Mike111

Whats your little handshake before you leave the plane?

Valinda and I have a little handshake thing we always do on jumprun, just a little thing but we like it. Then one day, in the hospital, right before they put her on the ventilator in a coma, not knowing if she'd was coming back, she gives me that handshake from the hospital bed. That was the coolest thing at one of the hardest times in my life.

I'm okay with the handshakes. Share the love. :)
After she got all better, the doctors asked about the handshake thing. They were dying to know what that was all about . . . :D

Andrea, I think you and John Rich need to take this discussion to Speaker's Corner.

No way, I don't go in there! :P

I do the handshake AND smile at complete strangers. I apologize in advance if I happen to do either one of those things to you if we are ever at the same dz.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'll be at the Cross Keys Season opener. I don't plan to acknowledge you or anyone I talk to on here.

Well, that just sounds like a challenge now. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm with John on this one, it's stupid. Kind of like smiling and saying hello to people. STEW-PID!!

Yeah, God forbid people be nice to each other or acknowledge one another. That's what's wrong with this country today, people are just too damn nice. We should all just ignore everyone and maybe they'll get the message that they should mind their own damn business! :S

Good gosh. I say I think the hand-jive stuff is stupid, and the next thing you know I'm an unfriendly, loner, monster, responsible for the degradation of America's morality!

For the record: I'm quite friendly. I don't ignore people or treat them like outsiders. In fact, I jump with everyone, regardless of experience level. I think a smile is just as good as all the hand-jive - in fact, better. Talking to people is more important than hand-jive. Sharing the awesome experience of skydiving together is more important than hand-jive. If I'm on the plane with you, in a dive with you, or sharing a beer with you, that's more important than hand-jive.

Hand-jive doesn't mean shit. If you're so insecure that you need silly hand tricks to make yourself feel "wanted", then the problem is not the guy who doesn't like hand-jive.

Flame away at the big 'ol unfriendly monster!

I know you are a nice guy and look forward to meeting you one day...soon! It is your right to believe what you believe and feel how you feel. Maybe you are misunderstanding what some of us get out of it, as it certainly isn't about "belonging or fitting in"...for me it's "good luck, kick ass, and save your a$$" without a long conversation. I can't hear crap on the plane, but understand hand jestures...so it eases tension, allows 5 - 10 seconds of sharing a smile with your friends.

so, john, when we get to jump together - we're handjivin' just because I like it, and you don't like to hurt peoples' feeling that do it.:D

BTW - the hospital story was touching. Thanks for sharing:)

is

Seriously, John, just when I think you two couldn't possibly be any cuter you pull this story out. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Funny that you posted this, we've just completed our National Champs here and as a camera guy for a few teams i noticed the different shakes that people have.

Our team one had four hands in the middle, with the camera guy's on top. We then did an exit count, pulled our hands away and played rock-paper-scissors. It was a great way to release tension :)

Funny that you posted this, we've just completed our National Champs here and as a camera guy for a few teams i noticed the different shakes that people have.

Our team one had four hands in the middle, with the camera guy's on top. We then did an exit count, pulled our hands away and played rock-paper-scissors. It was a great way to release tension :)

Agreed. Being my first time as a camera flyer in competition i was a mess on my first round. The handshakes and smiles before exit helped a lot.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky