sundevil777

Problem with atmonauti article in parachutist

The diagrams on page 49 of the April mag show a "line of fly trajectory" that is wrong.

It shows a trajectory about 30 degrees to the horizontal. This means their horizontal speed is much greater than their vertical speed. No way.

The trajectory line is aligned with their body, which is not going to be their true trajectory through the sky.

The diagram itself contradicts the trajectory path by including a "no fly zone" because of burble considerations. The guy that is X'd out (in the no fly zone) would cause no problems if his trajectory was along the line shown, but even the article mentions that you have to watch out for causing a burble above you.

The pic on page 51 shows a group that seems to be flying at only a very slight angle to the horizontal. The top of the clouds and the color shift of the sky give reliable indication of the horizontal, I think.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Yeah, I looked at the diagrams and just laughed.

Maybe it was lost in the translation between the Atmonauts and the Artists.

I'll admit that the people that go on these dive are awesome flyers, but I wouldn't think too hard about it anyway otherwise you might be reminded of a certain story involving an Emperor and some articles of clothing.

(Flame on folks, you're never going to convince me otherwise. I still can't see any difference between this and a tracking dive.)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

(Flame on folks, you're never going to convince me otherwise. I still can't see any difference between this and a tracking dive.)

Maybe it's the challenge of putting one over on a publication like Parachutist, though I'd say they should have waited for the April issue.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Maybe it's the challenge of putting one over on a publication like Parachutist, though I'd say they should have waited for the April issue.

The same stupid diagram was in both the March and April issue.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

It's spelled F-L-O-C-K-I-N-G

Yea but that's not as cool, and after all today it's all about the cool factor, besides that it took some euro trash to came up with a new cool name, for flocking.:P
Don't you guys remember the big write up all about so and so who invented it, the "new word for a track dive". Now they have it all worked out with a spread sheet and all and if you don't fly that way it's just flock/track dive, but if you can fly looking like you got a corn cob up your bum then it's atmonauti.B|

Remember when we were parachutist, but today we are canopy pilots, sounds way cooler when your talking shit trying to impress some drunk ass chick in a bar, stinks to high heaven of cool factor, I guess the "yea baby I'm a skydiver" line quit working.:P LOL, now it's "yea baby I is a canopy pilot", all they hear is "pilot" and think your a 747 capt'n.
All this kind of crap cracks me today, I don't about the rest of you all, but I'm still a parachutist and a skydiver, you all can call it what ever you want, but a lot of us are laughing our ass off at you all who try to out cool each other with your fancy new lingo for the same old thing we been doing for years.;)

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

The even FUNNIER thing is the picture in this month's mag of the "atmonauti" jump over the Al-Ain airshow... is not of an "atmonauti" jump at all. That dive was planned, and executed as a tracking dive.:S So much for that, but it IS a nice pic.

It's funny about the "atmonauti" hoopla... we used to call it a "steep tracking dive" which is in contrast to a "flat tracking dive." Who knew that WE actually invented it, but just didn't know the right name for it!!:P
Oh, hello again!

The even FUNNIER thing

Even more funny, is that freestylist have been doing this for years as a compulsory move.I have even seen some old footage of Omar A. doing this back in the late 80s.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Atmonauti has a good deal of characteristics about it which seperate its kind of flying from head-down flocking and flat fly tracking. Don't knock it until you try it - that is, try docking on a 4-way atmonauti base. It may not be as easy as you think.

If you get the angle right when flying, the 45º (+ or - a few) that the article mentions...then you may be able to note that it is a lot more sensitive to vertical adjustments and horizontal ones as well. Dialing in a two way dock can even be quite challenging without ample time in the sky. I am not talk about a fly up and grab; more of a fly over to your slot and calmly dock. It is just different...dialing in a steady and slow dock is a completely different story. It takes a lot more discipline imo.

The airspeed across your body (head to toe) is greater than tracking and very close to that of flocking. And this is the foundation which makes the dynamic more difficult. Because those who do it, I would guess only because I do, don't want to just move forward (although that is quite fun within itself)...we want to 360 turn, dock, change position, carve, go feet first, transition, and all the other fun stuff too.

In addition, the possibility of horizontal distance being greater than vertical distance...hmmm, not sure about that really. It doesn't make me laugh though; it just makes me think about - how could that be true? Never considered it. But greater distances are obtained in atmonauti than from tracking. If it is true, it is likely to be caused by the arch in body position (i believe the arch may cause more lift).

So I tend to understand where the writer was coming from. Please take a second to note that on these jumps the freeflyers are very hooked over on their backs or stomachs - this will provide a subtle lift - and at those speeds, a true 45º vector (or more) may be possible.

I've only got about 130 of these types of jumps under my belt now and continue to experiment everytime I get to the DZ. I, for one, hope the phenomenon continues to grow - it'll set your fuckin hair on fire if you do it right....and that ain't no shit.

