anewempire

that guy...

does anyone else have "that guy" at their dz where you are pretty sure he's going to end up killing himself or getting seriously hurt because he thinks of himself way above his skill level? it doesn't seem to matter what other people tell him about his over confident flying and canopy skills. i'm just waiting for the day i hear the news. maybe he'll learn before something bad happens

does anyone else have "that guy" at their dz where you are pretty sure he's going to end up killing himself or getting seriously hurt because he thinks of himself way above his skill level?

We did....he cut away from a perfectly good main down at Elsinore.....fumbled for the reserve and died.
There are more...it just takes time for them to manifest themselves.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Yep, we have a few that are on the "bounce/biff bingo" list. It's just a matter of time.:|
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Sure, we call 'em DGIT (Digit) or "Dead Guy In Training."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I had that guy leave the Cessna about 1 second after i did on a H&P just this weekend. In the plane, I laid out the exit and landing order. Due to WL, I would leave and land first. So, I saw my talk being completely ignored so I was watchful. After I left the plane, I rolled on my back to see if he was anywhere near me, and sure as shit, there he was damn near in my airspace. I had to track 180 and open at around 2.7. Irritated to say the least. Then I realized that this guy opened lower than I did, forcing me to bring it down quick. I was in the saddle at 2300 and he was a good 3-500 below me. There is no way I would have been to hang out for this guy. Then I pooched my setup.

Never again on a H&P with this guy, or before him on any FF jump. Some people just don't listen to a damn thing you say, even when they should know better. 450 jumps and a coach 1. Kinda sad.

edit to add: I believe that everyone deserves a chance to be learned. I have attempted this before at another DZ with a dude that does stupid shit. It didn't have any effect with him. Perhaps I will give it another try with someone else. I hope I can help him realize the error of his thinking, or at least assist him in making better decisions thru mentoring.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

yup... we've had a few... but one sticks out in my head.

This young gentleman had natural talent, he picked things up quickly and every time someone mentioned that he was going too fast he would always speed up.

Frustrated with being at a small DZ... he went West to a big DZ mecca... where he went even faster. While he was dropping canopy sizes like old underwear he forgot 2 major rules and one minor rule:

1- Complacency in any extreme sport WILL kill you.
2- Understanding what can happen doesn't replace the experience needed to deal with it.
Minor- Just because your friends are doing it doesn't mean you have to as well.

Right now... I don't have any idea exactly where he is right now. I just hope that the desire and the drive that put him in a wheelchair is enough to get him out of it again.

I certainly don't wish him any ill will and if anything I hope he recovers to some point of normalcy... point is that I shouldn't (as well as other people) have only to say "I told you so."

GraficO
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

"that guy" at my dropzone is a guy that everyone likes to hang out with on the ground but is afraid to be in the air with. He has been in the sport for a long time ( at least 30 years off and on, mostly off) but doesn't have big jump #'s. He has had various gear issues (blown up canopy, aad fire after low-pull, etc.) as well as not giving enough time between exits and ending up under previous group upon deployment.

Several people have spoken with "that guy" and he just complacently shrugs it off and laughs. Nobody wants to give him the golf or chess speech because he is such a nice guy that is great to hang out with over a beer and hear about the "old days".

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.