snafuhere

Best dropzone in the USA

i can't comment on florida dz's since i've never been there, but between perris and sdc, i'd choose perris for hard-core training and the tunnel, but if i was looking for a place to learn and have fun, it would be chicago all the way. the whole facility was built to be a dropzone, not a normal airport shared with general aviation. tons of outs, huge landing area, awesome facilities, great people, fun vibe. B|
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I'm a So Cal local and Perris and Elsinore are my two favorite dropzones. There will be NO rain in July/August. But be warned, the temps can often go above 100 degrees and we can get some pretty fierce wind devils. Add in higher field elevations of 1400 or so ft MSL and summertime jumping could challenge your canopy landing skills. But the locals keep at it all summer. Those are just some conditions you should be aware of, but by all means come on out and have some big fun !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

>be warned, the temps can often go above 100 degrees and we
>can get some pretty fierce wind devils . . .

On days like that, Otay is a good choice. Never gets above 85, winds are always off the ocean and the weather is always good.

>be warned, the temps can often go above 100 degrees and we
>can get some pretty fierce wind devils . . .

On days like that, Otay is a good choice. Never gets above 85, winds are always off the ocean and the weather is always good.

That's what I like to hear...but I suppose Otay is San Diego...which is way far away from me.

I had forgotten about that. I remember seeing some funky landings while standing on the dz at times during my stay but then again, it's all about knowing when to say: "that's it, winds are too squirrely for me right now, i'm gonna take myself off this load".

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky