sparky6542

newbie asking ???

I am a new skydiver and was wondering why everybody jumps??? I have only made a few jumps and i am starting my aff this year...i cant wait...1 1/2 months and ill be falling without someone on my back...i was just wondering why everybody jumps...any feedback would be great...i plan on checking out other dz's in the midwest this summer, so any invites would be great....see ya up there....blue skies!!!

i was just wondering why everybody jumps?

As a good friend described it to me, the DZ and the sky is "my happy place". Leave all your stress and other life related B.S. in the car and go relax with you friends.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

i'm still very new but... i think you'll find the reason you jump changes as you progress in the sport, as it moves from the "adrenaline rush" thing to learning new things and trying to master them
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

for me it's the adrenaline and the speed. i've always loved going fast in cars and on rollercoasters. plus it's the best natural "high" in the world imo.

i'm still a student but i want to progress to free flying and base jumping.

there's a poster at my dz that talks about why we jump. i'll see if i can copy it and post it in the next couple of weeks. cheers
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Here's a good quote:

"The more improbable the situation and the greater the demands made on (the skydiver), the more sweetly the blood flows later in the release from all that tension. The possibility of danger serves merely to sharpen his/her awareness and control. And perhaps this is the rationale of all risky sports: You deliberately raise the ante of effort and concentration in order .... to clear your mind of trivialities. It's a small scale model for living, but with a difference: Unlike your routine life, where mistakes can usually be recouped and some kind of compromise patched up, your actions, for however brief a period, are deadly serious."

A. Alvarez

Here's a good quote:

"The more improbable the situation and the greater the demands made on (the skydiver), the more sweetly the blood flows later in the release from all that tension. The possibility of danger serves merely to sharpen his/her awareness and control. And perhaps this is the rationale of all risky sports: You deliberately raise the ante of effort and concentration in order .... to clear your mind of trivialities. It's a small scale model for living, but with a difference: Unlike your routine life, where mistakes can usually be recouped and some kind of compromise patched up, your actions, for however brief a period, are deadly serious." A. Alvarez

kind of like hitting Control Alt Delete on a PC for your brain.

I jump because I can't live without it. I am an addict. I am a rigger, Pilot, instructor, vidographer, jumper. I love it more then anything else. The people are like a family, the DZs are like my fortress of solitude. I think I already invited you to my place in WI. I cant wait to see ya. Ask for Todd.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

For 45 seconds to a minute, no one can reach me. No cell phones, no pagers, no email, no clients... No employees. No drama, no phone calls to return, messages to read, people to placate.

Me. It's me, it's all about me, and it's all about me.

My therapist told me that the stupidest thing I could do would be to give up skydiving - it's the one thing (it used to be running, still kinda is, but not so much anymore) that's just about me. And everyone needs something that's just about them. Everyone.

Oh, and after you're licensed, it's a shitload cheaper than coke, for a MUCH better high. You know. so they tell me. ;-)

When in freefall, nothing else seems to matter besides making sure you land safely. It puts your life in perspective and easily takes all stresses away. Hard to concentrate on anything other than landing safely when you're falling at 120+ MPH toward the ground.

Also, after my first jump I was hooked. Skydiving is a rush for me, but its also very peaceful. Its a thing that I can do that makes me happy!

i plan on checking out other dz's in the midwest this summer, so any invites would be great....see ya up there....blue skies!!!

Make sure you don't miss Couch Freaks' Dollar Daze!!!

http://www.couchfreaks.com/

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

I jump because there is no better way to relieve work stress than to throw yourself out of a plane at 13,500 feet, fly by yourself for 55 seconds, land, pack, and repeat. Makes you forget about the bad days at work and feel ALIVE again.

Kevin

Blue Skies and Stand-up Landings!!!!!!

I'm betting the rush, the "fear" the using your will to force you out the door despite the objections of your instincts... will subside, I thought I'd get the rush forever... nope and to be honest I don't miss it because as it fades your connection to what your doing your real focus only SHARPENS ... pardon the metaphor here but, eairly skydiving is like sex, later on its like sex without a condom! (as far as feeling goes) ... please no flames about pregnancy responsibility or disease, these are out of the scope of this terrible metaphor

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

I'm just starting out in the sport, but I am already so in love with it. Its not so much the rush of getting out the door, that doesn't really exist for me anymore. Although every new thing I get to try gives me a rush.Instead I find its more the feeling that as soon as I exit the plane everything falls into place; it just makes sense. Its also a challenge, what I am most looking forward to and why I want to keep jumping is there is so much to learn, experience, and find out about in this sport. I can't wait to learn as much as I can as I progress in the sport. Also there are many variables to each jump, so no experience will ever be the same. Plus it sounds damn cool and impreses all the boys ;)

edit: for spelling and clarity

It puts me in the moment. Nothing else matters when I'm in the air. All the little things in life that piss me off are the farthest thing from my mind. At that point I am completely in charge of my own destiny. It's an addiction, and I just can't get enough.:)

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

It puts me in the moment. Nothing else matters when I'm in the air. All the little things in life that piss me off are the farthest thing from my mind. At that point I am completely in charge of my own destiny. It's an addiction, and I just can't get enough.:)

Thats a great way to put it. Now that i think about it, all the crap that i have to go through during the week is nowhere near on my mind when im about to exit. Also, there is nothing like the serene feeling of being on that jump where everything seems to work out topped off by a nice smooth opening and landing. Sometimes i get in such a zone i dont even hear the wind. I couldn't imagine living life without jumping. Even if im a low time "weekend warrior" thats better than nothing at all. :)
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

I am a new skydiver and was wondering why everybody jumps??? I have only made a few jumps and i am starting my aff this year...i cant wait...1 1/2 months and ill be falling without someone on my back...i was just wondering why everybody jumps...any feedback would be great...i plan on checking out other dz's in the midwest this summer, so any invites would be great....see ya up there....blue skies!!!

Its the only way I can get the voices to SHUT UP!

:P

It makes me laugh now, because I remember my second tandem, while under canopy I was chatting with the TM(Yonatan :)
I haven't heard any better way to describe it. I can't explain how it makes me feel. I know that I am the happiest a couple days before I go, and a couple days after. I know that I am willing to sacrifice a lot so that I can continue to afford it. I don't think I'm going to stop anytime soon.
~Dottie

“Everything looks perfect from far away.”
Postal Service, Such Great Heights