leapdog

Skmoke canisters

I'm trying to get a PRO rating. I only want to fly the smoke once to get the rating so I'm looking for a reliable canister that will fire and burn the first time.

Does anyone know of a place to get them and are they reliable?

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I can understand only doing it once but if it doesn't light it's not such a big deal. It didn't light and no smoke burning to worry about.;) And this is a good time to use up older smoke. If it doesn't light there isn't a crowd or sponsor wondering where the smoke is.;)

But

The SIM in demo jumps talks about both freefall and under canopy use of smoke. The Pro requirements just indicate one jump with smoke, "(iii) smoke rigging-and made at least one jump with smoke"

I don't see anything that indicates the one jump with smoke can't be with tethered smoke under canopy. This may not be the intent but it is what it says.

BTW I would encourage you to do the freefall smoke jump if the training and bracket are available. Tethered is trivial after that. And they're fun. And none of the smoke is "cold". It just burns a little cooler.

Get training for this too. There are some critical things like using a steel "leader", not burning canopy on landing, not setting the grass on fire, etc.:o

But this is certainly less risky to gear and person. And represents what many demo jumpers are willing to do these days. We never minded the red stains, burn holes that looked liked a shot gun spread, toasted jumpsuites etc when we were jumping F111 gear that was $1500 total. Not too many of us, unless making demo jumps routinely for a portion of our living want to risk our $4000 rig.

IF you do this, and then IF you choose to jump freefall smoke in the future, make sure you get the instruction and do at least on practice jump with the freefall smoke.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Cold smoke would be your best choice. I've used the stuff from paragear. It's 60 sec and haven't has one fail on me (used about 6-7). Some can just take a sec to start up. What type of jump you want are doing with them too? Under canopy or in FF? . Just remember to point away from the face when lighting. ;)

I noticed that you are in FL. I'm pretty sure a bird will be bringing some smoke to zflock in apr. You may be able to purchased one or two from him. I'll pm you his dz.com name.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I would like to use it in free fall. but a hop and pop and then smoke is fine with me too.

either way I don't care as long as I can fill the requirement.

Thanks for the tips.

So I guess since I am building my own bracket, I need to place a heat shield on it. since cold smoke only burns cooler.

"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I would like to use it in free fall. but a hop and pop and then smoke is fine with me too.

either way I don't care as long as I can fill the requirement.

Thanks for the tips.

So I guess since I am building my own bracket, I need to place a heat shield on it. since cold smoke only burns cooler.

Don't ya need a "D" to get a PRO?;)

Just wondering why you only want to jump smoke once to get the rating?

Do you have some specific place or event you're wanting the PRO for to jump?

It takes a bit of work to earn that rating...take your time and learn as much as you possibly can from as many demo jumpers as are available.

There are a few right ways to do a lot of demo stuff...and about a million wrong ways...many of which can get you hurt.

Might want to look at a ready made bracket~
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=31813&d=1

~that someone with experience in that area has already tested...it's not 'Rocket Surgery' but if you haven't jumped one yet, you may not understand
what all is needed in the design and construction.

A 'heat shield' sounds vaguely like another term for 'Snag Point'...:)
(unless you sold the 'horse shoe' stunt as part of the demo act, nobody will cheer):ph34r:

Good luck, and do a quick 'post search' on this site
using keywords like~
PRO, Demonstration jump, Smoke , smoke bracket...
There is a wealth of information available here..use it alll!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Don't ya need a "D" to get a PRO?;)

Yes, I am aware of that.

Just wondering why you only want to jump smoke once to get the rating?

You answered your own question. It is sort of tough to get it. So far I have only had to do everything once. I am taking my time. I still have to log 40 more jumps and apply for a D, get five more accuracies, and jump smoke. Oh and the written test for the PRO.

Do you have some specific place or event you're wanting the PRO for to jump?

Nope. Not yet.

It takes a bit of work to earn that rating...take your time and learn as much as you possibly can from as many demo jumpers as are available.

When I actually get the rating, I will consider it a rating to learn just as I have my riggers ticket.

There are a few right ways to do a lot of demo stuff...and about a million wrong ways...many of which can get you hurt.

As in much of everything in this sport. Thanks for the heads up.

Might want to look at a ready made bracket~
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=31813&d=1

~that someone with experience in that area has already tested...it's not 'Rocket Surgery' but if you haven't jumped one yet, you may not understand
what all is needed in the design and construction.

