clintonradloff

ARE CYPRES AND AAD'S COMPULSORY

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THE CYPRES WAS THERE TO STOP THE "SPLAT"

That's why you pull!
I'm pretty sure most all students use an AAD. Once you have about an A license it's ultimately up to you. I know alot of people who do use them and enough that don't.

Most people that don't use them either can't afford one or don't feel they do the type of jumping that needs one.

I have one, but hope I'll never need it and NEVER rely on it.

it depends on your country regulations. They can vary from yes for all to no for all...

Many countries have AAD mandatory for students and tandems.

Having Caps Lock unlocked is mandatory though :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

A more straight answer: Usually no, but Cypres is compulsory in some areas and some dropzones. I know it is compulsory at a few dropzones near me.

It is not always compulsory on a national level (North America comes to my mind). But I can see by other posts that there are certain countries that it is compulsory.

Hey bud,

First off, please don't type in caps, it is aggressive.

Secondly, an AAD is an additional safety device that was developed to reduce the deaths in the sport that occurred due to people becoming unconscious or being knocked out or losing altitude awareness.
It was never developed to replace the skydiver opening his own parachute.
The AAD fires the reserve parachute.

If you are thinking that it is there to replace the pull, you are very misinformed.

It is purely an additional safety device and should NEVER be taken for granted. It is also a mechanical device that could fail.

We teach students to be competent skydivers and to beable to deploy their main parachute each skydive at the correct altitude.
The reserve is there for emergencies, when there is something majorly wrong with the main parachute.

If you are jumping or thinking about jumping, please speak to an instructor at your dropzone.

No, an AAD is not there to replace the pull and it tries to stop the SPLAT but only in extreme cases.

Some countries have made it a mandatory requirement.
In SA, we only have to place them in all Student Freefall gear.
Most skydivers put them in their rigs though.

Please PM if you have any further questions or queries on this.

BTW, Cypres is a brand of AAD. There are other brands in the market as well.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

I see your an Aussie. You should be receiving the most recent copy of the APF Op Regs soon, but here are the items about the use of AADs.

5.1.15. All freefall descents made by parachutists who do not hold a Certificate "E" must be
made with equipment fitted with a functional reserve static line or an operational
automatic activation device. The DZSO, in writing, may permit exemptions to this
rule for specific descents.

5.1.16. Notwithstanding the provisions of 5.1.15, all freefall descents made by parachutists
who do not hold a Certificate "D" must be made with equipment fitted with an
operational automatic activation device.

5.8.12. A Tandem descent shall not be made unless the equipment is fitted with an
operational automatic activation device.

6.1.14. An automatic activation device set to operate, at a safe height:
(a) the main parachute; or
(b) being an automatic activation device approved by the Director Safety, the
reserve parachute;
shall be used on all freefall descents by a student parachutist, other than tandem
descents.
Note: The Cypres automatic activation device (Expert and Student models)
manufactured by Airtec GmbH is approved by the Director Safety for the purposes of
6.1.14. See 5.8.12 for AAD requirement for tandem descents.

Some DZ's have more strict policies on the use of AADs and RSLs, check with your local Chief Instructor.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THE CYPRES WAS THERE TO STOP THE "SPLAT" ........ ANYWAYS THANKS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK.

There are concerns with some disciplines such as CRW and advanced swooping that having an AAD may contribute to people going SPLAT!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

5.1.15. All freefall descents made by parachutists who do not hold a Certificate "E" must be
made with equipment fitted with a functional reserve static line or an operational
automatic activation device. The DZSO, in writing, may permit exemptions to this
rule for specific descents.

You know, I just don't understand this. RSL OR AAD These serve different purposes, are likely to be helpful in different situations. One does not replace the other. I have had to explain this to LOTS of newbies. Normal quote "I have a Cypres, I don't need an RSL. Besides, (insert skygod name) says they're bad." I had one rigging customer who was low, screwed up the PC toss panicking and wrapped it around himself. He started EP's by pulling the cutaway and then waited for the RSL to open the reserve.:o Luckily he only waited a second and realized he needed to pull it. The guy had a couple hundred jumps, new his mistake in thinking, but got a good lecture and some review by me.

They compliment each other. Canopy collision at 600'? AAD won't fire but an RSL may save your butt. Having too much fun to worry about that planet rushing at you? The AAD may rudely remind you by putting a parachute over your head. An RSL will just hang there watching.

Mandate one, or both, but mandating one or the other only covers half the equation. I guess you get to decide which situation you want help with.:S
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Bad,Bad,Bad things can and will happenif you don't pull'or pull late. No it should not be an automatic thing!!!:P When you jump you are taking FULL responsibility for your self, you are the owner of the life God gave you! If you think they should bean automatic "thing then go to a amusement park and ride a ride that gives you the precieved danger. This is a seriou sport not a game or a ride,we take responsibilty for our action BRYAN:|
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

an AAD is a back up device, incase the worst happens, it is your choice to have it, and should never be relied upon, the best activation device you have are your hands!!
LittleDJ!!- There is no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft!!!

Or, in simpler terms: in Australia you must have an AAD until you have at least 200 jumps.

are you sure, I thought it was a E (500 jumps) licence?? C (200Jumps) means you can ditch your RSL...
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+