Orange1

Got titanium?

Hmmm.. at Peej's suggestion, a new poll. Thought might be interesting to break down according to jumps #s. "Metal" = steel, titanium or whatever else.
If you have broken something but not badly enough for metal, please choose option 7 irrespective of jump #s. I'm sure there are lots of flaws with the way i've set this up:P
Please only answer yes to metal/breaks if they were skydiving related.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Yes, part of the titanium club, back at 180 jumps or so.... then some more screws last year :S I'm done with the metal now.... NO MORE!!!!

CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Jumped for a couple of years with titanium in my right femur, then got it all pulled out 'cause my orthopedic doctor said that would be best since I wouldn't stop jumping. Even made a couple of jumps at Bridge Day with the titanium.

I played it up one year and was Captian Titanium for halloweeen. Now I keep the rod in my gear bag and beat on other jumpers that choose to get the in the corner on their landings.

Later,
BASE864

ok... had metal and had it taken out but not because I felt it threatened safety jumping later...

I shattered my right heel on a somewhat normal landing.. no fanfare.

First step down I felt it go and then ran it out and stood there for a few seconds and then sat down and asked for a beer... felt like taking 5 steps on a bed of flaming rice crispies and needles mixed together.

Had the ortho "massage" the pieces back together and then screw them together with 9 SS screws and a SS plate.

Developed a bad staph infection in the bone and had to have all the metal removed 5 months later, have all the bone scraped off that was infected and then IV high-powered anti-biotics via a pik-line daily for another 6 weeks.

Accident happened Valentine's Weekend 2003 (not a anniversary I'm going to acknowledge), had the second surgery in June and then made my first jump back at WFFC 2003 under at monster Tri190.

It's still not the same... but when the doc took the SS out she said that aside from the screw holes that hadn't filled in again yet... it didn't look like anything had happened.

I've been back on my Samurai 136 for some time now...

Goes to show ya that anything can happen with the right angle and the right amount of pressure.... kerrrrSHNAPPO.

GraficO
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

I am about to join the Titanium club. In 3 or 4 days :)

meaning??? you are waiting for surgery or planning to break something??

Grafico- ouch - that is apparently why they prefer titanium if possible, less chance of infection

re the BASE question... i just didn't think of it :$ but on reflection - nah, a whole bunch of different risk factors. would be interesting to see results of a similar poll in the BASE forum though!

OK, so on responses so far, just over 1/3 have broken something, and in most of those cases (29%/34%)this has required metal. Of course there are jumpers who don't come back after breaking something too.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.