A 'heat shield' sounds vaguely like another term for 'Snag Point'...:)
(unless you sold the 'horse shoe' stunt as part of the demo act, nobody will cheer):ph34r:

Definately considered. when I was thinking of making my own.

Good luck, and do a quick 'post search' on this site
using keywords like~
PRO, Demonstration jump, Smoke , smoke bracket...
There is a wealth of information available here..use it alll!

Did the searches and found lots of great stuff I didn't think of yet. I just figured posting new would get up to date info. I beleive that methods and equipment change over time. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for your post.

When I actually get the rating, I will consider it a rating to learn just as I have my riggers ticket.

Well... It might just be the way you're saying that that concerns me a little. But for whatever it's worth, the PRO Rating, like a riggers ticket certifies that you have accomplished a certain skill level of competent proficiency.

Hopefully a rigger doesn't pack their first reserve ever, at the time of the riggers test.

The demonstration of the basic skills required to get the PRO Rating is just that, showing that you are competent and proficient at the task being tested.

Can you really be considered proficient at jumping smoke if the one and only time you've ever done it was to get the rating?
As a professional demonstration jumper, I can tell you unequivocally...No.

I do agree that the learning process is continuous.

With practice and experience you'll continue to improve the level of your skills...when testing for the rating those skills should already be present.

Understand it's a 'rating' not an 'award', in that it signifies that through some vigilant study and training you now have the background to safely perform a Smoke jump...Flag jump or whatever, in front of a crowd.

IMO if the very first time you've ever jumped smoke..or a flag...is to get the PRO Rating, you are in no way actually 'proficient' in that skill.

I'm not trying to pick on you here, and I hope you don't take it that way...

But I've been doing high profile demo jumps for a little over 25 years and if I've learned nothing else in that time...it's that gaining the skills to safely do a demo is a process not a hurdle.

Make a bracket if that's what you want to do...but well before the rating, jump it a couple dozen times in various conditions....real world variables that one might encounter during a demonstration jump.

Try to prepare yourself for any possible eventuality and drill in the reaction / response...That's what a 'professional' does, and what the rating signifies.

I do agree that the learning process is continuous.

That is what my statement means.

Thanks for your input and willingness to help.

I
We never minded the red stains, burn holes that looked liked a shot gun spread, toasted jumpsuites etc when we were jumping F111 gear that was $1500 total. Not too many of us, unless making demo jumps routinely for a portion of our living want to risk our $4000 rig.

Hey, $1500 was a ton of dough for me back then.:D

We use a bracket that slips the bottom of the smoke grenade, where the smoke comes out, into the cut out bottom of an empty soda can. When fired off, the grenade fires into the soda can, with the smoke coming out of the drinking hole and most of the splattery goo getting trapped in the can. It seems to help a lot.

I
We never minded the red stains, burn holes that looked liked a shot gun spread, toasted jumpsuites etc when we were jumping F111 gear that was $1500 total. Not too many of us, unless making demo jumps routinely for a portion of our living want to risk our $4000 rig.

Hey, $1500 was a ton of dough for me back then.:D

We use a bracket that slips the bottom of the smoke grenade, where the smoke comes out, into the cut out bottom of an empty soda can. When fired off, the grenade fires into the soda can, with the smoke coming out of the drinking hole and most of the splattery goo getting trapped in the can. It seems to help a lot.

That's agreat idea.

most of the splattery goo getting trapped in the can

Or another method is to use some wire mesh screen
folded over the back of the smoke generator, give an inch of clearance between the exhaust hole and the mesh...two wraps with some bailing wire and you're good to go...

If the smoke bomb is 'spitting' into the soda can, it can block part of the 'drinking' hole making the the burn less uniform, and the unit hotter than it needs to be.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I popped smoke this past sunday. Very cool and I learned a few things too.

like point away from face? :D

That was one of them. I held it like I was holding a grenade and pulled pin. Old military habits die hard I guess.

I got some white stuff across my chest and on my left sleeve. I was holding the canister in my left hand. I got a little on the left side wall of my container too. Not real bad, oxy clean warm water and a soft brush may take care of that.

I got some white stuff across my chest and on my left sleeve

no comment :|
:D

at least you didn't burn anything. live and learn.

Cold smoke is good. All the white stuff came out. Oxy clean did the trick.