Acoisa

Confused.....

Hi.. might sound stupid but here I go...

After doing a Tandem last year I kinda don't know what to think...
I don't have the typical "jumped once and got hooked" thing going on, also can't say if the jump was positive or negative for me just really fast and loud... Still can't stop thinking of skydiving but I don't know why.. Never was the adrenaline junkie type ,and working as a commercial pilot kinda gets you thinking and acting on the conservative side for most of the time...
I have a month off at the end of the year and already got a plan in place to do my A in Oz after doing some tunnel time in Malaysa ( cash is being saved). But somehow I don't know why.. I can't really imagine being a skydiver..what fascinates me though is seeing the fun people are having on videos, the community, and flying birman suits.
I read around in the forum a bit, ad found stuff like "skydiving isn't for everyone" and so on. How do I find out if it's for me ? Another tandem... AFF right away? Did anyone feel the same before starting off? :S

Edit: spellling

I can't help with the "feelings" because I was hooked from the get-go but...

I can say hang in there and look around some more in DZ.com...you are not alone in your feelings.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

For some skydivers it's not an all-consuming thing. But it's risky, time-consuming, and expensive. If the fun isn't worth the risk and expense and time (or expense and time and risk, depending on your priorities), then it's not worth it.

Nothing wrong with trying it again; going for either an AFF or static line/IAD/whatever class. You'll get more exposure. Find a club-type DZ and hang around in the evening if you want the social life aspect.

It's not for everyone. It also doesn't have to take over your life to be worthwhile.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I remember that feeling. It was really the people and comraderie that appealed to me at first. The Tandem really didn't do "it" for me. I did have the feeling that "Wow, I jumped from an airplane today! What did you do?"
That feeling coupled with the the DZ folks kept me going all thru Static line then AFF.
Now I cannot imagine not being a skydiver and being part of the community.
Hell, I wouldn't know what to do with myself on the weekends if I wasn't at the DZ. Its like having a new dis-functional family and I love it. Good Luck in whatever you do. - Daniel

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

Skydiving is something that is super enjoyable simply for the variety of disciplines and the fact that a person will never learn everying. Never. ALwasy improving.

I'd say go do another tandem. Maybe find a dropzone that is smaller and allows camping and parties and then you'll see the little things about skydiving that make it so fantastic.

As a commercial pilot, you understand the risks involved with doing something like flying. The same is true for skydiving. There are calculated risks, as with anything in life. I know quite a few commercial pilots who skydive actually. I also know lawyers, professors, computer geeks, businesspeople, salespeople, drug dealers, construction workers, doctors, and many other professions. ITs a huge variety. Go check out the dropzone and see if its something for you. You said you saw threads saying that its not for everyone....as is true for anything really. Scubadiving isn't for everyone. Riding bicycles isn't for everyone. Some people hate flying on commercial jets....

Cheers,
Travis

For me it kinda crept up on me.

After my first tandem, not only did I not have any urge to repeat it, I had
STRONG urges to NOT repeat it :)
But it stuck in my mind and grew and grew till I just couldnt take it anymore :)
Not everyone has to be gonzo from jump one. Everyone is different in how they react.
For me I needed time to assimilate it.

Now I cant imagine life without it :)
I even tried to walk away from it last year and sold my gear.
Couple months later found me ordering new gear.

That worked out real well
:P
__

My mighty steed

I did a tandem first, and while it was nice I definitely wasn't hooked and I didn't have much of a desire to do another skydive. My TM was awesome, but I just didn't have the feeling of freedom and flying that I thought I would feel and had been looking forward to. I ended up doing AFF because I was at a wonderful little Cessna dropzone with my boyfriend and everyone was having such a great time that I wanted to do it too.

I absolutely loved the first AFF jump, and I haven't been able to shut up about skydiving ever since. On solo jumps I get that freedom/flying feeling, and that's what I love.

