If a jump went bad and you ended up paralysed from the waist down, would you think it had been worth it?

But, on the other hand when I was a lot younger and dumber I recall saying that I love skydiving so much that if I get killed tomorrow it would have been all worth it. I don't know if that statement shows my mental state at the time or if I truly was stupid.

I felt the same way. Now I take fewer chances. I think the sport starts pretty much all consuming. Its easy to fall in love with the sport and think anything is worth it when its shinny and new. You annoy your friends that don't jump with jump stories and lose many of them in the process.

One day you realize that skydiving, while fun, is not life itself. And things change.

I still have to think that if I were truely injured I woudl think its not worth it. And I knwo people who said exactly that.

But living in a room watching TV as your life is not worth it either.

So its a balance. You take the risks and minimse them as much as you can. If it still happens I think you will regret it.

I don't see how you can't.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

On February 14, 1988 I became a paralyzed on my 870th jump, happy Valentines Day, you are a paraplegic. Do I wish I had stayed home with the wife, hell yes. Do I wish I had never started jumping, HELL NO.

There is life after paralyses you just have to learn to have fun in different ways.

Never wanted to live forever. No regrets.

One day you realize that skydiving, while fun, is not life itself. And things change.

When my son arrived in this world, that was an eye opening event and skydiving started to take a backseat ..... still fun, the people are as awsome as ever, but given a choice I would rather go with him to find shiny rocks on the columbia river. I have seen everything there a million times... but now I get to see them through his eyes, all shiny and new, with wonders everywhere...

The sport is still shiny and new to a lot our jumpers,

ahh hell, I musta got old when I wasnt lookin... :o

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I wouldn't say that about one jump but if something happened to me I don't think I would trade the last seven years to make it go away.

That's a good point. I had become focused on whether the one jump where an accident happened would have been worth the payoff. BUt you are right, you have to consider the entire length of the experiences you have had. Thanks for that.

Agreed

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

So its a balance. You take the risks and minimse them as much as you can.

I reckon that's one of the best points. After all, you can get paralysed in a car accident too but I'm not giving up driving - I'll just try not to drive like an arsehole! Minimising risk.

It's a good question because hopefully on that 8th jump Newbie is talking about when you are running to make the lift with your chest strap undone and your alti back in the packing hall because it was in your helmet and fell out (example - not directed personally! :P) You might stop and think "Is making THIS lift in such a hurry" worth that risk?

Answer, NO!!! Stop and think. Minimise risk...;)

Just my point of view...

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Okay, here's the real question:

If went bad, and you ended up , would you think it had been worth it?

For example, in the year 2000, the maternal death rate in the US was 17 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births. The skydiving fatality rate pales in comparison. I didn't have time to check for maternal injury rates, but there are no few women who end up paralyzed and comatose as the result of giving birth.

And it's the same for everything we do. And all we can do is measure the risk and decide if it's commensurate with the reward.

The biggest risk of all is not living while you're breathing.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

No sport is worth dying for or being crippled for. But some sports are worth the calculated risk. Big difference.

This is exactly how I see it.

Responding "Yes" to the question in the OP -- which referred only to the jump on which the injury occurs --is equivalent to saying that I would make a particular jump even if I knew for certain in advance that it would leave me permanently disabled.

Doug

I wouldn't say that about one jump but if something happened to me I don't think I would trade the last seven years to make it go away.

Ditto. Lots of great memories in 13 years, and if something goes wrong on my last jump, I will still cherish those memories.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If you were in a wheelchair forever, would you look back on the jump you made and think "Well i might be in this chair and can never jump or walk or do alot of the stuff i used to do again, or most likely have sex and kids, but the jump was worth it".

The same could be said about walking across the street to get a beer. You get hit by some dude driving on the side walk! Was it worth it? Kind of a stupid question ... IMHO.

edited to add ++++++++++

I sound to harsh to your question. I didn't mean to. I guess I'm not too fond of over analyzing the "what if" in every situation. As I said in a different post... Mitigate risks, and enjoy life!

steveOrino

No sport is worth dying for or being crippled for. But some sports are worth the calculated risk. Big difference.

I agree! Everytime we take part in a dangerous sport, death or a crippling injury could happen. To me it's well worth the risk in terms of what I'm getting out of skydiving. But at the same time trading all those good times for a broken back doesn't seem like a good trade to me. Most of us think it'll never happen to me and continue to jump. Particularly when a person is young there is a feeling of infallability. If I knew for sure that a serious injury or death was coming my way I wouldn't do that sport. I doubt if most of us would. Yet, there may be a few with a death wish who might.

I once worked as a timber faller in the woods. One by one I saw my friends being killed or crippled for life. After ten years, of falling timber, I could see the writing on the wall, that death or serious injury was likely headed my way. So, I got out of that profession. I figured I had pushed my luck enough.

I guess If I was smart I never would have started skydiving again. I still feel the benefits outweigh the risk, or I wouldn't still be jumping.

