Mike111

handcam instead of Camera?

For BPA its 200 jumps and C licence to wear a camera, i think that applies to handcam but not sure. IT didn't sya as I remember.

Just wondering, if I wanted to put a handcam on, what are the dangers compred to a headcam?

Soryr if its a dumb question, its just i have very little knowledge about the dangers of it

Thanks,

Mike

I personally think 200 jumps is a great minimum jump requirement before adding a camera. A camera beyond having its own set of emergency proceedures is a large distraction. Soon after getting a camera one starts shifting focus from skydiving to making sure they are capturing it on video. Take to instructors and please be safe
Kirk

I personally think 200 jumps is a great minimum jump requirement before adding a camera. A camera beyond having its own set of emergency proceedures is a large distraction. Soon after getting a camera one starts shifting focus from skydiving to making sure they are capturing it on video. Take to instructors and please be safe
Kirk

Agreed.

I will also add to that comment that I think wearing a handcam is much more distracting and has many different risks than wearing a camera on your head. I don't think that I would want to do it on any sort of regular basis. I like having my hands relativly free to do other things.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

First of all, i am pretty sure you are going to find that handycam is illegal here in the UK. Problem solved.

I may be wrong but i remember a conversaton with my CCi and that was the result of my question.......I think

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Second of all. Handycam is going to really suck for general skydiving most of the times unless you are a tandem master and have a tandem passenger.
Doing RW you will be docking and videoing other peoples arms.
Freeflying, i imagine you are going to be trying to aim your camera over concentrating on your flying. I cant see anyway that handcam will be practical unless you are a way talented jumper with extreme talent towards videoing unless you want to video yourself eating a banana.
You may find novelty ways to use a handycam but in general jumps, i cant imagine it being anything but a distraction.

Good luck with your ambitions though.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Sorry Mike,

But you are way too junior to consider strapping on a hand cam.
For example, the Australian Parachute Federation says that tandem instructors must have done 100 tandems - plus the 500+ to earn that rating - before strapping on a hand cam.
The only way I can see a hand-cam being uselful for a solo jumper is during sit-fly.

First of all, i am pretty sure you are going to find that handycam is illegal here in the UK. Problem solved.

I may be wrong but i remember a conversaton with my CCi and that was the result of my question.......I think

TIs are not allowed to wear a handcam in the UK for the pruposes of filming their students. Some TIs are pretty pissed off with this, but thats whats happened. I dont think its in the OPs manual, but just discussed at an STC meeting.

For everyone else, a C licence (not necessarily just 200 jumps) is required to wear any auxiliary equipment thats not standard skydiving wear. That includes cameras, GPS, smoke etc. Where you mount them is up to you AND CCI approval.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Mike111

Dont listen to all the people telling you that you should not be thinking about camera right now. Course you should, i was thinking about it the moment i was doing AFF, i knew i wanted to do camera and it gave me goals to work towards. In anything in life you find things that you want to achieve and then go the appropriate way about achieving them. Fuck all the twats, american nazis that need to tell you that you are wrong about thinking what you want out of your skydiving future. It is the only way to move forward, find out if you want, video tandems, 4-way, freefly, CRW, whatever.

The twats that sit here and tell you that you should not ask questions are just plain dickheads that think they bare better than the rest. The may as well not post, they are just trying to look good in front of their peers that read these forums.

Everyone that replied to you read your post where it says you recognise that you need 200 jumps and are a long way off by looking at your jump numbers but the dickheads come and tell you not to have aspirations.

So many people i speak to say they do not post in these forums cause when they ask a sensible question where they want an answer you get the american nazis coming and telling you that you should not ask that question. Screw them! Ask all the questions you can think of, you deserve all the answers.

Keep posting and keep enjoying, dont lsten to the fools that tell you not to have dreams.

For the fools who need to put newbies dreams down, you need to realise that the people who have dreams usually research their dreams way before they can live them, these are the people that go places in life.

Man these forums can really piss you off when you hear dickheads thinking telling you that you aint allowed to find out what you want to know.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Thats some inspirational shit right there. Rise up ye oppressed, and shift your thoughts towards the future and the unlimited bounty it hold for ye. Whatever.

Lets get back to reality. Everyone knows you can't stop a guy from thinking about things. Newbies will forever daydream about cameras, big ways, little rigs, swooping and eberything else cool about skydiving.

Nobody is trying to get them to literally stop thinking, they're trying to reinforce that there's no substitute for experience, and that the past has illustrated some general guidelines for what is a good idea when.

Take newbie A, he's a regular guy who can make about 50 jumps his first year, and 100 jump per year after that. He's loooking at 2 1/2 years min. to get to 200 jumps. After the first year or 18 months it seems silly to wait any longer, he's got over 100 jumps, and been thinking about jumping non-stop for a long time now.

Compare that to newbie B, he lives in Florida, 20 min from Z hills, and is rich. He makes his first 100 jumps in six months. He's got all the gear, and knows all the cool guys. He jumps four or five days a week. He's as current as hell, and ready to strap on the camera.

See? Two different guys, same result.

Enthusiasm is built into newbies. Without it, they would never be newbies, they'd be golfing. You don't need to encourage newbies, you need to determine their level of enthusiasm, and temper that with an appropriate measure of common sense (keeping in mind that common sense in skydiving is unique to skydiving, and not common to anyone wihtout experience).

you also need to answer their questions. A decent safe dz would know if a small jump number jumper was going to go up with a camera and stop them. Coming on the internet and asking about the difference with cameras so he has something else to think about while bored at home.....should not be told not to worry about it by these guys who have so much experience and advice to share. He should be told the answer to his question. I am not saying it does not hurt to give a side note (reminder) on the safety side of things, but he does not need to feel stupid for asking the question. You could tell the guy was scared in his original post by apologiseing while asking the question.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

thanks mate, i see your point about taking everything with a pinc of salt. But i believe in this case that it would be too dangerous at this stage, not only because rules say no but because it takes away my left hand from cutting away. + i would have to move my alti aswell further complicaring things.

I think 99% of people on here are only trying to keep us safe either because they have seen accidents or because they know what its likes to be young and aggressifve and want to push things.

But i respect your oppinion,

Cheers.

you also need to answer their questions. A decent safe dz would know if a small jump number jumper was going to go up with a camera and stop them. Coming on the internet and asking about the difference with cameras so he has something else to think about while bored at home.....should not be told not to worry about it by these guys who have so much experience and advice to share. He should be told the answer to his question. I am not saying it does not hurt to give a side note (reminder) on the safety side of things, but he does not need to feel stupid for asking the question. You could tell the guy was scared in his original post by apologiseing while asking the question.

Lol i wouldn't say scafred ( not trying to look bi

here), just cautious - what might appear a fair question to me might not toa .experienced guy,as it seems well dumb.