L.O.

Bummer at Chicago

for weeks I have had plans with my new 4-way team (Wissota shockers) to make it down to Skydive Chicagos opening weekend. We did it, we made the 6 hour drive, we booked the hotel, we were at the DZ before anyone else. one of our team members was sick but we had a sub on hand. We made the first load and the dive went well. we were the first to jump and the spot was way short so we landed off. Things were great until I saw the airplane land and he was not able to use his steering. the Otter had no steering accuator. The weekend was over. No spare parts, no way to use it. The weather was without flaw ( for the upper mid-west). Light winds, blue skies, nice temps all just right.

I just wanted to cry and vent a little. I have never seen this exact same thing happen before and I understand that is was no ones fault. I have seen every problem under the sun for a Cessna but not a DHC-6, I thought they were indestructible.

Anyone else have a great weekend of jumping? I am a snivelling bitch. I shouldn't complain, I already have 50+ skydives this year. Life is good, I just hate it when I am the recipient of the random freak occurrence.

The staff was great and they tryed to do what they could. But what a bummer.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Well, the fuel mixture cable (I think that's what it's called) on the Cessna was messed up on Saturday, but they fixed it and put up 8 loads on sunday. I left ~11 because the place was dead, but I guess some people showed up later.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Hey I had a brand new rig assembled last week. We had 10" of rainfall at the DZ this past weekend. So the Gods were obviously being capricious. :( It sucks almost as much as a pretty weather day and no airplanes!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I just wanted to cry and vent a little. I have never seen this exact same thing happen before and I understand that is was no ones fault. I have seen every problem under the sun for a Cessna but not a DHC-6, I thought they were indestructible.

Sad story, but it could have been far worse.

There was an accident in Idaho several years ago (probably 2003-04) when a DHC-6 lost the steering cable and veered off the runway. It wasn't a skydiving airplane, but the same thing can happen to our airplanes. That accident, and the proximity that jumpers have to an active runway, prompted me to write a feature for the S&TA area of The Ranch web site, available as Article 5 "Keeping Clear of the Runway" at http://theblueskyranch.com/STA.php.

It's worth thinking about this kind of potential accident as the season kicks off in the northeastern United States. I'm super happy to hear that the story in Chicago ended in a few annoyed jumpers and nothing worse!
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Well, the fuel mixture cable (I think that's what it's called) on the Cessna was messed up on Saturday, but they fixed it and put up 8 loads on sunday. I left ~11 because the place was dead, but I guess some people showed up later.

I was on loads 1 and 2. It was very pleasant, cool but not cold, light winds.

Thought of a cool C182 event: 4-way speed.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It was still a good time we met a lot of good people. I love Skydive Chicago even if we didn't get the jumps we wanted to. We went and saw V is for vendetta. Good movie good friends, diner after was good we went down town Ott. to an Italian place. Got home early Sunday cleaned the house got things done. Much more productive weekend then if we had made a lot of jumps I guess. Still a bummer.
AFB, charter member.

Hey Reginald

Sorry about all the rain. We had two lousy weather weekends here in Waller, TX

I have a PD demo canopy and haven't been able to jump it but I have to give kudos to Kim at PD she said I can have it another weekend.

This weekend promises to be much better in Texas

Yahoo, Can't wait to jump it.

Chris
Skydive Houston

I have ten times more jumps then any of the rest of the team but you talk party and these guys (and 1 girl) speak the language, wow. You will see us more this year then last, for sure. I am a working skydiver and have to be at home most of the time. It's awesome that Baldwin gets the Otter early this year. Maybe some of your jumpers will get out of the house before June.:P.

We saw a lot of SDTCs jumpers this year, so there isn't so much rust to be cut lose this spring.
WE WILL se ya soon
AFB, charter member.

The Shockers are a bunch of yahoo's. Crazy punks are addicted to 182's.;)

Yes, Yay-Hoos

And - Neon Orange juices on video.

Todd - Are you going to get a matching jumpsuit then?
You guys should all be coming to the tunnel with us next week. Not making futile drives to Chicago during snowstorm season.......

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I have ten times more jumps then any of the rest of the team but you talk party and these guys (and 1 girl) ....

Monique = Woman. Not 'girl'. :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hey Bill, we have been trying to get to the tunnel. None of us have had the time, it's just been a tough winter. I already have the jumpsiute. It just sucks that all my rigs are Gang Green colors.

We haven't seen you this winter. I talked to your wife and she said you worked a lot, so I'll forgive.

I even brought my fury to the helicopter boogie at Joe's. I hoped for some CReW

Mo is a woman but the girl thing works from time to time B|.
AFB, charter member.

I took the whole winter off from skydiving to spend more time with my daughter. It's a good thing.

Plus, we're committing to some pretty hard training this year so the time was well invested. Hoping the weather cooperates.

If the shockers need an objective eye during training, just speak up. I've been up with 2 of your teammates and know just where they are and what should come next. There is some serious raw talent there if they just throttle back a bit to get the whole "precision first, then speed and power last" thing going on.

It always sucks to be Gang Green colors :P