Besides, when you get to be an old fart you have to die of something. It might as well be doing something you love rather than laying in a bed suffering. Just some perverse thoughts from an old skydiver:S....Steve1

i would definitely would not think it was worth if i got paralysed. i used to ride dirt bikes a lot and i've broken a lot of bones. i even broke my back at one point and all i wanted to do was get back on the bike. breaking my back made me see how serious the sport was but i guess it wasn't until i took a 3 story fall onto flat ground in the sand dunes that it really hit me about never being able to walk again. my legs were seriously messed up for the next 7 months as i recovered and after that it really made me think a lot about walking and being paralyzed. i've gone riding one time since then. honestly i want to get back on the bike really bad but it's still hard to gather myself up and take the risk that just doesn't seem that worth it anymore. i guess because i haven't really faced anything bad in skydiving yet it doesn't terrify me as much as riding dirt bikes again does. but i know just like how i learned the risks of riding first hand over the years i will soon learn the risks first hand of jumping as time goes on. while being caught up in what we do we can say "it would definitely be worth it," when it actually happens you will definitely think that through a little more. you may not change your answer but you might... i'm just saying you'll think about it A LOT more. but till then lets all jump and enjoy lives. killer?

I had that jump that went bad. I was paralyzed for several months with a crushed spine.

Do I wish I could have those ten years of sleepless nites back? Sure I do.
Would I trade the last 25 years of skydiving for my knees and painfree days?
Hell no.....but I wish I knew then, what I know now.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

If a jump went bad and you ended up paralysed from the waist down, would you think it had been worth itreply]

since I've been married for over a decade, how would I recognize the paralysis?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Personally, I think I would only be capable of answering that question if it happens. When I look back on everything I got out Skydiving, everything I put into Skydiving, the friends I have made, the memories I have, and the person I have become.
Derec Davies
Big_Red

Let's ask this guy (www.deadmike.com) if he thinks it was worth it... Not paralyzed, but:

"Mike broke both femurs, both knees, left kneecap, right foot big toe, left elbow, right arm radius, mandible (lower jaw), maxilla (upper jaw), nose, orbits (eyeball sockets) and palate in mouth. Mike also lost 10 pints of blood, 19 teeth and 25 pounds of fat/muscle. He has various nerve damage."

B| B| B|

FAQ from the webpage:

"How much are your bills?

That is a very good question. I receive copies of all the insurance statements, but I've not taken the time to calculate it all.

I can say that my hospital stay in Quincy, without the surgeons fees, was $100,000. Yep, that's what ICU for 2 weeks costs.

I'd imagine that my BILLED total is somewhere around $750,000-$1,000,000 so far. What the insurance company has actually paid is somewhere around $247,000. Luckily, my insurance will cover up to $2.5 millions, although I don't know if that can be used on one incident.

Again, United Healthcare and Enron have performed flawlessly and honorably during this entire ordeal."

I wouldn't say that 1 particular jump was "worth it" -- nobody would. On the other hand, I have told my father (and others) that if I end up dying in this sport, it would still have been "worth it" to me.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

If you were in a wheelchair forever, would you look back on the jump you made and think "Well i might be in this chair and can never jump or walk or do alot of the stuff i used to do again, or most likely have sex and kids, but the jump was worth it".

Was "the jump" worth it? No. Was jumping in general, whether 100, 1000, 10000 jumps? I don't know, and hope never to find out. But let's face it... normal people take normal but unnecessary risks every day for fun that you could ask similar questions about... like:

If you found out tomorrow that you were going to be a dad/mom, would the sex have been worth it? (or worse, if you found out you had AIDS)

If you were otherwise healthy and diagnosed with lung cancer at 50, would the cigarettes have been worth it?

If you were arrested and sent to prison, would smoking weed have been worth it?

All of these are permanently life-altering events that can easily be prevented by simply not partaking in the activity. The first two, on a statistical basis, have a WAAAY higher chance of happening to you then being paralyzed skydiving, but people are more than happy to think "it'll never happen to me" or "I'm not going to worry about it right now... it makes me happy."

Personally, I'm in the 2nd group... I know shit happens, and I know it could happen to me, so I pay attention to what isn't a good idea and I hope that that, along with a little luck, will let me dodge all the bullets sent my way during my short time on this earth;)

Of course, you could always live in a bubble.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Was "the jump" worth it? No. Was jumping in general, whether 100, 1000, 10000 jumps? I don't know, and hope never to find out. But let's face it... normal people take normal but unnecessary risks every day for fun that you could ask similar questions about... like:

If you found out tomorrow that you were going to be a dad/mom, would the sex have been worth it? (or worse, if you found out you had AIDS)

If you were otherwise healthy and diagnosed with lung cancer at 50, would the cigarettes have been worth it?

If you were arrested and sent to prison, would smoking weed have been worth it?

All of these are permanently life-altering events that can easily be prevented by simply not partaking in the activity. The first two, on a statistical basis, have a WAAAY higher chance of happening to you then being paralyzed skydiving, but people are more than happy to think "it'll never happen to me" or "I'm not going to worry about it right now... it makes me happy."

Personally, I'm in the 2nd group... I know shit happens, and I know it could happen to me, so I pay attention to what isn't a good idea and I hope that that, along with a little luck, will let me dodge all the bullets sent my way during my short time on this earth;)

Of course, you could always live in a bubble.

What a great post...

Inspiring - thanks dude...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…