larmstr

Calculating Free Fall time

How do I estimate my Free Fall time? I want a uncomlicated formula. Got a head ache looking at some of them on here.

A general rule of thumb (for belly-to-earth jumps) is 10 secs for the first thousand feet, and 5 secs for every thousand feet thereafter.

I've never seen anyone check signitures while getting ratings.

Funny story (to me) about log books and signitures.

I show up to Rantoul last year without a logbook. They said you can't come in. I said, "look right here, I'm on the vendor list". They said, "how can you not have a log book. There is no way for us to verify you are current or have the number of jumps you have."

After talking with someone in charge of regestration, they let me in. I asked him what a log book actually tell them. I said "I can go out in the parking lot and write 1400 jumps on a piece of paper and have someone I know sign it, would that help? Does it really prove anything?"

He said "no, we just need it for waivers to release us, put it actually proves nothing."

I would love to keep and accurate log, but one I know I would never keep up and two, knowing that it seems like a horrible waste of paper. Never stopped me from getting a rating.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

At both the AFF/I & TI course, the CD's went thru my logbooks - even with the Gold Wings badge in the book.

The first section of each rating in the IRM specifies the requirements for attendance (i.e., 500 RAM air jumps, six hours of freefall time, etc.) It may be CD specific, but I was told in the pre-course for both to make sure everything was signed and those CD's did check.

It's better to have it and not need it; than not have it and need it.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

It's better to have it and not need it; than not have it and need it.

Absolutely. But it's still far from concrete. Once you have the jumps and time, I dont think you will have a problem.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I am very friendly with my IE and he knew me fairly well before we got started with my rating so maybe my experience was different than most.

When I sent in for my gold wings the ND who signed the form said he didnt need to see my log book. He was also the DZO, and told me he knew I'd done well over 1,000 because he'd looked up my account history.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

A general rule of thumb (for belly-to-earth jumps) is 10 secs for the first thousand feet, and 5 secs for every thousand feet thereafter.

Not with a wingsuit. ;)

That would be the "middle finger" exception to the above (and reliable) rule of thumb. If the guy has 20 min. of freefall he's not likely to be wingsuitin' it yet, just to keep things on the real side of the planet.....

Be safe
Ed

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

to get freefall time.. once you jump out, start, "one one thousndn, two one thousand, three one thousand... in my case, 1 e and a . 2 e and a. ... no, really i just use my neptune, but i'm not sure how accurate it actually is.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

If the guy has 20 min. of freefall he's not likely to be wingsuitin' it yet, just to keep things on the real side of the planet.....

Ditto Tbrown...

My car (STOCK) goes from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds.

Wingsuit says..I have a turbo.... stay with the post bro