $20.... ;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Have just experienced both parts of their new rules first-hand.

Obviously taking a rig (at least my rig) as carry-on is no longer possible. But it plus the pack I sealed it in were 16kgs without the rest of my stuff!

So there I was, cramming jumpsuits and helmets and whatever else into my carry-on, which fortunately had velcro extendy-straps so I could fit a lot in. Still, pretty damn unhappy at this point, I went through security and got to the departure lounge.

Of course, it's not just skydivers who routinely carry more than 15kg of stuff in their checkin baggage. Everyone is suddenly toting big carry-on bags.

So, as people are getting on the plane, we discover that on a full flight, there is simply no way there is room for this sudden influx of huge bags (even though they're 10kgs or (theoretically) less. The overhead bins fill up, and the poor bastards who get on later are left wandering around looking in random bins for space while the staff (who know there isn't any) hassle them to sit down because the plane needs to take off.

Oh, and their checkin staff can be pretty seriously unhelpful.

I won't fly Ryanair any more.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

F*ck. I forgot about the fact their carry on weight is going down. That's a pain in the arse. Will need to insure the rig with HB again. Sh*t.

Anyone know whether a main, reserve and cypres count as 3 indiviudal items within one bag 'container' for insurance purposes? I can just imagine insurers going 'yeah right' as i explain each item was worth £600...as was the 'bag' they were in! LOL.

Can you not just give the rig to a mate, check the rest, go away from checkin and take the rig back...and off through customs/security and onto the plane? It looks small and last time i looked nobody was weighing stuff apart from at checkin?

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com