snafuhere

Best dropzone in the USA

Hi there,
I am going to spend my vacation on dropzone - end of July - beginning of August. Hope for some 2 weeks of all-day skydiving.

What would be the best dropzone in USA?
I've been thinking about Deland FL, but am afraid of temperatures. I live in north part of Europe and temperatures above 85 F scare me. Should I care?

What dropzone would you suggest from your experience?
Once I got there I want to be able to jump the whole week (weather, plane availability, accomodation are the main factors).

https://www.facebook.com/1skydive/

If you are going to be here for the first full week of August.. WFFC. www.freefall.com You will be hard pressed to find any other DZ in the country flying near the loads that will be flying at WFFC that week.

2 Super Otters, Skyvan, 2 CASA's, Mullins King Air, Chopper... Ballons. All flying at the same time waiting to take you to altitude as fast as you can pack.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

temperatures above 85 F scare me.

All the more reason to spend as much time in the air as possible! It's cooler at altitude.

Late July, early August is a very busy time of year for US skydivers. Lost Prairie Boogie and World Freefall Convention are but two possibilities of many.

You have many options for making lots of jumps during the summer, but be warned, you will probably sweat as long as you are on the ground.

For Great Deals on Gear

Skydive Chicago has Summerfest July 30 -August 7. World Freefall Convention is August 5-14.

I'd suggest doing a week at Summerfest, then spend the second week at the World Freefall Convention. They are only a few hours drive apart.

I did that last year...tons of fun! great skydives, fun parties and incredible people at both.

Skydive Chicago has Summerfest July 30 -August 7. World Freefall Convention is August 5-14.

I'd suggest doing a week at Summerfest, then spend the second week at the World Freefall Convention. They are only a few hours drive apart.

I did that last year...tons of fun! great skydives, fun parties and incredible people at both.

that would be your best bet for the time period you are going to be here. Good planes, lots of people to jump with. never a dull moment.

Why spend money traveling/jumping at just one dz or $ to fly to multiple states for other dz. A few hours apart and i'm sure you could find a ride from sdc to Wffc

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Lemme give you the lowdown.

If you want to drink yourself silly and watch attention whores show their boobs and maybe make a jump or two.....go to WFFC.

If you want to go to a boogie for the sole sake of making good skydives, go to SDC.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Oh? How many jumps did you make at WFFC? ;)

When I was at WFFC last year the weather was the worst in memory but I still did 18 jumps in 3 days and I was just screwing around. WFFC has the possibil;ity of doing as many jumps as your wallet will let you. The Japanese crew typicaly does 75-125 each in the 10 days of WFFC. Mullins kids are right up there in jump count too. Airspeed and lots of the LO's are doing very similar jump numbers.

Either boogie will let you jump hard or party hard. You just have to find your own groove and dig it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If your profile info is correct - 50 jumps - you may want to think a little about going to one of the big events; WFFC (and I imagine SDC) will be very busy with a lot of canopy traffic etc. Not doubting your skills/abilities dude, just something to think about......
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Summerfest isn't too bad as far as canopies in the air at one time. They fly two planes at time all summer long. So they are used to keeping a safe time frame between aircraft. I've never had the "holy shit, where did that canopy come from!" incident like you get every once a while at WFFC. During the week the planes fly with some pretty light loads. I was on a few Otter loads with 12 people last year...what afast, comfortable climb!

Summerfest is a good warm up to get you prepared for the madness of Rantoul.

Want a variety of aircraft flying non-stop and a kickass out-of-control party scene..... go to WFFC.

Want serious freefly talent, good fun nightlife, and loads that turn frequently.... Summerfest.

Want to come play at a badass freefly dz (yes, I'm biased).... come to Skydive Orange, in Virginia.

B|

Oh? How many jumps did you make at WFFC? ;)

When I was at WFFC last year the weather was the worst in memory but I still did 18 jumps in 3 days and I was just screwing around. WFFC has the possibil;ity of doing as many jumps as your wallet will let you. The Japanese crew typicaly does 75-125 each in the 10 days of WFFC. Mullins kids are right up there in jump count too. Airspeed and lots of the LO's are doing very similar jump numbers.

Either boogie will let you jump hard or party hard. You just have to find your own groove and dig it.

Good points on all angles. ;):P

Shithead. :P:D

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Could you point me to some more info about summerfest? I'm really looking for a big boogie that I can jump my arse off for a week, and at a DZ big enough that I can hang around and do a fair few jumps for the next week too (and hook up with some BMI's;)).

