Mike111

Whats your little handshake before you leave the plane?

I am tail for a four way team known as the Wissota Shockers. We put our hands straight out, wrapping fingers, with the ring finger pulled back, then :ready, set, go. after the release of the finger wrap we raise our hand towards the right under the nose of the the jumper next to you. Then return your hand to lick your picky finger.

For those of you who don't know what a shocker is, stick your hand straight out, pull the ring finger back. Insert the pointer and the middle in the pink the pinky in the stink and there you have it.

now got back and think about the hand shake and what it means

We do have one girl on the team, She is my piece partner. People love the hand shake when they see her doing it. I do to.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

The middle finger straight up.........

That one always works. Tell them they are #1. Nice meeting you today Ed.

It was nice to meet you also, and I hope we can fly togther sometime when you get the suit repaired. ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

None, if I can help it. I think it's a dumb tradition.

Hello Mr. Bahumbug......is it really that big of a deal either way ?

No big deal. In fact it's considered rude if one is offered, and no response is given - like refusing a handshake. So I do it. But I think it's dumb. Unless beautiful women are the ones doing the offering...

Hello Mr. Bahumbug......is it really that big of a deal either way ?

No big deal. In fact it's considered rude if one is offered, and no response is given - like refusing a handshake. So I do it. But I think it's dumb. Unless beautiful women are the ones doing the offering...

A beautiful woman can pretty much do anything and it'd be ok :)

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

I dont do any of that Gay shit!

The ones I really hate in ascending order.

The freefly hand slap and punch, Dude thats Rad! No its sad!
The lets all hold hands like fags and breathe whilst looking into everybodys eyes like a stage hypnotist.
Or my personal favorite, the take off dance carried out by mediocre, comicly over serious RW teams. Youve all seen it, the thing where they wiggle their fingers on take off and as the wheels leave the tarmac they slap their Knees and whoop and holler.

What the f&*k is that about?

At £20 quid a jump in the UK im gonna be thinking about the skydive and not keeping up with the latest "groovey handshake routine"!

I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand.

LOLOLOL v funny descrpirions, lol laughing my ass off!!!!

Oh but come on... they are not bad, and agreed our jump prices are way too high but it still adds a lit of fun and sense of everyone wishing the best for the other?

Its harmless.. if youve thought about the skydive and are ready to go... its ok./

Come on scrooge!!!!:P:P:P:P

Or my personal favorite, the take off dance carried out by mediocre, comicly over serious RW teams. Youve all seen it, the thing where they wiggle their fingers on take off and as the wheels leave the tarmac they slap their Knees and whoop and holler.

A lot of drop zones have their own personal silly traditions. At Blue Sky Ranch, on take-off, they chant "Fly baby, Fly! Shawanga!"

Skydive Houston has some silly stuff like this, usually led by Luminous Larry:

1) A song about "beer" sung to the tune of Do-Re-Mi;
2) A song about a mythical lady who waves her tits, and other assorted feats;
3) A "Hey, asshole!" shout, followed by everyone answering simultaneously; "What?", and;
4) A shout to "Count off!", whereby everyone responds by shouting simultaneously "One!" and holding up their middle finger.

Call it "local color". When done in a plane with whuffo tandems aboard, they must think we're all nuts.

I am tail for a four way team known as the Wissota Shockers. We put our hands straight out, wrapping fingers, with the ring finger pulled back, then :ready, set, go. after the release of the finger wrap we raise our hand towards the right under the nose of the the jumper next to you. Then return your hand to lick your picky finger.

For those of you who don't know what a shocker is, stick your hand straight out, pull the ring finger back. Insert the pointer and the middle in the pink the pinky in the stink and there you have it.

now got back and think about the hand shake and what it means

We do have one girl on the team, She is my piece partner. People love the hand shake when they see her doing it. I do to.

haha.. It cracked me up the first time I saw it... oh and Monique is a hottie :P
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I definitely agree, it does make you feel more included....which is one of the hardest things when you are starting, I think...so many dzs are like family, when your new, its not always easy to fit in.

I remember one time going up with a friend of mine for my level 4 I think, and he forget to do the little shake thing with before, and it definitely increased my nervousness. In fact, I bet I could even blame him for the reason I had to repeat level 4 ;)
~Dottie

“Everything looks perfect from far away.”
Postal Service, Such Great Heights

I wouldn't say I'm a big sap, but honestly, one of the major things about skydiving that appeals to me is the sense of community. While there are deviants in every crowd, even from the outside the whole group appears to be very tight-knit. I'm sure it's different for a lot of people but I'm equally sure there are some out there that wouldn't enjoy the sport as much if it didn't have the social dynamic it has.

I openly admit I look forward to going out to the DZ for the first time, getting on the plane for the first time, making my first jump, all the firsts. But even moreso, I look forward to participating in an activity where the comradery is as prevalent as it appears to be.

I just flat out hate doing shit alone. :D Who else are you gonna share the experiences with who can have anywhere near the level of appreciation for those experiences, outside of someone who's been there?

I just think about the question I heard back in late elementary school.

"If you could have the one thing you wanted more than anything else, but you couldn't tell anyone about it. Would it be worth that?"

i do any hand shake that the others are doing, it costs nothing apart from a few seconds and relaxes me, makes me feel like i know people when i don't know them... i've spoken to a few people on the ground after wishing them good luck at hand shake time, nice way to make first contact with people

I'm with John on this one, it's stupid. Kind of like smiling and saying hello to people. STEW-PID!!
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Funny that you posted this, we've just completed our National Champs here and as a camera guy for a few teams i noticed the different shakes that people have.

I have my own one, a hand slide out in front, follwed by a knuckle punch and a point. But i also have different ones that i do with different members of my team and other friends in the plane. I also have a different one for freeflyers, FS jumps and wing suiting. :D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

A "Hey, asshole!" shout, followed by everyone answering simultaneously; "What?"!

Yeah I kinnda like that one. Pretty much sums people who do gay hand shakes up.

When done in a plane with whuffo tandems aboard, they must think we're all nuts.

I think you'll find thats twats!

What it is to be a wacky skydiver. "I live on the moon and its made of cheese, honk honk, yep Im crazzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeee, I am",!:P

Excuse me while I get my head down!;)

I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand.

We do a like a high five slip - hit the hand side on and slide it across it, followed by a fist high five and usint th knuckle and then a finger point like an arrow .

Whats yours?

The way Ive had it described to me, and I like it, is to remember emergency procedure.

Rub hands together (peel)
punch (punch)
point finger, which is the usual hand signal for "pull" (pull)

So its just a subconsious reminder of what you're supposed to do if shit goes down.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

well first I like to grab my nuts give em a good shake and then slap hands with everyone on the plane...

some people get the knod...

some people get the good game

some people get the nipple pinch

some people get their legs spread wide in the plane on the way to altitude

it all depends

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I'm with John on this one, it's stupid. Kind of like smiling and saying hello to people. STEW-PID!!

Yeah, God forbid people be nice to each other or acknowledge one another. That's what's wrong with this country today, people are just too damn nice. We should all just ignore everyone and maybe they'll get the message that they should mind their own damn business! :S
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon