staysafe

trouble with sit flying

I am a pretty new jumper at 70 jumps. Lately I have been trying to learn to sit fly, but constantly find myself being flipped over backwards. I have tried a few different things and think that my legs are too far forward, but am not sure. Is there a good resource for learning new flying techniques out there? Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thank you...

Having the same experince as you roughly.. i would definatly recomend jumping with a coach until you get the stable position as i did. You could be slipin and slidin all over the sky for all you know which isnt that safe. Hope your using an audiable too. The best resource is a couch.. expensive but worth it.. youll never get a good position on you own...;)

P.S should have gone in the FreeFly section :P

Im starting to figure out my sit. best advice is to just get coaching, watch videos of yourself and get good coaching, it helps. I was instructed/coached on some basic backflying after getting frustrated with my sit, sure enough, popped right into it after i could fly on my back. Recover to your back, power down, dont lean forward, the list goes on. I am an extremely novice freeflyer, so i cant tell ya specifics, but what helped me best was coaching. at my home DZ that just meant covering a jump ticket. Good luck, freeflying is fun as hell!
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Im starting to figure out my sit. best advice is to just get coaching, watch videos of yourself and get good coaching, it helps. I was instructed/coached on some basic backflying after getting frustrated with my sit, sure enough, popped right into it after i could fly on my back. Recover to your back, power down, dont lean forward, the list goes on. I am an extremely novice freeflyer, so i cant tell ya specifics, but what helped me best was coaching. at my home DZ that just meant covering a jump ticket. Good luck, freeflying is fun as hell!

Ditto :)

Coaching and video is the ticket. Try to remember your flyin' your feet, not your butt. That should stop you from fliping over. If you feel like your flipping over, punch your feet down into the relitave wind, and try to gain stability. As another said learning to fly on your back is also good way to help you become a better freeflyer'.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Posture young man posture. Also, what are you wearing? Dress for success. Many people learn to sit fly best in a pair of shorts. The reduction in drag by not wearing a jumps suit makes it a bit more simple. Keep your back straight, don't slouch, and push down with your feet, have a nice wide base, keeping your feet apart. oh yea and what they said get some video so you can see what the hell you are doing wrong.

I appreciate all the advice. I have tried some jumps with more experienced guys who all seem to think I have the basic position, but am getting my legs too far out front. I will definitely take the coach and video advice. I am really enjoying it and look forward to learning more. Oh, and incidentally, someone mentioned this, but yes I am using an audible. I do not like jumping without it. Again, thanks for the help and I'll continue to play with it!!!

Tunnel time.

Might as well get it right from the start so you don't have to re-learn it properly later. There's a lot more to head up flying than flying down the tube in a static position and the tunnel has the advantage of being very telling about what you do right and wrong.

I jump with an experienced freeflier on all my jumps but what has helped me learn the feel the most was when I got a sitsuit. I learned really quick stability and how to not slide around the sky like a lot of "experienced' idiots I've jumped with. I'm transitioning out of it now after only a dozen or so jumps in it so it doesn't take long to get the feel of it. Best thing I did for myself + video does help to see what you are doing wrong. Just something that helped me out. Good luck!

Christina
I love my husband!

Its a suit that has bike shorts on the bottom and big baggy arms with little winglets that inflate and help keep you upright. I wore one once.. and then decided I wanted to learn to fly my body instead.

Just keep after it. It probably took me about 40 jumps to feel comfortable flying my sit. Everyone learns at different paces. Some people recommended coaching. Also just doing two ways with more experienced jumpers will help.

Just a quick tip: if you end up on your back a lot, the natural tendancy is to try to "sit up". In other words, you try to pull your upper body towards your legs. This is actually opposite of what you want to do, since it creates a de-arch, and tends to keep you on your back (until you rock back and forth and eventually do sit up).

Instead, arch your back a bit. Catch air on your upper body (on your back). This will push you upright.

Generally: ask several people. I talked to at least 3 instructors (plus a bunch of freeflyers) about how to sit, and I got different advise from all of them. I tried them for a couple of jumps, and finally I "could" sit (well, for some definition of sit. At least it's not belly down!). All the advise was probably basically the same, but the different explainations helped me understand how to do it.

Also get someone to film you, or at least jump with you, so you can see (or be explained) what kind of body position you actually have.