Anyone else thinks they have a good boogie please feel free to tell me!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Now why didn't I think of that:$. I'll keep an eye on that site, thanks.

What's midweek jumping like at Skydive Chicago that time of year? What could I expect if I stayed for the week after? (Dreaming of 100 jumps in 16 days:o)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

SKydive CHicago is the Most Impresive Dropzone you will ever go to..by far.. I say this with experience because I have been to around twenty-five here in the states and about a dozen of Europe's biggest.

There are some places bigger and with more aircraft but DAMN you will be convinvced too once you step onto the airport, jump, eat the food, swoop the pond, and watch the big screen..

Being a low time jumper this is the perfect place to go and jump for two weeks straight. the weather can rain because it is in the midwest but temp will be nice a little on the warm side sometimes though..

you mean the week after summerfest? I'm sure a fair amout will be at WFFC.
They do offer 50 jump packages @17$ a jump, but not sure what's the deal with getting a package over summer fest.. since summerfest jump tickets have been 17$ the last 2 yrs

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

There are two boogies that are a must not miss here in the States: one is the Halloween Boogie in Atlanta and the other is SUmmerfest at Skydive Chicago...

Man they have four big projection screens just for us to watch videos of our jumps on.. they have full score rigging and gear shops that will do what you need right then.. they have filet of Salmon for lunch or assorted other 100 items on the menu. They even have these big freaking cushion things that you sit on that make just being there worth every expense you made to get there....
You will not be dissapointed if you go to Skydive Chicago.......

If your profile info is correct - 50 jumps - you may want to think a little about going to one of the big events; WFFC (and I imagine SDC) will be very busy with a lot of canopy traffic etc. Not doubting your skills/abilities dude, just something to think about......

SDC has a bigger (far bigger) primary landing area than WFFC, and lots of outs (just like WFFC). Prolly safer for a novice at SDC. I go to and enjoy both, but WFFC tends to give me a slight attack of "the willies" on account of its tendency to be somewhat out of control, both in the landing area and at night. If you have time, warm up at SDC and move on to WFFC.

WFFC facilities are kind of primitive but adequate. SDC has the most beautiful facilities you will see at any dropzone.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If your profile info is correct - 50 jumps - you may want to think a little about going to one of the big events....

That's right, I'm looking for a safe kind of fun.
On the other hand, until end of July I'm planning to have some 100 jumps total, so gain more experience before.

Anyway - great replys and Chickago seems right for me. Will take FL in the winter then.

https://www.facebook.com/1skydive/

If your profile info is correct - 50 jumps - you may want to think a little about going to one of the big events....

That's right, I'm looking for a safe kind of fun.
On the other hand, until end of July I'm planning to have some 100 jumps total, so gain more experience before.

Anyway - great replys and Chickago seems right for me. Will take FL in the winter then.

Look us up, then!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

On my US trip two years ago i started with Perris for the month of July and then made my way up to the WFFC.

At Perris i manged a minimum of 8 jumps a day and two sessions of tunnel, one in the early am and one at night.

The people and talent there rocks! You have some VERY talented Freefly Load Organisers jumping all through the week as well as some of the USA's big name coaches, ie. Eli Thompson, Fritz Pfnur, Mike Swanson, Jon Devore and Alex Allen.

Did i mention the tunnel is right on the DZ? And that they fly an Otter every day as well as a skyvan on weekends?

Also, I didn't ever make it up that way but Skydive Elsinore is just a short drive away and it's not hard to organise a lift up that way.

As for WFFC, now that i have done it i would definately go to Summerfest the next time round. The WFFC was awesome though and even with it's party hard reputation i managed to get some quality skydives in with some awesome jumpers. When i was there the guys from Guano were organising and i made some quality skydives with them and other flyers.

I also hooked up with Sky Monkey Numero Uno and Lou Diamond and got my flock on! They organised some really good stuff. Small ways, big ways, you name it.

Hope this helps your decision

:)
edited to add: my total trip was 2.5 months long and i managed to do 165 jumps in that time plus 3 hours of tunnel. I did around 30 at the WFFC purely because of weather and limited budget. (Damn that tunnel addiction!)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

The hot weather in Florida should be the least of your worries that time of year. I'm more concerned about those little storms that come off the Atlantic known as Hurricanes. This year is supposed to be just as active as last year. The Mid-West would be your best best.