Show up at a DZ some weekend just to hang out and you'll probably feel jealous of everyone that's flying and realize that you really want to do AFF. Or you'll realize it's not for you. Or it'll be somewhere in between and then you're decision still is a tough one. But at least that way you'll give yourself a chance to see if the skydiving bug bites you.

Edited because I didn't get my point across the first time.

Thanks everyone for posting and Pming...

Seems I have to ditch logic for once and just go for it 'till i have fun doing it. B|

@robr basically my "home" dz has a pilot & I need to invest some extra money for a stl rating and add some taildragger experience.... But in time I will definitely to get into jump plane flying also..

@chrisL: sounds familiar... scary, it doesn't quite want to let go of me

@LisaH: LOL

Can't identify with the not getting hooked right off the bat thing. I knew I had to do it the first time I heard somebody in freefall while I was standing on the ground.

After my first jump I was scared out of my witts for the next 20 jumps tho. Went every wknd and got over that then went on to great things in the sport. Later found out that it isn't the only thrilling sport in the world.

If it grabs you... Cool. If it don't... So What?

If you keep thinking about skydiving, then maybe you are hooked without knowing...

I would say do the AFF thing, not another tandem. After your first jump course, and first jump where you pull on your own, you will know...

But, I did not really enjoy it until level 5 in the AFF program...

what fascinates me though is seeing the fun people are having on videos, the community, and flying birman suits.

It is a sport second to none but some people (me included) don't realize how time and effort it takes to become confident & profiecient. I have been an avid bowler all my life & I could go to the bowling alley and practice for 4 hrs. As skydivers we can only practice for 1 minute at a time (freefall). I love the sport and have learned to take it one jump at a time and increase my skills 1/10th per jump, thats good.

already got a plan in place to do my A in Oz

Out of curiosity, where in Oz do you plan on doing your training?

Oh, and one reason to get into the sport: the people are, on the whole, lovely.

Had planned on going to Toogoolawah after seeing all the positive feedbacks in the dz section and them having good priced packages... do you know that dz? or can you recommend it?

I did my AFF course out at T'wah and still jump out there as much I can today.

We get many international people at the dropzone coming over just for AFF courses or even just to take skydiving holidays. So the place has a good friendly international type vibe.

From what I hear it is one of the best places to skydive in the world. And why not the weather is great the people are really very helpfull and the coaches have alot of experience and really give you all of their time.

They also know how to throw a bloody good party.

You should talk to Al the pilot when you arrive he has been there since it started I think and still "get his knees in breeze" whenever he's not training. I think he owns 6 planes now. Actually I think we have about 4 skydiving pilots out there that I know of. So there are plenty of people around who can give you a pilots perspective.

See you when you get here. ;)

Never try to skip a stage of natural progression...

Had planned on going to Toogoolawah after seeing all the positive feedbacks in the dz section and them having good priced packages... do you know that dz? or can you recommend it?

Toogoolawah is a damn nice fun-jumper-oriented DZ. Chilled, laid-back, etc. I think you'll get good instruction there and have a great time to boot.

If you time your course right, you could do AFF, then a Learning Curve camp in the one trip. Recommended if you have the pennies and the time...

I would say go ahead.
I did a tandem first, and I would say I was nibbled by the bug. I didn't have a strong urge to jump again, but I didn't look at the sky the same way again.
If you look at my personality I am not someone who gets hooked the first time I do anything. The more I do something the more I want to do it.
I took a vacation a month ago for a week and a half finished my AFF got my A. My head is still spinning from everyone that I meet. Now though I really do want to jump. I need to jump. I think on any good looking day hmm... it is too early in the seasion for them to be jumping during the week.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Have done quite a few LCCs - and my B at Ramblers - if you contact them you can arrange to do AFF at the LCC in the one week - someone arrived the weekend before one - left the next weekend with their A and B - worth checking out. You could probaly do the same at an ABC at Skydive Nagambie as well - also worth checking out.