redramdriver

Club bylaws....

Is there any one on here that posts regularly, who is a member of a active skydiving club (Like Frontier), who would be willing to share with me a copy of their bylaws? I am trying to write some bylaws for a club, and am searching for a place to begin. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks...blue skies, Mark
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

There is a sample set of bylaws in Robert Rules of Order, 10th edition.
There is an entire chapter on bylaws.
Your library should have a copy. Get the real RR, not the 'dummy' books.
Also the introduction is a great read on the purpose of parlimentarian law.

CPI is the oldest club in the US. You might ask them.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

An older version is freely available via the Gutenberg Project.

In the US, public libraries let you use books for free for weeks at a time.

There are significant differences between the 1911 version that is available in several places on the web and the 10th edition. You can also get it dirt cheap at a used book store. The introduction to the 10th edition also includes a historical look at the different editions.

RR is one of the most unexpected fascinating books that I have read (and reread on flights to/from USPA BOD mtgs) At first it was really dry and boring - mainly because I did not understand all the terms. But once you get over that hump and see the rules in action at meetings, the rules make perfect sense.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

CPI is the oldest club in the US. You might ask them.

Off the subject, but CPI's website says they have been around since 1962. LSPC has been in continuous operation since 1959. I think there are a couple other dz's out there that have been in continuous operation since 1957 but I can't recall which ones they are right off hand.

As to the original poster, if you pm me an email address I'll see if I can send you a copy of LSPC's bylaws and SOP's. I know of at least one other club (the Couchfreaks) that used our bylaws to get started.

-Dave

Skydive Radio

I am not a lawyer or accountant and this is not legal or tax advice.

It's not skydiving-specific, but I'm pretty sure that 501(c)(3) charities and/or non-profit organizations
are required to have a set of bylaws. The IRS might be one place to start, as well as your state
government. If you know any local clubs that might fit this definition, you might ask them about their
bylaws. You may also want to run whatever you come up with by an attorney.

I am not a lawyer or accountant and this is not legal or tax advice.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

(edited)
14 hours ago, F1reh0lder said:

looks like I'm several years late to this party, but I'm on the same quest.

Most of the people on this thread haven't been active on the site for years. One suggestion is DiverDs was on here in November, so perhaps a private message would help: https://www.dropzone.com/profile/7330-diverds/ 

Edited by BIGUN

You could reach out to sucessful active clubs.

Jumptown in Orange MA

Connecticut Parachutists Inc. in Ellington CT

And I thought Orange VA was also a club, but I haven't jumped there in well over a decade.

What are you trying to accomplish? Stand-alone club opening at a new airport? DZO looking to sell to a group of fun jumpers?

I am looking to revive an old club. the club aspect has died. we still have a school and still have students. our season is pretty short and I would like to get everyone together in the off season, plan some events and continue to further the sport. this year a few planned a couple trips to the tunnel in Salt lake.

right now I'm just trying to gather information, put together a history who and how we started, and a registry dating back as far as we can go.

If there was a club at one point there may be existing bylaws out there? I wonder if the old club was actually registered as an official organization with the secretary of state? Is the school a for profit organization with a DZO?

Edited by DougH