jumpinfarmer

Tandem or AFF for first jump

I think a tandem or two is fine for several reason that have been mentioned above, but I do not recommend Tandem Progression at all. After four tandems you are basicly dumped into the middle of AFF with four jumps remaining. I know several that have gone through this and none of them have done well when they started the AFF part, myself included.

Tandems are great for sensory overload, canopy control, etc, but IMO do nothing for body position and freefall skills.

I applaud your reply. It took my doing 7 tandems before I decided to go into AFF. And I'm not ashamed of it. It was fun. I tried several places to decide where I wanted to learn. Now that I'm in AFF I have to work towards it being fun again...LOL
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

...exactly! That works for you, whether it is a path others choose or not. Your approach doesn't make your continued desire to skydive any less relevant or worthy than any other approach.

You've been doing something you love under your own terms and at your own pace. Good for you!

Keep working at it and enjoy the journey (yes, even AFF!). There are no wasted jumps. B|

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

You are a good inspiration! Because this is just NOT fun for me right now. Looking forward to the good times.
But I will say, this community is equal opportunity. You are treated the same no matter what level you are at. Such great people I've been meeting. :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Personality dependent…

If he already KNOWS he wants to go all the way?

Second Generation? So it’s in the blood?

AFF.

And that is coming from someone who has spent his entire career as a solo freefall instructor in a tandem progression arena. I have never done a tandem and can respect anyone for not wanting to make a jump with someone attached to them.

Alternatively –
I would recommend to most to start out with a tandem… Most…

Not at all gender specific - Personality Dependent…

Just my notsohumble opinion…

Not fun at all? Maybe you're just being too hard on yourself then.

You are learning to move around in a totally foreign environment while keeping your cool and making split-second decisions. Keep doing your best and listening to your instructors. They want you to succeed, too! :)
Keep a positive attitude, don't beat yourself up over being less than perfect, breathe, and smile. Things will start clicking if you remember to enjoy it.

You can do it! B|

Kim

No, it's not fun right now. I over think everything.
I'm only going to AFF3 and it's taken me 4 jumps.
But like you said, I'm doing it on my terms. Whether
I choose to or not obviously...lol
The past 4 jump have stories of their own.
Got a major thumbs up on a "great" PLF...sheesh I was humiliated.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

When I did my AFF level 1, at the end of the ground training day we had 2 options. We could either choose to take the first jump as a tandem jump or else do it with 2 JMs holding on to you...

Is that not offered at other places? Perhaps he should go straight into AFF but take the first jump as a tandem and then just continue the normal AFF progression?

I believe that it really depends on what type of person you are. I watched people landing for about an hour and went straight for AFF. I've never regreted a second of it. In fact when I'm going to altitude with tandems now, I think, "man, I don't know if I could jump without a rig on my back"!

Maybe it's safer to do a tandem first, which means that common sense would dictate doing so, but if we had common sense, would we be hurtling our bodies towards the rock to begin with?

I think we're all a little crazy, which makes for some of the best company I've ever had.

Tandem first, or static line first. Just something first. It's not a waste of money. If you stuff up your AFF1 (I saw at least two people do this the other week) then you've just wasted the same amount of money doing a retake!

Tandem is great intro for more assured progression I think. I did static line before AFF, simply 'cos I didn't think I'd be able to afford AFF, and don't regret doing any of my 3,500ft leaps. In fact, such a path into the sport is great for when you come to "hop 'n' pop" since you're already used to the lower altitudes. Also canopy control is already better, I did my AFF course off radio as a result of my previous jumps.

The only students on my course who didn't have to retake at least one level were students with previous jumping experience. Of course there're plenty of people who pass AFF no problems, but if you've got the funds, a gentler introduction can't be a bad thing. :-)

Generally though, I think you get out what you put in. If your commitment is 100%, there's no reason why you won't pass AFF first time 'round having never been in a plane. But it is hard work, albeit the fun variety you don't mind doing. :-)

I've never done a tandem, and now probably won't do one now 'cos there's not much point paying the money, unless I meet some TI who wants a guinea pig test pilot. :-)

G. :-)

Almost no one is sure what they want with the first jump. Tandems are not bad in and of themselves but the way most tandems are run is Killing the sport. It is so easy to walk away after a tandem. Half the time, the student is out the door before the TM has put his gear down. Maybe if Tandems had to train for 5 or 6 hours they would feel like sticking around and becoming part of the sport. But they don't and they have no feeling of connection with the fun jumpers.

I love tandems because it means I can make as many jumps as I want and have the hottest gear. I make a profit every year because of tandems but I would go without if I could get more people to become real skydivers.

I should lighten up but I see the sport I love going in a direction that it cannot support forever. The new blood is being sifted away and I hate it.

Sorry I blew up just got layed off. I may have to become a full time skydiver to make ends meet
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Sorry for the delay in responding...just saw this. :$

I agree there should probably be more involved with doing a tandem than paying some money, signing a form, watching a video, & getting geared up. I think if it were made to be a little more "serious" with more time spent on the pre-jump, some would take it more seriously and not look at it like a "ride."'

Against statistics, I took it seriously, was instantly hooked, and became a skydiver (out of nowhere!). I went for a tandem, thinking it would be a once-in-a-lifetime thing, but then went and did another and next thing I knew I was doing the 6 hour ground course to start AFF! :)

I feel sad when people who just did their tandem haul ass to their cars without a backward glance, but every now and then, one does. To me, those rare individuals are people who may never have thought twice about doing it, had it not been for tandem skydiving.

While I understand your reservations about tandems and their contibution to bringing in new skydivers, I think it has great potential for exposing more people to the sport who might never have seriously considered it before. I'm living proof! B|

Kim