psustang89

Ears

I just completed my level 1 IAF. I also have 3 tandems. On all but one of these jumps I've had issues with my ears. My hands were free on the tandems, so I could hold my nose and pop my ears. That's a little more difficult when you have toggles in your hands. Is there anything you can do during or before freefall to help this? Thanks.

Just bring both hands down evenly so you are not turning, it is not much toggle input to bring your hand to your nose.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Nasal saline spray might help as clocked ears often come through sinus problems.
Also Sudafed might help. But talk to your instructor whenever you want to take any medication prior to jumping.
M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

whenever i my ears start to get really pressurized in freefall i just simple grab my nose and pop my ears as i would any other way. it takes all of like 1 second. i'm not sure what i do with my other arm cause i've never thought about it but i never turn or anything so i must compensate some how. but yeah, just pop your ears as you would on your way to altitude. i found, atleast for me, that as i kept jumping i had less and less of an issue with ear pressure problems and now i don't have any most of the time. just keep jumping :P

On all but one of these jumps I've had issues with my ears.

I think that your best bet on good advice about clearing your ears under canopy would be to ask your instructors, but;

If you're so uncomfortable that you have to clear your ears before you land you might also want to talk to a doctor.
Owned by Remi #?

I think that your best bet on good advice about clearing your ears under canopy would be to ask your instructors, but;

If you're so uncomfortable that you have to clear your ears before you land you might also want to talk to a doctor.

Are instructors qualified to answer that question? Or do you mean how to do whatever they need to do safely?

The valsalva maneuver (pinch nose and blow) is common solution, but done too forcefully, it blows out ears. It might be effective just to do a preclear before exiting the plane, but what works for some doesn't work for others.

For me, opening my mouth at FF speeds seems to do the job pretty well.

Cut your ears off. But remember you cant just cut off the lobe you have to scoop out the meat all the way to the eardrum but be careful not to go too deep so you don’t rupture your brain...

Better yet, take slotperfect’s advice and talk to your instructors.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Talk to your instructers.. here is what i do know, found this one out yesterday...

DO NOT jump if you arestarting to feel ill. All I felt the morning was a tiny itch in my throat, so went jumpingg. well, it was yesterday that i jumped, and not until tonight that my ear finally cleared and released teh built up pressure or however it works. really, really sucked. went through eardrops, *made it worse* and flushed it with water. Not sure what finally got it to pop and clear,.. all i know is , yuck! that really was uncomfortable.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

I had really bad blocked ears on my tandem and first AFF level1, so bad infact I could not hear the radio to land (which I did obviously!) And the top of my left eye was hurting, the pressure was unbelievable!

Anyway I just found that on the ride to altitude I sort of would swallow every time I felt the pressure build up and that would pop it, and also yawning seemed to do the trick. It did not seem as drastic as pinching my nose and blowing..which for me did'nt really work.

Equalize the pressure on the way up and then when the canopy opens as you do your checks, gulp/swallow like a good un...works for me.:)

May help may not but I thought I would put my 2p's worth in.;)

I natuarlly just start yawning in the aircraft. Whether thats some reaction or its because I get bored sitting in the plane I don't know. But it works for me. I notice the biggest change during opening. Once canopys open I open my mouth to laugh to myself or whatever and i get an almighty *pop* and everything seems really loud. I think I may be holding my breath during opening without realising it. For me it is the moment I have most concern about so makes sense. I can clear my ears by just kinda tensing muscles by neck in a kind of swallow without actually swallowing technique

a. Ear equalization is "automatic" climbing to altitude (or when pressure is reduced around you).
b. Never jump with a cold. ie. congestion
c. Yawning, swallowing, or valsalva manuever during descent is appropriate.
d. Ear plugs, ear drops, etc.....do nothing to help the "clearing" of the ears.
e. Sometimes the simple act of opening your mouth during freefall for a couple seconds will provide just enough overpressure to open the eustachian tubes to equalize your ears.
f. Pain felt above the teeth or above the eye is typically a sinus block....and is....excrutiating....way worse than an ear block.

Buck