AEsco48

What is Flack packing? (edit: Flake)

Just a question

Do All you riggers flat pack your main.

I'm not a rigger, but I see all of them pro packing their mains, just like everyone else.

Not quite everyone else. I flat-pack mine due to the size of the canopy - 370 sq. ft. It's too large and heavy and too easy to lose a line in that mess. Hence, I flat-pack.

Not quite everyone else. I flat-pack mine due to the size of the canopy - 370 sq. ft. It's too large and heavy and too easy to lose a line in that mess. Hence, I flat-pack.

True, and I flat pack a lot of student mains that way too. I do pro pack Tandem mains, at 325 sq. ft. That's certainly a handful. :)

I always have, and I still do,, flat pack my main ( PD spectre 210 )
I almost never pack in the 'normal' packing areas though, since flat packing takes up too much floor space. I usualy keep a packing mat/drag mat handy and try to pack in the shade.B|;)

If it's real windy outside, or it gets to be night time, i'll steal a corner of the packing room and finish up promptly...

Years ago we used to "flake" a canopy,, but round canopies,, not squares...
"Flaking a cheapo" meant fixing the apex to a hook or a stake, asking someone to "stand tension", running a "4 line check" to be sure the canopy didn't have a step through or an inversion, and then manually grasping each suspension line one at a time and bringing them into the opposite hand while flipping the canopy fabric all to the same outside edge...
Once all the lines were done and all the hems straightened out, the canopy would be laid down , fussed with a bit more, maybe folded, ( maybe not ) :o;) and sleeved or bagged.
Para Commanders papillon, Sierra, starlights, etc.. were all flaked in a similar way, except those "high performance" ( hahahahaha) rounds required a bit more care, what with steering lines and apex lines.... Not much flaking going on anymore, except for pilot seat packs and round reserves. But flat packing still works very well for those who choose to do it. :)

so whats Pro and Psycho Packing?

Did you follow the link given above? As pointed out, there's a good description on that site.

Or you could ask your instructors.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

There are dropzones where flat packing is still the norm and pro packing is only done by a few people.

I came from a dropzone like that and still visit there occasionally.

I didnt learn to pro pack until I started jumping at Cross Keys
__

My mighty steed