It's spelled F-L-O-C-K-I-N-G

Yea but that's not as cool, and after all today it's all about the cool factor, besides that it took some euro trash to came up with a new cool name, for flocking.:P.....~

so:

Flocking => atmonauti
Parachutist => canopy pilot
Unstable => freeflying
Style => freestyle
Baton pass => relative work
Hop and Pop => Hop and Pop :S

I can live with that - they've all advanced and if someone thinks a new name is warranted, then all they have to do is convince the rest of us.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Unstable => freeflying
Hop and Pop => Hop and Pop

"Unstable => freeflying"
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

"Hop and Pop => Hop and Pop"
Ummmm, Clear and Pull?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

good grief [:/]

don't know what you mean here by the "little sad face"

did one of these hurt your ego?

Shouldn't, the point is existing things develop and new things evolve and it doesn't really matter if they get named or renamed as long as it doesn't get confusing. It's a good thing, although funny at times the lengths people go to try and feel like they are original or edgy rather than just better or slightly different - it's a matter of degrees - I thought Stratostar's post that I had responded to was wry and kind of funny. He's good that way

Let's see if we can say the proper and correct buzzwords to make you feel better (you're a freeflyer right? it's about the most sensitive group of people around) - there's as much in common with with the random manuverings of the old days to freeflying as there is with the new canopy piloting (look at the PD team), or as the old 'get close and touch once' is to modern 4-way pros, etc.......It's a good thing. We're getting better in all areas and stretching the limits in all disciplines - it's a sign of a healthy sport.

If I missed your intent, then just chalk it up to the written word isn't alway crystal clear when just communicated with 2 words and a face

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

did saying 'good grief' bother you. some thin skin you got there sweetie. is it nice and soft too? maybe we can share a coach jump when you are around. be glad to show you how to remain stable off of your belly. hahaha!!

did saying 'good grief' bother you. some thin skin you got there sweetie. is it nice and soft too? maybe we can share a coach jump when you are around. be glad to show you how to remain stable off of your belly. hahaha!!

Touche - sweet! Free FF lessons from Vertifly!!

:PIt's a deal - Thin skinned headdown 2way Freeflying. I'll buy the beer. But you can't ask about the soft skin, my wife's jealous - I'll always take lessons, I love freeflying and wish I had money to do more of it in addition to the 4way and giving coaching and the CrW. We have some seriously talented FFer's and Freestylists in the neigborhood and my best jumps (learning) are always with them. I have just enough control to get a few controlled docks with someone decent, on a 'good' dive (for me) and they say I fall straight down in both upright and headdown, so that's a start. But it's just enough to really whet the appetite to commit to the discipline for a few seasons, you know? Damn sport has too many choices. It's hard to do them all.

Damn sport has too many choices. It's hard to do them all.

It is all flying in my opinion. Just get the fuck out. Blue One's Fly Free - Dave C

Good point - it's hard to be 'really good' at them all. That's why it's good to do them all enough to be safe and have a good time, and to pick one to try to be excellent at - if that's your thing. But I'm still holding you to the jump. Can't turn that kind of thing down. The return of favor is putting you in a slot in our 4-way group and turning a god-awful number of points. It's a different type of rush and always get the local "I'm 99% freefly" types to comment 'shit, that was a GAS, can we do more?'.

Blues

I am not talk about a fly up and grab; more of a fly over to your slot and calmly dock. It is just different...dialing in a steady and slow dock is a completely different story. It takes a lot more discipline imo.

kinda sounds like ws flocking.. :P of course on a different incline or just flocking w/ docking :ph34r:

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Atmonauti has a good deal of characteristics about it which seperate its kind of flying from head-down flocking and flat fly tracking.

Yeah... it's 1/2way between them both. There's no magic to that. That's not to say it isn't fun, but it really isn't the "next big thing" in my opinion. I think there's way more hype about it than anything. Especially since it has been claimed to have been "invented" by someone... that'll really get people going.

Like I said, fun, flying, sure... the coolest thing SINCE freeflying was also "invented":P... nah.
Oh, hello again!

Yeah... it's 1/2way between them both.

This sounds like a narrow perspective. Flocking has rarely included docking. Tracking almost never includes maneuverability on an individual's axis. And neither of them are considerable for an effective artistic routine. Although, I've seen people pull off a tracking routine at nationals - albeit, not quite as dynamic looking as the vertical stuff.

Especially since it has been claimed to have been "invented" by someone...

I didn't know someone is saying that they "invented" it. Who is that? I know that someone is claiming to have coined the phrase. Much like FreeFly® which we all love so much.

Who cares if it is the next big thing or not...it is still friggin fun as hell. Not to mention very challenging indeed - to pull off all the moves you like to do in head down and sitflying except at a different vector; moving across the sky as opposed to down it. You just keep on keepin on dude...and I will do the same. Peace.