SSGJOHNSON

How many jumps does it take?

The start of my AFF program has been delayed until sunday. My question is how many jumps does it take to complete the AFF I know the brochure says 7-8 but how many does it normanlly take. The reason I asked is because im trying to get a loan and pay the whole thing up front instead of waiting to get the money for each and every jump.

I know ill go to heaven because ive spent my time in Hell.

Well, I did it in 7. I know a few people that have so it can easily be done. I feel if I can, almost anybody can :P. But I also know a few that took an extra 1 or 2 jumps to finish. I think the average is about 7-8 but thats me in my limited knowledge.

By the way good luck to you and welcome to our wonderful sport!!!;)

"I love 'lamp'."
-SKYMAMA

It'll take as many as it takes :)
Help yourself as much as possible by trying to jump as frequently as possible... the students that I find have the hardest time are those who only come out once a month - they are more nervous and less likely to achieve their goals than those who get a couple of jumps a day and come out every weekend. Practice lots at home and spend some time each day visualising each dive... it's free practice!! B|

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

for aff it takes at least 8 for your levels( depending on doing everything right first time) and 10 consolidation jumps, i was really bad at some of my levels and am on 15 AFF jumps(started on static line) and 7 more to go before i fully complete and get my A licience
LittleDJ!!- There is no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft!!!

You really have to call the DZ to find out, since as someone else mentioned, you will need to pay for coach jumps, packing class, USPA membership, DZ (club) dues, transp., beer, etc.
You should probably think about investing on a altimeter, goggles and a helmet
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

Having & keeping all the money for AFF set aside and available is one thing. Paying it all up front is another. You need to be cautious. Some people might counsel you to pay one jump at a time. Yes, there may be a discount if you pay everything up front. But if you make, say, 2 or 3 jumps and then decide to quit (or if the DZ closes for whatever reason), you might have trouble getting a refund on the unused jumps. Or you might have a long layoff between jumps and the DZ says you have to start from scratch again due to uncurrency, and they might insist you pay more money to complete a full AFF program. So read the fine print and know in advance what you're getting into.

Also don't think about the money or having to repeat a jump during the AFF course, just try and RELAX as much as you can.

There is no such thing as a fail, just a repeat!!

I have found that students who relax into their arch in freefall (one example) are much better than those that worry about a lot of little things and really strain to get into the right position during their jump.

Skydiving is supposed to be a fun activity - learn as much as you can and never stop learning!!

As far as paying up front I would also be wary - if you are not losing much by paying per jump I would be going that way also.

BSBD!! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

It took me 9 jumps. After I failed lvl 3 twice I was re-evaluating my decision to become a skydiver. Then I found out that it is very common for people to have to repeat a level and someone told me of a woman who finally passed after 38 or so jumps.

JAMES

Quitting jumping just because you repeat a level a couple times is nuts. Under the current AFF system, too many students think there's something wrong with them if they don't finish AFF in about 8 jumps. I learned on static line progression (AFF didn't exist yet). Starting at hop & pops, we would increase our freefall time by 5 second increments, doing 2 or 3 jumps at each level, before moving on to the next level, up to 30 seconds. Stability first, then at 30 seconds, start working on maneuvers. Repeating levels due to instability was VERY common. Rarely were we self-supervised until we were solidly on 30 second delays, usually around 20 - 25 jumps minimum.
If all of us had quit jumping after a few repeated levels, there'd have been no skydivers left to breed the rest of you.
I know AFF jumps are expensive, but be patient. Take the time to learn and let it sink in. The sky will always be waiting for you.

PS I agree 100% that a student does not "fail" a level; he simply has to repeat it in order to better master it. I wish to hell I could get AFF students to take the phrase "failed a level" out of their vocabulary.

Took me 10 months and 11 jumps to pass all the AFF levels! I quit the RAPS static-line method as it was 'taking too long'!:S AFF took so long mostly due to shitty UK weather and my availability. Do it as quickly as you are able. I would recommend booking a couple of days off work and nailing it over a long weekend. If I'd been current I doubt I would have made as many repeats. Also get all you consols and whatever else USPA requires you to do for an A-license as soon as you can. Some places will make you repeat level7 if you leave it too long between consols.
Most of all, enjoy it!!

As you see...many people repeat levels...I repeated my cat A and another friend almost got the nickname "legs" she repeated one level so many times. Relax and practice your arch on the ground. Practice your dive flow on the ride up...people won't mind you waving your arms about and it'll help you nail it when the show starts.

Good luck!

Pay for packing class? Dues? Where are you guys jumping? Go to a small Cessna DZ and every jump will be a (free) coach jump and NOBODY would ever charge to teach you to pack!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Hi, I did my AFF in Spain as it's cheaper than in the UK.It's worth noting that I found the prices a bit cheaper in the winter months so shop around if you're not committed.
I completed my Aff in 2 days with a repeat level 5.
Just in cae you aren't aware,you have to pay for repeats, or at least I did.

The best advice I can give you is try to complete your AFF in the space of a few days.
Before I knew it I had cracked Level 7, ( Unstable Exit,stability,heading and alti check.5 second track,a 360 or two if there was time.)
My instructors wanted to see that I was in control, alti aware and able to deploy a canopy and land.
My instructors are always telling me to relax and that for me is the key.
Don't try too hard,don't put yourself under presure and relax.

The first 12 months are the most expensive.

Go For It, be safe and have fun.:)
Fly Like Zie Eagle, Not Like Zie Chicken !
Good advice from an instructor I know.

I beat you! 13! Unlucky for some but not for me!

Seriously RELAX.....and it will happen, but it easier said than done when you are hurtling towards mother earth at 120mph. I made my hand bleed (I had an old cut which had nearly healed) on one jump my body was so tense clawing at the air as I was falling! As if there is anything to hold onto, duh!

Finally it just came together and I was'nt rocking around in the air getting all freaked and I seemed to fall...with some style at last! Probably something to do with just being familiar in that enviroment and the more air time you have the more confident you become.

It does not matter how many goes it takes, unless you simply cannot afford to continue, but what does matter if you really want to do it and you hit the "wall", push through and keep going, it is so worth it in the end when you do your first real skydive.

:)

Took me 10 jumps and a few minutes in the tunnel, if you have a good tunnel near by it can be a great head start. For me I didn't have to worry about anything but flying my body and it definetly paid off after failing the same level twice.

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "